The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpack for XF Kit

DougDolde

I bought a Kata KT DL-3N1-33. The XF with back and Schneider 40-80mm fits the top compartment perfectly and are super easy to access. For the bottom compartment I found the included dividers pretty worthless. So I put two Photobackpacker lens cases in there. I've had these for years.

To keep it light, I don't usually carry all the lenses, though there's room for them. The Photobackpacker cases hold the pack in shape even when they are empty. I keep the stuff including lenses that I don't want to carry in the Phase One Pelican VA case

Unfortunately Photobackpacker has gone out of business.

View attachment 121037View attachment 121038

Christopher

F-stop.

I know they have the problems and it can be frustrating to get them. However, I have used countless backpacks and have found few that good.

Great to carry super flexible with ICUs.

I currently have 3 backpacks and 5 ICUs and use them to carry all my gear no matter we heather XF or Arca system.

algrove

Doug,
Any dimensions you can share, especially for the 2 larger looking cases. Assume the smaller ones hold most 72mm blue lenses.

DougDolde

Doug,
Any dimensions you can share, especially for the 2 larger looking cases. Assume the smaller ones hold most 72mm blue lenses.
The two large ones internal dimensions are 5.25"L x 4.5" W x 4" deep

The three smaller ones are 3" L other dimensions same

DougDolde

My goal was a lightweight pack that would carry the XF, back and Schneider 40-80mm and maybe one other lens like the 28mm for hiking.

I've no desire to carry all the lenses around. Much too heavy

ejpeiker

Mindshift Backlight 26L with XF, 28mm, 40-80. and 75-150... You can always leave part of the area empty or utilize it for other stuff you need on your hike. The pack is very light, back-loads, and allows you to unload it without taking it off. It's pretty cool...

View attachment 121067

bab

The don't appear to have a bag large enough to accommodate an XF and lenses ...
Check this out!image.jpg
The zipper compartment on bottom will hold any camera, then lenses and accesory inside it built like a tank and very comfortable.

bab

It appears to be the Booq Boa Flow. Not an exclusively camera backpack.

http://www.booqbags.com/products/boa-flow-16-inch-laptop-backpack

--Steve.
Your right not camera specific which is good in this case if you can find a store that has one please try it on I have had many backpacks over the years maybe 30 and this is the most comfortable you ever have one you. As for camera specific it has all the space and functions one needs.
Kaizen foam fitted in any back pack is the better way to go cut specifically for your equipment much better than camera dividers,easier to see what you want, safer, lighter and much more organized. Take all your gear to a store and try every backpack you'll never find the exact right one, but when you find one close there will be trade offs but for a light to medium weight system the Booq is still a great option and it's built to withstand major abuse.

steve_cor

Been tempted to try an fStop even with all the issues about delivery and rumors about impending insolvency. Just curious how you figure which ICU's to fit the bag you buy.

After you click Store on their website, and then ICU(10) on the left, you can click on different ICU's, and some of them have videos. There are different videos depending on which one you are viewing.

Large Pro ICU - ICU - Product

It seems the Extra large pro ICU is the same size as the entire backpack, so it is all camera and lenses. Choose a smaller ICU so you can bring your camping equipment as well as camera gear. That way it is 2 backpacks in one. ICU for your camera and lenses, and the leftover space for stuff like bathing suit, towel, swimming goggles, hat, keys, sunglasses, sunscreen, food, drinks. Actually in that case you may consider the Tamrac Corona:

Tamrac Corona 26 Sling to Backpack Convertible Camera Bag - TAMRAC

--Steve.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With FStop just pick a mountain series backpack and Large or XL ICU Pro and you are done as far as XF fit is concerned.

I'd ignore all the FUD as the bags are worth the wait and they deliver quicker than Phase One and Hasselblad in the end.

algrove

I was also worried about the "rumors". They are unfounded runours as I got an XL Pro ICU in less than 10 days from ordering.

I have the original Loka (for better peace of mind when boarding aircraft) and initially bought the L Pro ICU which left lots of space at the top of the main area for whatever extras wanted. With the XF and 6 lenses plus 2x, I find the XL Pro ICU fills the backpack, but still leaves some extra room in the top sections of the ICU's divided areas for small extras, like a Sony RX1R2 or Leica Q and extra batteries.

Last edited:

Marlyn

+1 on F-Stop.

I've got 3 of their packs, (+1 another for the missues) and a 1/2 dozen ICU's, from the Tilopa up to the new one with TeleCine ICU for carrying around 1dx + 600.

They have been all over the world in last 6 years, In the field, Especially Iceland, High arctic, Antarctic, Falkands, south georgia. Havn't missed a beat. I'll give out before the backpack does.
I fly with the ICU in a High Sierra roller bag, and then put the ICU in the backpack to shoot. Though I often now carry backpack and ICU in a checked bag, as the TeleCine is too big for carry on.

Will see if I can find a few pics of ICU's packed for various things.

I have one setup for Cambo system, another for 35mm Wildlife for flying, another for 35mm landscapes.
Will look at how to pack the XF when I get one (soon hopefully !)

Regards

Mark.

Marlyn

Couple ICU Setups.

Cambo WRS-AE, IQ16, 32HR, 60SK, 120SK, Leica RF, Lee Filter Kit, 2x Filter Holders, 2x Viewfinders, various cables.
This is my field shooting setup for the Cambo.

Thisis a Medium Pro ICU I think. Leaves room at the top of a Tilopa bag for a bit of hiking gear, and sometimes my tripod head (D4)
ICU-A.jpg

Canon 1dx II x 2, 5DSR, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8, 100-400 f4-5.6, 600 f4
This is my Flying with Canon kit for expeditions. It Generally gets shot out of a different ICU which is just 2 cameras on lenses (600mm and 100-400 normally) side by side, in the Telecine ICU.

This is the XL Pro ICU
ICU-B.jpg

Regards

Mark.