The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A whole load of new products from ALPA at Photokina

gerald.d

Hi all -

It's been a long time since I've used my ALPA gear due to my photography interests heading off down a new direction. However, it is interesting to see what they have just announced for launch at Photokina.

I'm assuming this must have only gone live very recently, since I can't find any comment on these products here yet...

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras

Highlight would I guess be the ALPA Silex - seems to be the brains of the FPS but without the focal plane shutter, to be used on existing ALPA 12 systems alongside a new e-shutter control for lenses with e-shutters.

Very interesting stuff!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

tjv

I saw that. Strange. Looks like a co-branding thing with a Phase? Poor old Leaf, out in the cold.

f8orbust

Looks to me like some cheap sticker with Sony on it. Who knows why they did it - to make the point that it's a Sony sensor, or for the 'publicity' maybe ?

Where is Leaf headed these days ? I guess the only way to get a Credo 100 is buy an IQ3100 and put a 'Leaf' sticker on it ...

... I thought P1 would have announced something (i.e. Credo 100) to compete at H/B's price point for the 100MP chip.

Then again, if there was a Credo 100, why buy an IQ3100 ?

vjbelle

To me, the Silex in combination with eShutters is a jaw dropping expensive proposition and more than likely short lived considering that 'on sensor shutters' seem to be on the horizon. That would eliminate all of the mechanical shutters and leave just the need for an aperture. The digital back would be able to show a live histogram and shutter speed for optimal exposure. That, to me, would be very exciting.

Victor

Smoothjazz

The Alpa Serpent does have front swing. If you look at the Alpa website, and look at the Photokina news page, it shows more pictures. It looks like a modular system that you can configure in different ways. I think for me the benefit would be to be able to attach and use other lenses to my Alpa STC camera. I am wondering now if I should get some of my old classic large format lenses out (300mm Wollensak, 600mm Protar?) and hook them up to this set up.

vjbelle

My view of the Serpent is that it should function just like an Actus. A digital back on the rear standard and a Lens plate on the front to accept a Copal 0 lens. If it doesn't have at least that capability then they have left out a fairly large buying segment. I have always thought that if anyone could make a super precision field view camera that Alpa could. All of the other capabilities such as attaching various camera bodies and various other lenses just increases the potential uses for this camera. I can't see any reason for attaching an STC (I own one) as its really not needed. If I already didn't own an Actus (which I'm very pleased with) the Serpent would be on my radar. From the looks the standards appear to be very sturdy and that is critical for alignment. This sturdiness hopefully doesn't come at the cost of excessive weight.

Victor

TimoK

+-15 degrees tilt, geared rise and fall (how much?) at the rear standard and, do I see locking knob for tilt?

etrump

Wow, impressive offerings. I'm not interested in the tech cam but if the GON micro leveling head has an indexed rotator, I'm in.

Christopher

Wow, impressive offerings. I'm not interested in the tech cam but if the GON micro leveling head has an indexed rotator, I'm in.
Yes it looks really nice. We all know the novoflex stuff is great and yes it has index rotation. ( at least my panoramic base has them. ) this could actually be the thing wich retires my cube.