The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Final round - wide angle lens for technical camera

TsurTriger

Hello,
I need your advice about which lens to purchase.
I use Cambo Ultima + Sony A7R2 + SK's lenses + Rodie's lenses.
I want to add another lens for wide angle, around 40mm.

I was mapped all the existing options, and illuminated lens that has too short FFD (the lovely SK35XL).
I don't know how the following lens are perform on digital format (I didn't find any samples), so I will be glad to get some advises for people that use(d) one or more of those lens and can help me:

1. Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0 / 40mm (IC 90, FFD 69.5)
2. Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6 / 43mm XL (IC 115, FFD 48.9)
3. Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital 4.5 / 45mm (IC 125, FFD 55.5)
4. Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6 / 47mm XL (IC 113, FFD 52.3)
5. Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0 / 50 mm (IC 90, FFD 76)

I think 40mm-45mm will be the best length for my use, but if the 50mm is much better (and easier to find) I will consider also 50mm.

Specs of three of the above take my attention:
1. Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0 / 40mm - smallest IC but large FFD
2. Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital 4.5 / 45mm - Largest IC and good FFD
3. Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6 / 47mm XL - Good enough IC and good FFD and very popular

Pelorus

I have and use the SK 47 and it's a beautiful lens. It renders beautifully and in my experience is sharp corner to corner. I use it on a Leaf 33MP back.

masud

I am using the Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0 / 40mm on a Cambo Actus and a 50 MP CMOS sensor (CFV-50c). The lens is amazingly sharp in the corners and works well with the CMOS sensor. I have enough movement with the 44x33mm sensor to produce 120 to 150 mp wide angle images with stitching—the LCC corrections work very well and it is not extreme. With the Sony FF sensor, you should have enough movement and still be inside the image circle. It is best at f/8 but also works well at f/5.6 and f/11.

TsurTriger

I think that a digital back will be added later this year or next year. But right now I have the Sony, so I agree that I need to take the one is best for the Sony sensor. In addition, As much as I understand, all lenses that are suited for Sony sensor (or any other high pixel DSLR) will be fits to medium format digital back?
Stitching is one solution that I might use when I don't have another solution, but it only handle DOF and not perspective correction.

Geoff

Specs of three of the above take my attention:
1. Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0 / 40mm - smallest IC but large FFD
2. Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital 4.5 / 45mm - Largest IC and good FFD
3. Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6 / 47mm XL - Good enough IC and good FFD and very popular
Three very different lenses - The 47XL is the oldest, probably the closest to analog. Its a good forgiving lens, easy to use, but not in the class of the Rodie HR. I have it and like it, but only within its limits.

The Apo Sironar is more updated, and has mixed reviews. I have the 55 and like it a lot, but at its extreme edge, it too is soft. Its a great value for the money, if its anything like the 55.

The HR40 is the best of the bunch, but its large and heavy. I have not used it but reports are stellar. Many people build their entire kit around this lens.

So you have three then: an older workhorse, a good buy and decent middle if it works, and queen of the ball.

TsurTriger

Thank you all for your inputs.
I'm really appreciate your help.
So, as far as I got it right, the HR-W is designed especially for IQ180 (80MP) back and high resolution sensor.
So, I think the best lens for me is 40mm HR-W.
Someone has samples from this lens and can send me?

masud

Here is an example with the Rodie 40:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...667-technical-camera-images-2.html#post696469

In the 7 feet wide print that I made, you an read the license plates on the cars to the right, you can see what is on the desk through the window at the bottom left corner, you can clearly see people's expressions, you can see the moss in great detail on the branches, and finally you can almost count the hair on the leg of the guy who is looking up standing at the base of the tree!

Thank you all for your inputs.
I'm really appreciate your help.
So, as far as I got it right, the HR-W is designed especially for IQ180 (80MP) back and high resolution sensor.
So, I think the best lens for me is 40mm HR-W.
Someone has samples from this lens and can send me?

MrSmith

You know you will have focus issues with many of those lenses on the Actus unless you get the fixed rear standard for A series bodies?
I tried a 45mm Rodenstock and couldn't use it as the rear element protruded too much on a standard Actus/A7R combination

TsurTriger

You know you will have focus issues with many of those lenses on the Actus unless you get the fixed rear standard for A series bodies?
I tried a 45mm Rodenstock and couldn't use it as the rear element protruded too much on a standard Actus/A7R combination
Hi MrSmith,
I don't have, and I don't familiar with, Actus system. I use Ultima 35/23D.
I didn't understand what is the issue with the Rodie you tried. As far as I check, the FFD is sufficient to focus to inf.
I use also SK80L and it focus well.

TsurTriger

I have checked a few focal lengths and I think the best for me is 50mm for wide angle.
Any one had experience with Rodie 50mm HR?