Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Fuji GFX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Fuji GFX

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    the 19mm equivalent wide and the super fast 100 ....
    lets hope those lenses are MF full frame ready, that would be a big thing! very BIG

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol. Now this one is a big investment either way you chose. Gotta be smart on which direction you go. I know several things these two systems represent the new MF world that has not been tapped before. So the small, light look is really nice. This really helps existing users but brings fresh blood into MF, so right out of the gate Hassy and Fuji are hitting us with a new concept that seems to hit a lot of check marks for people. Spending 50 k is painful let's be honest I don't care how much disposal income you have. Taking a 50 k investment in the field is scary stuff. Getting in around 20k feels a heck of a lot better. Anyway you have to look at features that make sense and more important build a system with. That's sales, service, loaners, repairs and accessories to build the system. Is their flashes , triggers, remotes and all that in place. Stuff you need to look at. They look to have vey similar sensors which is a great CMOS sensor from Sony. Now it comes down to everyone else and more important it's not about the label. Gotta get over the label folks. It's on this thread too. I shoot a shitty Sony according to half the world. Ask me if I care, my clients have no clue as long as it's good.

Good luck everyone. I got a kid in college so that officially keeps me from playing in this field
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 19th September 2016 at 20:09.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The game has changed. Medium format re-invented:

http://fujifilm-x.com/gfx/

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Per Fuji site:

"The camera also supports tethered shooting, which has become an essential part of the professional photographers’ workflow, and will be compatible with various RAW conversion application software."

very interesting comment.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

I want a silver one.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    I want a silver one.
    LOL...Already Hassy has a special edition Black color X1D available for preorder. Nowadays if a camera is released in silver, people Ooo and Aahh for a black color and visa versa.

I like the idea of Fuji using. FPS for adaptability with 3rd party lenses but this often isn't always the panecia that one hopes for.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

leaf shutter ....focal plane shutter......

quoting ironman: "is it too much to ask for both?"

Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy,

Yes an interesting camera. Fuji says that they have been involved with the sensor design. I would still assume that it is basically a Sony sensor, but perhaps with a different feature set.

The great question on my mind is weather there is an Electronic first shutter curtain. We have seen that normal FPS causes vibrations in the shutter speed range typically used on tripod.

FPS is not good for those who need overpower the sun with flash. Landscape shooters would need a nuke for that...

In a way, the GFX looks like a photographers camera. Designed for usability and not for bling.

Fuji has done a good job on APS-C and I am sure they will do a great job on MFD.

Will it be on my shopping list? I don't think so, spent to much on gear recently and the barns are empty and the A7rII with Canon and Contax lenses mostly fill my check boxes.
    Anyway, MFD just got some new infusion of blood.

It is nice that the camera has user selectable aspect ratio. Obviously we can always crop in post but it would make composition easier if there was a mask in the viewfinder.

Personally, I would prefer to just have a deal to mask out part of the EVF, either vertically or horisontally.

After shooting Hasselblad I tend often to more quadratic composition. The Hassy viewfinder has shown four different crops, with the Phase One P45 mask. Full 66,
    49x37, 37x37 and 37x37.

I am impressed by the new GFX but also some Kudos to the X1D, but sorry to say, I don't mind a camera hand made in Japan...

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Lol. Now this one is a big investment either way you chose. Gotta be smart on which direction you go. I know several things these two systems represent the new MF world that has not been tapped before. So the small, light look is really nice. This really helps existing users but brings fresh blood into MF, so right out of the gate Hassy and Fuji are hitting us with a new concept that seems to hit a lot of check marks for people. Spending 50 k is painful let's be honest I don't care how much disposal income you have. Taking a 50 k investment in the field is scary stuff. Getting in around 20k feels a heck of a lot better. Anyway you have to look at features that make sense and more important build a system with. That's sales, service, loaners, repairs and accessories to build the system. Is their flashes , triggers, remotes and all that in place. Stuff you need to look at. They look to have vey similar sensors which is a great CMOS sensor from Sony. Now it comes down to everyone else and more important it's not about the label. Gotta get over the label folks. It's on this thread too. I shoot a shitty Sony according to half the world. Ask me if I care, my clients have no clue as long as it's good.

