The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 12 FPS with PC-E lenses

chbenard

Hi there!

My name is Christophe Benard and I am a commercial photographer based in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). I recently purchased a PhaseOne XF and IQ260 that I will be using for my product and portraiture work. I am now comparing options regarding technical bodies for my architectural work. I already have a couple quotes for an Alpa 12 STC or a Cambo 1200RS with 1 or 2 Rodenstock lenses.

I am also very intrigued with the combination Nikon lens / Alpa 12 FPS. Before the PhaseOne I shot a Nikon D800E and still have the camera and my PC-E lenses (24mm and 45mm). I have seen some very promising results on the Alpa website using these lenses on the 12 FPS.

I would be very interested to know how much shift can be achieved when using a PC-E lens on the Alpa 12 FPS. This could be a great option for me to shoot both interiors and exteriors.

Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Nutcracker

I have PCE 24 and 90
image circle of 24 is too small for any tilt or shift on full size sensor.
90 allows a few degrees or mm of useful movement.
edges a little soft.
Hi there!

My name is Christophe Benard and I am a commercial photographer based in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). I recently purchased a PhaseOne XF and IQ260 that I will be using for my product and portraiture work. I am now comparing options regarding technical bodies for my architectural work. I already have a couple quotes for an Alpa 12 STC or a Cambo 1200RS with 1 or 2 Rodenstock lenses.

I am also very intrigued with the combination Nikon lens / Alpa 12 FPS. Before the PhaseOne I shot a Nikon D800E and still have the camera and my PC-E lenses (24mm and 45mm). I have seen some very promising results on the Alpa website using these lenses on the 12 FPS.

I would be very interested to know how much shift can be achieved when using a PC-E lens on the Alpa 12 FPS. This could be a great option for me to shoot both interiors and exteriors.

Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Thank you!

Nutcracker

Thank you for your response! That's what I thought, I have already started to look into better options.
Sadly (or not if you like quality), the path leads to Rodenstock and Schneider, unless you have access to other MF/LF lenses with adapter.

Nutcracker

Sadly (or not if you like quality), the path leads to Rodenstock and Schneider, unless you have access to other MF/LF lenses with adapter.
At long last, I have obtained a Nikkor 19mm PCE to try on my FPS.
With the latest firmware for Silex/FPs, V4 it works.
Initial impression is of very sharp lens, minimal distortion on IQ180, and not edge of corner cutoff.
I have not yet tried much shift or tilt.

But, so far, it looks like a possibly worthwhile buy.

JohnBrew

Don't overlook Arca-Swiss. The tilt and shift are built into the RM3di but as Nutcracker said you will be limited to Rodenstock or Schneider lenses.

bab

With the Silex you should be able to use other lenses with adapters also might be able to see a video someday when a consumer posts one to YouTube.

doc4x5

Not a MF user but have all three PC-E's. I've sold my Nikon bodies but do not know of any way, without a Nikon body to use these on adapted bodies, specifically my Fuji X T-2. If anyone knows of a way to adjust the aperture of these lenses on an adapted body, I'd certainly love to hear.

gerald.d

Not a MF user but have all three PC-E's. I've sold my Nikon bodies but do not know of any way, without a Nikon body to use these on adapted bodies, specifically my Fuji X T-2. If anyone knows of a way to adjust the aperture of these lenses on an adapted body, I'd certainly love to hear.
As per the ALPA website, all the PC-E's work on the ALPA FPS with the Nikon adapter, with full control over the aperture.

Details here - https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/fps-adapter-nik

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Nutcracker

At long last, I have obtained a Nikkor 19mm PCE to try on my FPS.
With the latest firmware for Silex/FPs, V4 it works.
Initial impression is of very sharp lens, minimal distortion on IQ180, and not edge of corner cutoff.
I have not yet tried much shift or tilt.

But, so far, it looks like a possibly worthwhile buy.
Well, I have now done some experimenting.
It covers the frame of the IQ180 fully, but I did not notice until later that the lens can tilt or shift if I am not careful enough (lower corners on images).
There is light fall off but correctible in C1. I have put in request to Phase for profile, and meanwhile have used that of HR23, and added 30% correction.
Lens seems sharp, with good linear correction

Attachments

Last edited: