The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 and my impressions.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter

That is almost exactly my workflow .
Except that I do not scan with the maximum resolution , but with the resolution calculated by SILVER FAST for my maximum print size , my printers can do .

I name the first scan the alpha scan (@scan) , from there I produce an alpha work file
(@work) and after that a final version , which then can be used for the different print sizes . As disk storage is currently quit cheap , the file sizes dont bother me at all .

Jürgen
The Flextight X5 allows to save 3F Files, which are actually RAW Files. Thus I scan in maximum resolution, let the scanner actually do nothing and have the pure RAW file.

I then do some primary color adjustment in the Flexcolor SW, which already gives me colors almost perfect to the final result. I also do some dust removal (because this is the strongest feature of the Flextight X5) and then I store this RAW file as TIFF. From that TIFF I start then in PS and do my final editing.

And thanks to your hints in this forum I store then with 360DPI to optimize for the Epson printers my printing lab is using.

Harmony - total harmony!

Totally different from the LUF!

harmsr

Workshop Member
JLM,

What I do is a quick & dirty very low quality scan / single pass first to review the images off the roll.

After I decide which ones are keepers, I scan as was stated above. I normally use the 8x pass level on my Nikon and am very happy. Not fast, but it does give me the quote "master" file to do whatever I want later.

Best,

Ray

JanRSmit

how do you handle multiple pass scanning?
I useSilverfast on my Nikon Coolscan, and this has this Multi Exposure. Which is a two pass but with some masking, creating two scans that are then composed to one, quite identical to a two-frame HDR compo or stack.
This gives good resolution and reduction of grain in dark areas. Sometimes i try also the 4 or 8 pass, but sofar no significant advantage in image over the ME.

As a rule of thumb, multi-pass improves the image result, especialy in the darker areas (less grain, better details).

What i do also is to use the manual focus to focus as good as possible on the emulsion layer, to get the maximum out of my slides. Is worth the extra time.

IQ is Technology, PQ is YOU

Jan R.