The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

These days the camera manufacturer who gets my money will be the one who gives me ease of use features.

Like custom framing overlays in the viewfinder and a joystick to control the AF points.

Slowly camera manufacturers are waking up to this fact. Image quality is pretty much reaching the point where things can't really get much better so they need to find ways to make my life as a photographer easier. I'd love my 5D4 to have a VF overlay that allows me to shoot in 8x10 for portraits and 6:4.5 or 6:7 for landscapes.
The fact that multi-aspect ratios are not available in DSLRs and even in cameras like the A7 is absurd. Sony gives you 3:2 or 16:9. Who the hell is shooting stills in 16:9? 4:3 crop would soooo useful to me but no camera maker wants to implement this ultra simple feature. The D810 will do 8x10 ratio in VF but I prefer to shoot 4:3 at my weddings generally. That comes from shooting so much 645 I suppose.

CSP

These days the camera manufacturer who gets my money will be the one who gives me ease of use features.

Like custom framing overlays in the viewfinder and a joystick to control the AF points.
i see it absolute the same way. a cool and stylish look is not enough, hasselblad will have to learn this very soon. the fuji on the opposite gets a few things really right.

vjbelle

No doubt? Wow!! Clairvoyance?

As they say in the investment biz, “past performance is not an indicator of future results." Let's wait and see.

Joe
I have no doubts that Fuji can make very, very nice lenses. Leica, Schneider, Rody all fall into the very nice lens category but they won't ALL be very nice lenses. If they were they would be priced way beyond their current market prices. Everyone's needs are different but I simply won't tolerate any lens that isn't at least aligned properly - skewed is a common term. All manufacturer's suffer with quality controls that makes it mandatory to purchase lenses from someone who will exchange or take them back no questions asked. I wish it wasn't this way but it is......

Victor

algrove

Perhaps looks can be deceiving. I just want a great tool that gets out of my way. Now I wish I were at Photokina this year.

I have no doubts that Fuji can make very, very nice lenses. Leica, Schneider, Rody all fall into the very nice lens category but they won't ALL be very nice lenses. If they were they would be priced way beyond their current market prices. Everyone's needs are different but I simply won't tolerate any lens that isn't at least aligned properly - skewed is a common term. All manufacturer's suffer with quality controls that makes it mandatory to purchase lenses from someone who will exchange or take them back no questions asked. I wish it wasn't this way but it is......

Victor
After a certain point they are priced as to what their market will tolerate. Fuji lenses won't be cheaper than Phase lenses because they're not as good, they'll be cheaper because Fuji wants to sell many-many times more cameras than Phase does. As for having a centered lens, why would this be any harder to obtain from Fujifilm than anyone else?

Paul2660

I can't speak to GFX glass, but as far as QC on the Fuji XF glass, it's been great for me. I have yet to find a lens that needed anything adjusted. Fuji's XF glass has a great reputation also. I have to assume that Fuji will continue making the lenses for the GFX, and it's a bet I would take, (the lenses will be excellent). Plus they have a lot of heritage from making lenses for Hasselblad.

And has been mentioned already, Fuji's advancement via Firmware, giving new features to older cameras, is by far the best from any company I have seen. Safe to assume again this will move forward on the GFX also.

Only issue is the sensor and Sony, and hopefully Fuji and Sony have a good deal worked out for supply.

Paul C

vjbelle

After a certain point they are priced as to what their market will tolerate. Fuji lenses won't be cheaper than Phase lenses because they're not as good, they'll be cheaper because Fuji wants to sell many-many times more cameras than Phase does. As for having a centered lens, why would this be any harder to obtain from Fujifilm than anyone else?
I wasn't singling out Fuji...... ALL lens manufacturer's have QC issues and a decentered lens is one of the common issues. I have not owned a lens by any manufacturer yet where one or more of the lenses I purchased had QC issues regarding decentering. Like I said, everyone's needs are different. I'm a stickler for this type of issue and not trying to be anyone else's benchmark.

Victor

Paul2660

Never a fan of the X1D, already liking the design of the Fuji. The body is more SLR like (great) and it follows an already great layout of the X-T2. It's a DSLR (thanks again Fuji) nice grip and battery grip look good.

LCD moves (thanks Fuji) sorry as you grow older this become a lot more important.

The viewfinder's rotational design is very nice too, which will make vertical work very easy.

Paul C

fujifilm-gfx-3.jpg

Paul2660

The one downside I see is if they used the same Focus by wire design of the X series cameras. Not a big fan of that, as manual focus is just not that easy at times.

Paul C

BlinkingEye

I'm a little late to the party here but based on price expectation alone, I think someone at Hasselblad just threw-up in their mouth a little bit.

vjbelle

I also am not a fan of focus by wire having had my fill with the Sony lenses for A7 series. If they are standard helical focus then great..... or at least a smoother more predictable focus by wire. The image above of the camera and 110 lens looks very pretty. Not taking anything away from the Hassy offering which is very cool..... so far I think these are two home runs.

Victor

V

Vivek

While the GFX is not exactly ugly, without any doubt, the X1D is very sleek looking.

vjbelle

maybe, but there is no competition, the gfx is not "hand made in Sweden" !
You are so right...... its made in Japan!!:cool: Maybe the only better place would be China. I am convinced that the Chinese can build anything to any specification on a consistent basis.

Victor

vjbelle

Even though for some this isn't necessary I'll just repeat what I have posted previously. The Sony 50MP sensor is fantastic!! I know that some will say that its already 'old' but until Sony releases something newer this is it. I wouldn't hesitate printing all the way out to 40 inches and maybe even a little beyond with those 50MP. I just need to find a use for one of these new beauties.....

Victor

etrump

Indeed, perhaps they are building Hasselblad X1D as well. ;)

fuji has a history of building wonderful medium format cameras, the gx 680 was a class of its own and far better than anything mamiya and hasselblad offerd. i think that the new fuji can become a real game changer, in the real world and not in press releases. when hasselblad announced the x1d i was very exited but it very much seems that hasselblad handicapped this camera on propose so it does not become to attractive and they can still keep selling the h6 bodys. fuji is in total other position....

etrump

FPS could easily be replaced with electronic front and perhaps even rear shutter like silent shooting on A7rII
Reasons:

Also, the FPS, whilst allowing the higher shutter speeds, will also introduce the risk of shutter shock. And add to the weight. So for me the trade off of lower maximum shutter speeds for smaller form factor and weight and less risk of shake is worth it.