The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightning Trigger for MF

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone found a lightning trigger that can trigger an XF or DF+?

I suspect that that I will need to splice something together but figured I'd ask just in case.

pflower

Has anyone found a lightning trigger that can trigger an XF or DF+?

I suspect that that I will need to splice something together but figured I'd ask just in case.
Have you looked at the Pluto trigger? - https://plutotrigger.com - I have no use for it but came across it. I note that there is unlikely to be a dedicated cable available but it seems it can be triggered in other ways. If you are thinking of splicing something together it might save you a bit of time and trouble. On the other hand it may be useless for your purpose.

algrove

I have the one from the TX guy who makes a trigger and he told me he has no cable available to make it function on the XF as of 3 weeks ago.

Paul2660

Off topic, but sadly it looks like the 1 meter coiled releases are gone for good. No more plans to make them, instead, $395.00 for the Bob. Sure it has some more function, like the external power pack, (not sure I need that in the field), but disappointed that the 1 meter is no more. I Should have moved sooner when they were in stock.

Paul C

kdphotography

OT also, but I don't think moving faster would have helped much----I don't think there are many that were made in the first place. They do have the longer releases available. Sadly, I gave my old DF compatible release away---and it is usable with this new release with BOB.

ken

Paul2660

I picked up the longer 16 foot straight corded one, but will shorten it soon, to around 6-7 feet or so.

The whole issue to me of the Bob, is the stupid number of possible connections, Bob to camera is fine, but as you point out, it could be bob to camera, old release to bob. But that offers a lot open (non weather resistant) connections etc.

I just would have preferred the old standby coiled one.

Paul C

MILESF

I got a call from my dealer here in the UK on Friday asking if I wanted the new Hahnel Remote Shutter Release and it came in the post on Saturday.

It's labelled for "XF, 645DF, DF, AF".

It comes with a straight (not coiled) cable of 0.8m together with a 2.0 metre extension giving a total of 2.8m. The 0.8m cable connects to the 'single button plus slide to lock' controller which is around 2 inches long by half an inch deep and half an inch wide.

The cables have a 90 degree twist lock. Otherwise it looks like a standard audio jack type connector. Perhaps there a lightning trigger that accepts this type of cable connector. The other end is the familiar Phase plug.

I couldn't find it on their website (Hahnel.ie). Price was UK£67 plus tax.

GrahamWelland

Miles,

That's a very interesting sounding release. Does it have multiple connection plugs then for XF and DF families?

Ken,

I didn't hear about the BOB. That looks interesting although seems oriented towards indoor vs outdoor use. Phase One luxury tax associated with it too.

With respect to the standard XF cable, I have the long straight cable today and it works fine albeit about 12ft longer than I need. I'm going to shorten it plus I actually am not a fan of those coiled cables that always want to pull the release out of your hand or pull on the camera. I never quite got the point of those on any of my cameras (or flashes).

Now if someone knows the connector part for the new XF cable release there could be a cottage industry here for converting the older DF/AF cables and accessories.

kdphotography

I think the Hahnel option might have some interesting potential working with third party triggers. I'm going to sit and wait.

My thoughts are this option may also allow connecting the Hahnel cord/XF to a wireless trigger also.....

Don Libby

I'm thinking the BOB just might work on the XF/Lightning Trigger. I almost had a cable made for the XF when it first came out only to find the pins were changed. I'm thinking I can get the cable made using DF specs (which was what I had in mind) then use it on the BOB. I think I'll add that to the wish list for our next Pigs in Utah next year.

MILESF

Miles,

That's a very interesting sounding release. Does it have multiple connection plugs then for XF and DF families?
Graham,

The Hahnel has only the 12 pin connector that visually looks identical to that on one of the small batch that Phase made up with the spiral cable and Phase DF cable release for the XF. I.e. it's visually identical to the old DF one except for the number of pin holes on the connector.

The Hahnel does not have a second connector and I no longer have a DF to try it on but I assume it works with the smaller number of pins in the DF port.

GrahamWelland

I'm thinking the BOB just might work on the XF/Lightning Trigger. I almost had a cable made for the XF when it first came out only to find the pins were changed. I'm thinking I can get the cable made using DF specs (which was what I had in mind) then use it on the BOB. I think I'll add that to the wish list for our next Pigs in Utah next year.
I like the idea of the BOB but at $399 that's Alpa money for a Y connection box, 3ft cable, four connectors and a button. Heck, I'd rather buy the cables for the Hahnel release or heck even just several Hahnel releases and butcher them for interfacing to a trigger or external smart intervalometer etc. Now you know me and that I'm not often accused of being cheap but in this case I might make an exception!!

Apologies for being late to the thread, but what is different about the 645 DF vs 645 DF+ that would not allow the DF+ to use the actual "Lightening Trigger" brand trigger?

I have a 645 AF, and DF+, and I wanted to get one of the "Lightening Trigger" branded triggers.

GrahamWelland

Lightning Trigger brand should work using a modified cable. My interest primarily has been with the XF but the DF/DF+ options would be similar, albeit with a different cable. The challenge to date has been with getting hold of the requisite cable. I can use either camera (since I have both) and there is some benefit to leaving the older DF+ out in the weather vs the XF I suppose.

The only worrying thing about the XF/DF is the shutter lag. It's quite a lot longer than most other DSLRs like Nikon/Canon etc. It's ok having a trigger pick up lightning in 0.2ms but if the shutter takes 250ms to fire it definitely reduces the hit count.

OK, that makes since. Yet again another reason to keep my Nikon D3x; I have a list, albeit short, of reasons to keep the D3x.

J.D.