Good luck everyone. I got a kid in college so that officially keeps me from playing in this field

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well there are ways to get around the sun with flash . Most units now are HSS and even some big units that are working very well. I'm using Godox AD360Ii units and they even have a 600 watt unit. So today there are some very viable units that where not around awhile back. So things have changed for the better. Reason I prefer FS as we get faster too end speeds for various uses. Still a matter of choice. Also we have no idea if FS is even remotely a issue on this. I don't believe any specs to a point until things are in production. We just have to see for all those that want leaf shutters there are equal amounts that want focal. I just see focal having more advantages overall.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post

They can always add LS lenses to this system but the other way is impossible!
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    The great question on my mind is weather there is an Electronic first shutter curtain. We have seen that normal FPS causes vibrations in the shutter speed range typically used on tripod.

FPS is not good for those who need overpower the sun with flash. Landscape shooters would need a nuke for that...
    I might be wrong but I don't think IMX161 supports electronic first curtain. Shutter vibration as the first generation Sony A7R could be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    There are like 6 people left using tech cameras and they are all on this site so I don't think that will make or break the Fuji's success.
    My God I'm part of a Sextet!

Victor
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post

Best regards
    Erik
    As Guy says - it depends on the lights that you use. My strobes put out up to 1000w of lights each and can sync at any power/sync speed up to 1/8000 of a second.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post

I have a feeling that Fuji will address this in coming releases. No reason not to really. As much as I like the Pentax 645z and that whole system, Pentax doesn't invest enough in it to grow. Leaf shutter lenses have been asked for, for years, and there is nothing in sight. It's the only complaint people have about the system and it's mentioned in every review out there. If Fuji wants to be smart, they'll come out with 2 or 3 CS lenses and call it a day. If only to do nothing other than get 'internet experts' to shut up.

Leaf shutters can be nice to have but I often put things in perspective too. Needing that 1-2 extra stops of sync speed is generally important when you're beating the sun or freezing action with strobes, out doors, at wide aperture. How often are you REALLY encountering that situation? In a dim studio your flash duration and 1/125 should be just fine, yet people act like it isn't even possible to use strobes with a FPS. As for shutter shock, it's so ridiculous and typical of forum-expert-chattering to start worrying about shutter-shock before anyone even has their hands on the camera. Somehow Idk I just think the designers at Fujifilm may have thought of this! Have a little faith. Does the Phase One XF has shutter shock when using the FPS? Does the 645Z? I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the Phase One XF has shutter shock?

Phase One gets by with a sticker shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    As Guy says - it depends on the lights that you use. My strobes put out up to 1000w of lights each and can sync at any power/sync speed up to 1/8000 of a second.
    Profoto and now Broncolor just announced HSS triggers for their strobes and Elinchron did a little while back. So again lots of big powerful units. Problem is they are Canon, Nikon and Sony not seeing Fuji. Now they could use Nikon shoes like Hassy is doing, but anyway you have to look into this . Don't forget tethered as well. Here I'm a C1 guy so it looks like Fuji might be supported. Hassy has Phocus but I think you can use Lightroom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post
    Phase One gets by with a sticker shock.

But didn't you hear they have a 'low cost' digital back now for only 30 grand? Or maybe Doug can still sell you one of those ancient 40mp CCD backs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Profoto and now Broncolor just announced HSS triggers for their strobes and Elinchron did a little while back. So again lots of big powerful units. Problem is they are Canon, Nikon and Sony not seeing Fuji. Now they could use Nikon shoes like Hassy is doing, but anyway you have to look into this . Don't forget tethered as well. Here I'm a C1 guy so it looks like Fuji might be supported. Hassy has Phocus but I think you can use Lightroom.
    True.

I think between the second generation Fuji bodies and the GFX that Fuji may begin to receive more love in the future with demand. I see that PocketWizard is now supporting Panasonic Micro 4/3 now and the company, Priolite, that I represent supports Pentax so there is or should be some hope for the future possibility in regards to Fuji support if their products sell. They seem to be emerging a bit out of the obscure shadows and I think it was a good decision to part away from X-Trans with the GFX.

