The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpack for XF Kit

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Held off replacing my Loka - good to know Ajna is similar. These guys change their bags more often than google chrome browser versions!

Can't fault the comfort of the bags though. I like that the bags have a fixed capacity when it comes to packing so that they still fit in an overhead bin on all planes. (You just have to convince the gate agent that it really isn't as heavy as it can be when full).

Deltona

I didn't know the large ICU fit in the Guru. I have both, so I guess I could just try it ;)

I 've been carrying more junk in a lotus. That takes the large ICU with just a bit of room at the top. I can get a Leica S and 4 lenses in there, which is more weight than I want to carry, but the whole ICU can go in a rolling carry-on, which helps.

--Matt
Yes the large ICU does fit and has about 6 inches of space on top, I usually put my large filter case in there.

DougDolde

One more try and I hit the jackpot. Gura Gear Bataflae 26L on sale for $199 due to Gura Gear being bought by Tamrac.

XF/IQ180, 40-80mm, 28mm, 110mm, 150mm plus assorted filters etc

gura.jpg

Last edited:

etrump

Phase One f-stop Satori EXP with XF, IQ, 28D, 35LS, 75-150D, 150/2.8D & 300/4.5. Also XL Pro ICU - small middle section has Lee SW-150 ring for 35LS (also on 28D). Limited space above the CU but plenty in the top pocket & back pockets for other stuff. I have to carry the SW-150 filters & holder in an external case.
This is my rig as well except swap the 28D for the 40-80 and the 150 for the macro 120AF. By the time I have all my spare batteries and other crap the thing weighs over 35 lbs. Add the tripod, protein and water and I'm lugging close to 50 lbs. Too much for an old man but what are you supposed to do? I love the hike more than most anything.

Biggest problem is with the EXP I have found it too slick in the straps and back. It just won't stay in place. If I'm doing anything other than a straight trail it is a pain in the backside.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I think I ended up ordering either the Tilopa or the Sukha. I cant find my confirmation email.

I know I ordered both a Large ICU and an XL ICU for my different shooting needs.

Whoops... looks like I already said this. Having teenage kids drains brain cells in a major way. :banghead:

One more try and I hit the jackpot. Gura Gear Bataflae 26L on sale for $199 due to Gura Gear being bought by Tamrac.

XF/IQ180, 40-80mm, 28mm, 110mm, 150mm plus assorted filters etc

View attachment 122894
Glad you like the Gura Gear branded backs for the XF system. My original design, way back on a napkin in 2006, was for other purposes but the design still stands for other uses (non wildlife lenses).

Just as an FYI, Gura Gear purchased Tamrac, and not the other way around. $.02

M

mjr

I had a crap time with my Gura Gear Bataflae 26, the radius for the zips is too tight so zipping around the bottom corner caused the zip to wear through and get stuck within a short time. I was promised a replacement that never came, they then just ignored a request for an update so I bought the F-stop. Shame the company didn't put it right when they had the opportunity, not impressed with the lack of use before it wore out or the way it was handled. Hope you have better luck.

Mat

jdphoto

I've been using Think Tank bags for years and find them to be superb for hiking. Very well designed and able to accommodate loads of gear. I used it for my 4x5's, but now just my RZ. Digitally, I shoot a A7RII with two lenses now and after looking at the amount of gear some pack, grateful too.

etrump

Do you find you have better luck packing with the viewfinder, lens or both removed from the body?

Ed

I'm going to try it in store on Friday when I pick those up. The lady in the store I was talking with today over the phone tried XF with Prism viewfinder.

Thanks,

Subrata

Do you find you have better luck packing with the viewfinder, lens or both removed from the body?

Ed

sc_john

Ed
Ed,

I am using f-stop Loka and Guru. I prefer WLF on XF, so prism finder is not attached. I typically store it in bag w/ 80 or 55 attached, so I can be quickly ready. YMMV.

John

DougDolde

I'm going to rescind my positive review of the Gura Gear Bataflae 26L.

As a carry around bag it's great. But as a backpack it's awful. Just trying
to remove the straps and deploy them is a total exercise in frustration. NFG !

ldhayden

Atlas Packs

New company and new pack worth a look. I have the Adventure pack and put an XF, 80mm, 110mm, 240mm, 55mm in the bag with room for the filter system I use as well. The pack feels much more like a backpack when it is being carried than anything else I've tried. I originally wanted an F-Stop but their poor track record and no firm ship date on paid in full orders made me change my mind.

The Atlas website will direct you to contact them via Instagram. Link below. Allan is who you will likely deal with once you DM him on Instagram. They are effectively working from word being passed along. I am absolutely thrilled with my pack and I did pay full price for it. They are located in AZ.

https://www.instagram.com/atlaspacks/