The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

Jamgolf

2016 has been a remarkable year for medium format cameras and photography.
The doom and gloom scenarios being painted last year now seem quite silly.
So far in 2016 the following products have been delivered, announced/unveiled or rumored:

- Phase One IQ3 100MP
- Hasselblad H6D 100c
- Hasselblad H6D 50c
- Hasselblad X1D mirrorless 50 MP
- Hasselblad V1D 75 MP square format
- Fuji GFX mirrorless XT big brother

This is fantastic.

CSP

Christopher

Any news on the sensor ? I heard they claim it's a new one. I thought it would be the good old 50Mp sensor.

Any news on that ?

More here: http://fujiaddict.com/2016/09/19/fujifilm-gfx-announced/#more-2371

Really smart planning a 110/2. Wish that 63 was f2.

Performance will be the big question though. The AF might very well suck. High hopes though!

- - - Updated - - -

Any news on the sensor ? I heard they claim it's a new one. I thought it would be the good old 50Mp sensor.

Any news on that ?
New as in a new fab based on the existing one Sony makes I'm sure. No hard details though. I can't imagine they're getting anything other than a Sony.

CSP

" In addition, an optional adapter makes it possible to fit the EVF in any angle" this is not a boutique camera this is for real working photographers love it !!!

Paul2660

Pricing may surprise a few. First pass seems to be around 10K for camera viewfinder and 63mm lens. Still less that competition but more than I expected.

Paul C

Pricing may surprise a few. First pass seems to be around 10K for camera viewfinder and 63mm lens. Still less that competition but more than I expected.

Paul C
If I had to guess, $8k for a basic kit. They'll want to compete with Pentax on SOME level, and that's exactly what the Z costs with the 55 IIRC.

vjbelle

Very, very exciting. Of course, its all about the quality of lenses for me. Fuji surely knows how to make em..... The camera itself will more than likely be succeeded within three years. Still....... very exciting!!

Victor

- - - Updated - - -

Paul C
Not bad at that price...... less than that would be extremely enticing.

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
I was holding off ordering the X1D until I saw what Fuji had to offer and now I think I'm going for the Hassy.

Reasons:

This is to be a lightweight travel MF capsule system for me. Most important is the 24-70mm range which, with the new lens Hassy announced today, is now covered. What I really value is the svelte form factor and low weight and you'll notice that Fuji haven't announced a weight for the GFX - and I'm guessing I know why: this is more a competitor to the full fat MF systems we have already but without the swappability.

Also, the FPS, whilst allowing the higher shutter speeds, will also introduce the risk of shutter shock. And add to the weight. So for me the trade off of lower maximum shutter speeds for smaller form factor and weight and less risk of shake is worth it.

I also don't want to build a big system around this for my use-case. And, as I get older, I want my cameras to have some 'thingness' - which the Hassy looks like it has in spades and which the Fuji looks like it lacks. The Sony A7RII is most of the camera I ever need but it feels like a computer - whereas the Leica Q feels like a camera.

Despite that I'll be trading in my brand new replacement, not even un-boxed or used Q* agains the Hassy because even though I love it, it is slightly too limiting.

We all have different logics in choosing gear and mine aren't in this case driven by commercial logic but by desire: desire for smooth tonality, high DR, 'thingness' and light weight. Desire for something different. Desire for something bloody expensive.

* a long story: it's a passport replacement but the passport expired just as the unit was replaced.

tcdeveau

Very interesting. Sold my H4D-40 last week and was pretty set on ordering an X1D, but may rethink that now. I'm liking the GFX lens roadmap...the 23mm and 110 f/2 in particular.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Tim,

I don't think that we have seen the full specs of the X1D or the GFX. A focal plane shutter combined with Electronic First Shutter Curtain is essentially vibration free and I don't think Fuji would make a camera without that feature.

Personally I will not buy either the Fuji or the blad, I have spent to much on gear, so the barns are empty.

I also ask myself, what issues will a camera solve. In that regard I don't see a lot of benefits from small medium formats.

One important thing is taht X1D has leaf shutter while the Fuji has focal plane. Leaf shutter is great for electronic flash outdoors, while FP gives a lot of flexibility with lenses and soloution.

Best regards
Erik

I was holding off ordering the X1D until I saw what Fuji had to offer and now I think I'm going for the Hassy.

Reasons:

This is to be a lightweight travel MF capsule system for me. Most important is the 24-70mm range which, with the new lens Hassy announced today, is now covered. What I really value is the svelte form factor and low weight and you'll notice that Fuji haven't announced a weight for the GFX - and I'm guessing I know why: this is more a competitor to the full fat MF systems we have already but without the swappability.

Also, the FPS, whilst allowing the higher shutter speeds, will also introduce the risk of shutter shock. And add to the weight. So for me the trade off of lower maximum shutter speeds for smaller form factor and weight and less risk of shake is worth it.

I also don't want to build a big system around this for my use-case. And, as I get older, I want my cameras to have some 'thingness' - which the Hassy looks like it has in spades and which the Fuji looks like it lacks. The Sony A7RII is most of the camera I ever need but it feels like a computer - whereas the Leica Q feels like a camera.

Despite that I'll be trading in my brand new replacement, not even un-boxed or used Q* agains the Hassy because even though I love it, it is slightly too limiting.

We all have different logics in choosing gear and mine aren't in this case driven by commercial logic but by desire: desire for smooth tonality, high DR, 'thingness' and light weight. Desire for something different. Desire for something bloody expensive.

* a long story: it's a passport replacement but the passport expired just as the unit was replaced.

CSP

No doubt? Wow!! Clairvoyance?

As they say in the investment biz, “past performance is not an indicator of future results." Let's wait and see.

Joe

does this also count for hasselblad or is this fuji only ? have you seen a test of the non fuji hasselblad lenses ?

No doubt? Wow!! Clairvoyance?

As they say in the investment biz, “past performance is not an indicator of future results." Let's wait and see.

Joe
I mean do you really think that Fuji would just somehow put out a bunch of dog lenses for their first MFD? Can you name an on-brand camera maker today that is releasing even mediocre glass? The lenses are going to be as good as anything out there. The days of one lens maker being far and above the rest are long gone.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Hasselblad publishes measured MTF-data on all their lenses. MTF doesn't tell the whole story but tells a lot.

Best regards
Erik

does this also count for hasselblad or is this fuji only ? have you seen a test of the non fuji hasselblad lenses ?

ErikKaffehr

Fuji has an excellent reputation as a lens maker. Both small formats and large formats.

They make all the lenses for the Hasselblad H-system.

Best regards
Erik

I mean do you really think that Fuji would just somehow put out a bunch of dog lenses for their first MFD? Can you name an on-brand camera maker today that is releasing even mediocre glass? The lenses are going to be as good as anything out there. The days of one lens maker being far and above the rest are long gone.

Chris Giles

These days the camera manufacturer who gets my money will be the one who gives me ease of use features.

Like custom framing overlays in the viewfinder and a joystick to control the AF points.

Slowly camera manufacturers are waking up to this fact. Image quality is pretty much reaching the point where things can't really get much better so they need to find ways to make my life as a photographer easier. I'd love my 5D4 to have a VF overlay that allows me to shoot in 8x10 for portraits and 6:4.5 or 6:7 for landscapes.