The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

V

Vivek

DPReview amongst others have noted that use of the EFC on the A7RII makes for noisier shadows. In my book, that means less effective DR. EFC also causes problems with fluorescent lights (not a problem for me) and can cause a rolling shutter effect too.

I believe those are all facts, and fairly straight ones.

In other words, EFC is not a 'free lunch'.
Jeez! I guess you do not understand what causes a drop in DR and what does not!

EFCS = Electronic First Curtain Shutter. No drop in DR or rolling shutter!

Electronic shutter aka "silent shutter" with no moving mechanic parts, there is a drop in DR and it also causes rolling shutter and problems with fluorescent light (banding).

hcubell

My understanding is that the Sony sensor does not have an EFCS capability, so the potential for shutter shock with the Fuji
is real.

gebseng

The fact that multi-aspect ratios are not available in DSLRs and even in cameras like the A7 is absurd. Sony gives you 3:2 or 16:9. Who the hell is shooting stills in 16:9? 4:3 crop would soooo useful to me but no camera maker wants to implement this ultra simple feature. The D810 will do 8x10 ratio in VF but I prefer to shoot 4:3 at my weddings generally. That comes from shooting so much 645 I suppose.
Right on, this is so true!

Frederic

Not so sure he's shooting tethered, and the pics in the C1 browser are JPGs.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the most important feature of the GFX. In the video they have posted of the fashion shoot, the photographer is quite clearly shooting tethered to C1 PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tashley

Subscriber Member
My understanding is that the Sony sensor does not have an EFCS capability, so the potential for shutter shock with the Fuji
is real.
That sounds right - though I have also read that Fuji are claiming that this is a new sensor, implying that it isn't the same 50mp Sony unit found in other cameras - though maybe it is and they simply asked for some bespoke tweaks?

iiiNelson

Sooooo are we really gonna start a "brand war" on two unreleased cameras!?! Sweet Jesus...

So here's the thing. Both cameras look great.

My main concern over the X1D would be no tilting screen, shutter speed outdoors if/when faster lenses are released and the long term build quality of leaf shuttered lenses (mostly due to my own ignorance) for a camera that won't always be in studio. Other than that - I'd love a 4116 version in all black.

My main concern for the Fuji would be X-sync maximum speed, software support for a dedicated MF system, and if lighting companies are going to put out Fuji compatible wireless controllers. The body seems great and if the price of entry is closer to $8k with the normal lens than $10k then I think they'll have a winner. If the quality was there I'd dump a few bodies that weren't my A7RII and just keep the long lenses for it.

drevil

Staff member
FPS, well, THAT's the game changer, the A7 of MF

i am not necessarily interested myself, but i am quite sure that fuji will sell tons of those!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
No brand war here ... folks just talking ... about a lot of unknowns.

Me ... I know Hasselblad ... from 1984 through the present ... and if they just attempt to
maintain the quality it will all work.

I have done the Fuji thing ... with H1 H2 H3D 39 lenses and all the newer X cameras. Had an XPan ....

Nothing revealed today is of significant detail to make any decision .... although I have re confirmed my
commitment to the X1D.

If Fuji is focus by wire .... then the whole MF real camera thing is a bit degraded ... for me enough of
a concern that I will pass on this camera until all the smoke and mirrors clear.

Hasselblad rates their camera lenses with leaf shutters at 2 million exposures ... never, never seen a FP shutter
that has that kind of rating ... 300 - 400K at the best. So a non issue. Nikon TTL ... am hoping that the Profoto D2s
will work with the X1D.

Honestly ... either camera is so far above the current FF offerings that it will be hard to go wrong.

Black X1D without the 4116 label would be my preference ... just hate schtick .... especially when it
is poorly done. .... IMHO.

All my 500 and 903/5s were chrome ... guess that I will continue in that direction.

Oh ... if the V1D becomes a reality then all the lenses with the X1D will not be redundant.

The Fuji looks great ... and I know they will deliver with respect to quality and color science.

Bob

PeterA

I'm waiting for the people who criticised Hasselblad/Fuji lens connection to tell me how bad Fuji is for Fuji.:ROTFL:

Finally the MF market is approaching 21st century user friendliness - CMOS and EVF and two companies offering choices -

BANG!

