The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best current computing options for MF

tashley

Subscriber Member
Interesting comments/story. I used to take 3 backup 480GB OWC SSD with me on photo trips. Then one day two (YES TWO) drives failed at about the same time. One was a 6G and the other a 3G. OWC replaced both of them as defective, but the damage to my image backup and confidence had been broken with their SSD. I also will not buy OWC SSD's again. I now use the Samsung T1.

So far my 480GB internal boot drive is on a PCI card which I bought from OWC. I had better watch out!
One other thing worth noting is that the OWC internal ssd drives for Mac Pro are a non standard form factor and he quote I got for data recovery was terrifying as a result of that...

darr

In July I purchased a new Apple 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display (Late 2015) from B&H Photo:

27" Retina 5K IPS Display
5120 x 2880 Screen Resolution
4.0 GHz Intel Core i7 (Skylake)
8GB of 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
1TB Flash Storage (SSD)
AMD Radeon R9 M395X GPU (4GB GDDR5)
802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
Thunderbolt 2 + USB 3.0
Magic Keyboard & Magic Mouse 2 Included
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Added a 64.0GB OWC Memory Upgrade Kit from OWC/MacSales.

I also added a couple of WD External Drives: WD 4TB My Book Studio USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

I shoot two medium format backs (39mp and 50mp), not as complicated as what you do, but just the same, I work multiple layers at times and do not have a lot of time to waste. I could not be happier with my new iMac configuration. Best of luck to you Ed.

Kind regards,
Darr

fotophil

My new MacPro was factory equipped with only 256 GB flash drive so I looked into the options for upgrading to 1TB. I decided against the OWC upgrade because it is a non-standard configuration that does not even meet the performance of the Apple 1 TB flash drive. A better solution for me was purchasing the same chip used by the factory from a company in southern CA - about the same price as the OWC setup. The Apple System Software identifies my 1 TB Drive as being Apple.

tashley

Subscriber Member
My new MacPro was factory equipped with only 256 GB flash drive so I looked into the options for upgrading to 1TB. I decided against the OWC upgrade because it is a non-standard configuration that does not even meet the performance of the Apple 1 TB flash drive. A better solution for me was purchasing the same chip used by the factory from a company in southern CA - about the same price as the OWC setup. The Apple System Software identifies my 1 TB Drive as being Apple.
Interesting. Might you be able to share the co. name? I am so over OWC.

stephengilbert

I've had both PCI and SSDs from OWC fail. They replaced both, but I didn't trust them and sold them on (telling the buyers why).

tcdeveau

Interesting to hear stories of OWC SSDs failing. I've never bought an SSD from them, but I've bought plenty of RAM from them over the years and never had a prob with their RAM (at least to date, knock on wood). I did have problems with an OWC Elite Pro dual thunderbolt RAID enclosure. It crapped out after only about 2-3 months (would unmount during reading/writing) and started causing kernel panics on my 2013 Mac Pro. They sent me a replacement internal cable, saying the one it shipped with wasn't up to spec, but that didn't fix the issues. I back up all my RAID arrays, but it was a nice wake up call and friendly reminder that RAID 1 in a single enclosure isn't a suitable backup by itself haha.

FWIW the only 3rd party SSDs I've bought have been samsung (840 series) and they're doing fine, although they don't see heavy use. Haven't had a problem with any of the 2 Pegasus units I have yet either, again knock on wood.

shlomi

I have been using a Surface Pro 3 for a while now, and it has worked out fine for me so far.
If I was buying a new laptop, I would get a Surface Book.
I don't think Mac should be the only option considered.

I have been using a Surface Pro 3 for a while now, and it has worked out fine for me so far.
If I was buying a new laptop, I would get a Surface Book.
I don't think Mac should be the only option considered.
This has been my preferred travel computer for quite a while and I'm also quite happy with it. A bit light for hard core processing but a great travel / backup machine.

fotophil

My source for the 1 TB Flash Memory was MCE Technologies. Phone is 626-387-9748 and E-mail [email protected]
I don't see the unit currently listed on their website so there may be a supply issue - contact them for info.