Post Thanks / Like

Some new info from DPReview's hands on:

"Hands-on with Fujifilm GFX 50S at dpreview:

The first thing that strikes you when you pick up the GFX 50S for the first time is its weight – or rather it’s lack of weight. Considering the size of its sensor, the GFX 50S is impressively small and light.

The body is weather-sealed and build quality is superb

The viewfinder is lovely, and at least a match for the excellent finder in the X-T2 in terms of clarity and size.
    impressively short flange-back distance

Despite the obvious similarities to the imaging chips used in the Pentax 645Z and other cameras, Fujifilm is insisting that this is a new, Fujifilm-developed sensor"

https://www.dpreview.com/news/031051...jifilm-gfx-50s

I still think when Fuji say's it's a new Fujifilm developed sensor that it must be a specific order based on the existing Sony sensor. Still, we have seen big improvements to one sensor over a short term. Look at what the D810 did for that 36mp sensor. Also that's great to hear about the VF. Now it just remains to be seen how good the AF can be.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the image circle for the Canon T/S 17mm? Will it work? How long until there is an adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

I got a kid in college so that officially keeps me from playing in this field
    I feel your pain. Feel good about only one in college. Had two in undergrad. Got one graduated then announced she is going to grad school after being out for one semester. It will be along time before I can play, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkingEye View Post
    What is the image circle for the Canon T/S 17mm? Will it work? How long until there is an adapter?
    The Canon 17mm IC is 67mm, 33x44 has a diagonal of 55mm, so it's definitely big enough to cover unshifted, and also allow for some movements, the question is the acceptable range.
    The lens has a native 12mm shift on FF35, and in terms of width 44mm is 8mm wider, so you have about 4mm of "intended" shift remaining horizontally, but a lot more vertically, which I reckon is what most people are interested in.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

More here: http://fujiaddict.com/2016/09/19/fuj...ced/#more-2371

Performance will be the big question though. The AF might very well suck. High hopes though!
    in opposite to hasselblad they already showed they can build a real working evf camera. we will see if there are more problems than missing features in the x1d firmware. a good af drive algorithm seems not an easy task (ask sony ) but i´m optimistic.....

Post Thanks / Like

Very intriguing camera! I am a dual Fuji X/Hasselblad H shooter and this looks to go a long way to offering the best of both worlds. Some random thoughts:

-The EVF looks quite innovative and designed well. Neat that they designed a removable viewfinder that can orient itself in a few different configurations without compromising rigidity or hot shoe access by the looks of things. When installed it looks like it is part of the camera and not an "add-on". Reminds me of the interchangeable prisms the Nikon Fs had.

-I hope the responsiveness and EVF are improved over the X1D. Granted I handled an X1D on beta firmware so it may be much improved by now.

-I'm not expecting XT2-like autofocus, but I sure hope it is better than XPro1 at launch.

-Focus by wire is disappointing, but it has come a long way on the X series. I'm finding that the better the AF the less I need to focus manually, though, so if the AF is decent then it may not bother me that much.

-Interesting and awesome that they put Hasselblad style strap lugs on it, which is surprising given that Hasselblad themselves seem to have moved away from them. I always liked the design of those.

-Focal plane shutter only (for now?) is disappointing, but so was the leaf shutter only of the X1D. I want it all! Both have their strengths... it would be great if they offered some LS lenses in future. Also awesome would be some first-party adaptors from Fuji to use H lenses (or others, a la Leica S) with AF and shutter firing. They wouldn't even need to reverse engineer the protocol....

Well done Fuji! Competition is a good thing. It is nice to see so many exciting products in the MF space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    lets hope those lenses are MF full frame ready, that would be a big thing! very BIG
    What would be the purpose of Fuji designing new full frame lenses to support their new half frame camera body?

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji in their opening press conference stated the existing lenses were designed to accomidate 100MP resolution needs.

Not sure if Sony/Fuji see a 100mp 1:3 cropped chip in the future or if the IC of new lenses can take existing 100 mp 54 X 43 sensor such as the current 100MP Sony. For sure it won't happen anytime soon.