My local Phase One dealer is not happy <sad face>

All good news - for those who need 50 megapixels is it not?

I'm thinking Fuji's focal plane shutter will appeal to those who like the idea of adapting lenses to a system along with tilt swivel LCD - again for those that need it.

Deep breath required to now acquire all information realted to what Fuji is promising to deliver V what Hasselblad is promising to deliver.

It will probably get down to quality of EVF viewing experience for me - Hasselblad is 2.3M pixels Fuji is?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow. My only comment is it's something worth looking at. Just another option. Not getting into brand wars but a lot if bad data here I'm reading.

D&A

Patience, Patience. This is why I wrote what I did in an earlier post (below). There will be both fans and advantages and disadvantages to each system and as time and development of each system proceeds, views might also change.

Going by all I've seen and read of both systems and their current and future potential (as much as one can conjecture about future development based on specs), the Hassy and Fuji mirrorless mf systems will have somewhat divergent markets and of course the usual strengths and weaknesses...ie: tradeoffs, some of which will also be dependent on intended use and ones own preferences. As we know all too well, it's when some of us gets hands one or both these systems and puts them through their paces in actual use, providing useful "objective" feedback, will we begin to form valuable opinions. Think how often we either disparaged (maybe too strong a word in this context), or gushed over a new system, only to find operationally or otherwise, that our preliminary impressions just after such announcements are made, become quite different in time. I too consider myself guilty in this department. Neverless these recent develops in this market are certainly interesting, to say the least.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

So, based on the flange distance and the presence of a FPS, anyone have any idea what other lenses might be usable with this body? Going to be a long list I think!

Guy Mancuso

It takes a couple days to sift through all the data and see what makes sense. I would actually rather have a focal plane shutter. And BTW many leaf shutters do have a weak spot too so they are not perfect either. This really depends on what you like to do. If you like wide open stuff than focal is a asset. Anyway we need to see these in play . I like the Hassy as well but deciding which is better for YOU is all that counts, not what anyone else needs are.

kdphotography

Actually, the very best advice and to get the very best deal on either the Fuji or the Hassy---is to simply get the camera that Guy is going to get.

No literally. Wait until Guy buys the camera, gets bored and sells it two months later on GetDPI...

:ROTFL:

PeterA

Fuji has hit the market with a real game changer, lens roll out timetable is impressive as are the two lenses on either side of the list - the 19mm equivalent wide and the super fast 100 ....

focal plane shutter may appeal - but tbh I don't fancy the crop that 35mm Otus or Milvus lenses would deliver to this larger chip so I wouldn't have much need for it...using the camera as a chip to mount on a tech camera gizmo so I can then use Rodenstocks? I'm over the hassle factor...

Still no info on actual resolution of EFV - which for me is THE factor also I've been using C1 as much as Lightroom these days - I doubt C1 will 'open' itsel;f up to another serious MF competitor- time to change policy (please) C1?

WOW is all I can say - we have 2 choices now in MF/EVF mirrorless market.

and (off topic) looks like Olympus has delivered its own BANG in its new camera....

Photokina delivers ( again)

Guy Mancuso

Lol. Now this one is a big investment either way you chose. Gotta be smart on which direction you go. I know several things these two systems represent the new MF world that has not been tapped before. So the small, light look is really nice. This really helps existing users but brings fresh blood into MF, so right out of the gate Hassy and Fuji are hitting us with a new concept that seems to hit a lot of check marks for people. Spending 50 k is painful let's be honest I don't care how much disposal income you have. Taking a 50 k investment in the field is scary stuff. Getting in around 20k feels a heck of a lot better. Anyway you have to look at features that make sense and more important build a system with. That's sales, service, loaners, repairs and accessories to build the system. Is their flashes , triggers, remotes and all that in place. Stuff you need to look at. They look to have vey similar sensors which is a great CMOS sensor from Sony. Now it comes down to everyone else and more important it's not about the label. Gotta get over the label folks. It's on this thread too. I shoot a shitty Sony according to half the world. Ask me if I care, my clients have no clue as long as it's good.

Good luck everyone. I got a kid in college so that officially keeps me from playing in this field

Last edited: