The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV-50c Comprehensive Review?

Rolfe Tessem

I see that B&H has lowered the price back down to $9995.00.

I have a project that would benefit from a mix of B&W film and color digital. As I have a pretty large V series outfit, I'm tempted...

Does anyone know of a comprehensive review of the CFV-50c? Failing that, could I get some real life feedback from users?

Thanks,

Rolfe

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Darlene Almada shared a lot of experience about the CFV 50c, look for "darr" on these forums.

Best regards
Erik

I see that B&H has lowered the price back down to $9995.00.

I have a project that would benefit from a mix of B&W film and color digital. As I have a pretty large V series outfit, I'm tempted...

Does anyone know of a comprehensive review of the CFV-50c? Failing that, could I get some real life feedback from users?

Thanks,

Rolfe

fotophil

For 10K it is pretty hard to beat. My only complaint is that it will not mount to the body in a portrait orientation. The Phase One IQ Backs do mount in both landscape and portrait mountings at twice the price. Your money - your choice.

maxshafiq

I myself was looking at this back and had posted a question on a different forum that got some good feedback. Might be useful to you.

Link 1

I also noted another post in this forum.

Link 2

Good luck with your venture!

ChrisLivsey

Owning, still, a P20 so no square problems, the crop is the killer for me. If the sensor was larger though with the pixel density I suspect the "weaker" lenses in the line up would suffer and restrict choice down to the best two or three performers.
I know it's a pat answer and may not be practicable but they are available for hire if it's for a project, our hire houses, UK, offer a discount on the hire, waived usually, if you then buy.
Given the strong rumours of an updated version the price new may fall further and certainly more S/H will appear as they are upgraded by current users.

f8orbust

Remember, because of the falling pound sterling, you can pick up a CFV-50c from Linhof and Studio (excellent UK dealer) for £5995 = US $7800.

Rolfe Tessem

Remember, because of the falling pound sterling, you can pick up a CFV-50c from Linhof and Studio (excellent UK dealer) for £5995 = US $7800.
I hadn't realized that the pound sterling had fallen quite that much...thanks for the pointer. One more thing to consider. Do you happen to know how, if at all, this affects warranty service?

Rolfe

f8orbust

I'd contact H/B US to make certain, but ... IIRC:

Taking the UK as an example (but I think it would apply to pretty much any other country) - if you can demonstrate to H/B US that you were physically located in the UK when you bought the back (e.g. on holiday), then H/B US will respect the warranty. Otherwise they won't.

Personally, it wouldn't be a great concern - Linhof & Studio are great to deal with, and sell worldwide. Once the standard warranty period is up, I don't see any reason why you couldn't buy the extended warranty (see B&H website) if you felt the need. But again, better check with H/B.

Given the new regime in place at H/B, maybe they've gotten rid of all these silly rules - though IIRC it has something to do with H/B US being a separate entity.

Annnyyywwwaaayyyyy ... if you contact H/B in the US, let us all know what they tell you - I'm sure there are folks who could save $$$ buying the new X1D from the UK.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The only thing to consider is that VAT @ 20% will need to be considered although for a visitor you can claim it back on exit.

Photon42

I've got my CFV-50c beginning of the year second hand from a photographer and use it since then with a 501. Even though I am used to manual focussing, indoors with non optimal ambient lightning it is a bit a hit and miss with the 80. I would have, however, never thought about something like ISO 3200 before with a Hasselblad.

If you hit exposure and focus, the results are really stellar. If you don't mind the increase in weight and size compared to the 2.8/80, the 4/50 FLE is a really stunning lens with the CFV-50c. A lot of people complain about the non square format. I don't really care. There is a finder, HC-1, which works well with any 500 model, and provides eye level vision. Easy to use for portrait orientation - problem solved. I actually do mostly prefer landscape orientation and use the waist level finder.

Bottom line: this is to me the most useful and practical extension to the 500 series, I have seen. It matches perfectly with the the body and the ISO capabilities are really useful with these mostly f4 lenses. Modern MF does not really appeal to me. Not only, but also because of the pricing. I enjoy using this old stuff and having to always scan large negatives.

Hope it helps.