Paul C

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Fuji

For the past many years I have heard countless of serious photograhers clamoring for an X-pan digital camera. I'm sure Fuji has also received this message and knows theres a willing and able market. Something tells me up to this time its not so simple as stiching togther sensors to achieve the necessary aspect ratio or it might have been rumored by now that its being considered for production. I do believe doing so is an evolutionary step and if their new mirrorlesss mf camera and system is a success, that an xpan digital might not be that far off.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Fuji in their opening press conference stated the existing lenses were designed to accomidate 100MP resolution needs.

Not sure if Sony/Fuji see a 100mp 1:3 cropped chip in the future or if the IC of new lenses can take existing 100 mp 54 X 43 sensor such as the current 100MP Sony. For sure it won't happen anytime soon.

Paul C
    That's a new computer. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Fuji

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    For the past many years I have heard countless of serious photograhers clamoring for an X-pan digital camera. I'm sure Fuji has also received this message and knows theres a willing and able market. Something tells me up to this time its not so simple as stiching togther sensors to achieve the necessary aspect ratio or it might have been rumored by now that its being considered for production. I do believe doing so is an evolutionary step and if their new mirrorlesss mf camera and system is a success, that an xpan digital might not be that far off.

Dave (D&A)
    i believe there's a 6:17 crop mode included on this camera along with 1:1, 4:5, 3:2, 16:9, 6:7, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post

Paul C
    My personal opinion is that the next evolution of this chip will be a 55-75mp BSI version with silent shutter and EFCS capability

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing: seen the Fuji yesterday in Cologne, looks very nice in Design, but even more impressive:
    All six lenses were standing in Line and ready to be tested (for Journalists) on the camera.

This alone tells the story of why it is much easier to build FPS Lenses, compared to Leaf Shutter versions.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DPreview
    Despite the obvious similarities to the imaging chips used in the Pentax 645Z and other cameras, Fujifilm is insisting that this is a new, Fujifilm-developed sensor.
    Well that is interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Well that is interesting...
    Chips are made using a manufacturing template, so as long as your modifications fit within the capabilities of the hardware without retooling, you can still make meaningful changes. Two years have passed since this chip hit the market, I'd sure hope that some headway in sensor tech was made in the meantime, quite possibly something that would aid them in making the sensor more applicable for use in a mirrorless camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the 110mm F2 and got all excited.

Mirroless 645z with an F2 lens. Haha zomg. Worth the undisclosed price point alone.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Does anyone know if this would work with Leica M lenses (for a scuare format)?

this would give a scuare 36.8 mp image

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gero View Post

It should be possible. Leica M is supposed to be 27.8. It might be a weird looking adapter though.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some weird looking adapters are possible for this camera. As long as the lens rear is ~18mm away from the focal plane, it will not interfere with the shutter operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Some weird looking adapters are possible for this camera. As long as the lens rear is ~18mm away from the focal plane, it will not interfere with the shutter operation.
    It should be possible. Leica M is supposed to be 27.8. It might be a weird looking adapter though.
    Thank you, I would like to try the 15,12 & 10mm lenses in scuare format.

It woud have been good if the grip was detachable.

Post Thanks / Like

"maybe" or yes... it will work on cameras like the actus .... so other companies have to change their mind, sorry - their strategy

[ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

More news:

Fujifilm knows that Autumn is approaching, and has seen the importance of the "leafs".

"There will be a range of adapters to connect third-party lenses to the GFX 50S, including leaf shutter lenses for studio and flash work."

I've often thought that the Hasselblad V lenses are perfect for adapting, if someone could just figure out how to fire and cock the central shutter, and optimize the sensor to catch that exposure. Hopefully we'll have that option. 60/3.5 Distagons anyone?

Now if I hear one more person complaining about leaf shutters I'm going to cr*p myself.

Source:

Fujifilm GFX 50S * The Facts & The Future.... and about Leaf Shutter Lenses, Electronic Shutter, "Fuji Designed" Sensor & more! - Fuji Rumors
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've often thought that the Hasselblad V lenses are perfect for adapting, if someone could just figure out how to fire and cock the central shutter, and optimize the sensor to catch that exposure. Hopefully we'll have that option. 60/3.5 Distagons anyone?
    I know stacking adaptors isn't exactly ideal, but perhaps with a Hasselblad H adaptor one could utilize the existing very nifty CF adaptor Hasselblad made to fire C lenses on the H system?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post
    I know stacking adaptors isn't exactly ideal, but perhaps with a Hasselblad H adaptor one could utilize the existing very nifty CF adaptor Hasselblad made to fire C lenses on the H system?
    I think the Fuji GFX is a wothy successor of the Mamiya 7II. Stefan Steib, do you think it is possible to adapt your HCAM Mirex adapter to the Fuji GFX? This would be great. All the canon lenses and the mid-format lenses with a second Mirex could be used.

Greetings from Zweibrücken, Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    "maybe" or yes... it will work on cameras like the actus .... so other companies have to change their mind, sorry - their strategy

Is it possible to build your own camera (a la swc) with a medium format digital back to take scuare format wide angle pictures with leica M lenses? And compose through the digital back sreen? Or is this the first camera that can do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to build your own camera (a la swc) with a medium format digital back to take scuare format wide angle pictures with leica M lenses? And compose through the digital back sreen? Or is this the first camera that can do this?
    I would slow your roll a little bit there. While that sounds like a great idea... I'm not totally sure M wides would perform all that well on this sensor, especially if you're trying to utilize a 36x36mm square. Some M lenses don't even do that well on the M. From what we've seen from Sony only the Kolari mod cams can take full advantage of M wides. Certain newly designed specialized lenses like the 21/1.4 or CV 21/1.8 might do okay, but that's a big "might." Your best bet for super-wide might just be that 23mm Fujinon. If you can make it work though, I would love to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    The Canon 17mm IC is 67mm, 33x44 has a diagonal of 55mm, so it's definitely big enough to cover unshifted, and also allow for some movements, the question is the acceptable range.
    The lens has a native 12mm shift on FF35, and in terms of width 44mm is 8mm wider, so you have about 4mm of "intended" shift remaining horizontally, but a lot more vertically, which I reckon is what most people are interested in.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

As I read the posts for both the GFX and the X1D I see two different trends. The X1D has numerous posts about heating issues, firmware issues, not ready for prime time yet, lenses delivering way into 2017. Here I sense a camera that is absolutely ready to go. Everything thought out and will work..... which is the most important attribute of any new camera. There is a fair amount of talk about the 'Cool' look of the Hassy and you bet..... it sure is cool. But I don't think its ready and, to me, that's a big deal. I have a ton of confidence for the Fuji lenses even though I would have to test any purchase but that's just common sense. I also think its very refreshing that Fuji is aware of Leaf shutter needs for some users. I see some wishing for V lenses of which I own quite a few. I've tried using them on numerous Digital platforms but they stay in a drawer. I had a mint SWC that I sold a couple of years ago and will never miss other than for its cool looks. I also have a 60mm Distagon which I wouldn't even use for a doorstop...... yes its that bad - they all are. Even my venerable 180mm is not up to speed with modern lenses so for me I would never, ever use V lenses on this or any digital camera..... YMMV. So...... for me as uncool as it looks this is the new entry that I think is really ready for prime time......

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would slow your roll a little bit there. While that sounds like a great idea... I'm not totally sure M wides would perform all that well on this sensor, especially if you're trying to utilize a 36x36mm square. Some M lenses don't even do that well on the M. From what we've seen from Sony only the Kolari mod cams can take full advantage of M wides. Certain newly designed specialized lenses like the 21/1.4 or CV 21/1.8 might do okay, but that's a big "might." Your best bet for super-wide might just be that 23mm Fujinon. If you can make it work though, I would love to see it.
    Gero's thinking may work out.

Check out: https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/...mat-mirrorless

The Fuji guy is saying that the sensor is made with offest microlenses and also without an AA filter (unlike Sony cams).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji looks blue collar unit
    Hassy looks more white collar

To me the Fuji may appeal more to a working Pro type cam.

I like them both actually so don't get hell bent over it. For me I'm considering the Fuji more at the moment

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post