The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fuji GFX

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Per Fuji site:

"The camera also supports tethered shooting, which has become an essential part of the professional photographers’ workflow, and will be compatible with various RAW conversion application software."

very interesting comment.

D&A

I want a silver one.
LOL...Already Hassy has a special edition Black color X1D available for preorder. Nowadays if a camera is released in silver, people Ooo and Aahh for a black color and visa versa.

I like the idea of Fuji using. FPS for adaptability with 3rd party lenses but this often isn't always the panecia that one hopes for.

Dave (D&A)

UHDR

leaf shutter ....focal plane shutter......

quoting ironman: "is it too much to ask for both?" :ROTFL:

ErikKaffehr

Hi Guy,

Yes an interesting camera. Fuji says that they have been involved with the sensor design. I would still assume that it is basically a Sony sensor, but perhaps with a different feature set.

The great question on my mind is weather there is an Electronic first shutter curtain. We have seen that normal FPS causes vibrations in the shutter speed range typically used on tripod.

FPS is not good for those who need overpower the sun with flash. Landscape shooters would need a nuke for that...

In a way, the GFX looks like a photographers camera. Designed for usability and not for bling.

Fuji has done a good job on APS-C and I am sure they will do a great job on MFD.

Will it be on my shopping list? I don't think so, spent to much on gear recently and the barns are empty and the A7rII with Canon and Contax lenses mostly fill my check boxes.
Anyway, MFD just got some new infusion of blood.

It is nice that the camera has user selectable aspect ratio. Obviously we can always crop in post but it would make composition easier if there was a mask in the viewfinder.

Personally, I would prefer to just have a deal to mask out part of the EVF, either vertically or horisontally.

After shooting Hasselblad I tend often to more quadratic composition. The Hassy viewfinder has shown four different crops, with the Phase One P45 mask. Full 66,
49x37, 37x37 and 37x37.

I am impressed by the new GFX but also some Kudos to the X1D, but sorry to say, I don't mind a camera hand made in Japan...

Best regards
Erik

Lol. Now this one is a big investment either way you chose. Gotta be smart on which direction you go. I know several things these two systems represent the new MF world that has not been tapped before. So the small, light look is really nice. This really helps existing users but brings fresh blood into MF, so right out of the gate Hassy and Fuji are hitting us with a new concept that seems to hit a lot of check marks for people. Spending 50 k is painful let's be honest I don't care how much disposal income you have. Taking a 50 k investment in the field is scary stuff. Getting in around 20k feels a heck of a lot better. Anyway you have to look at features that make sense and more important build a system with. That's sales, service, loaners, repairs and accessories to build the system. Is their flashes , triggers, remotes and all that in place. Stuff you need to look at. They look to have vey similar sensors which is a great CMOS sensor from Sony. Now it comes down to everyone else and more important it's not about the label. Gotta get over the label folks. It's on this thread too. I shoot a shitty Sony according to half the world. Ask me if I care, my clients have no clue as long as it's good.

Good luck everyone. I got a kid in college so that officially keeps me from playing in this field

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well there are ways to get around the sun with flash . Most units now are HSS and even some big units that are working very well. I'm using Godox AD360Ii units and they even have a 600 watt unit. So today there are some very viable units that where not around awhile back. So things have changed for the better. Reason I prefer FS as we get faster too end speeds for various uses. Still a matter of choice. Also we have no idea if FS is even remotely a issue on this. I don't believe any specs to a point until things are in production. We just have to see for all those that want leaf shutters there are equal amounts that want focal. I just see focal having more advantages overall.

V

Vivek

They can always add LS lenses to this system but the other way is impossible! ;)

The great question on my mind is weather there is an Electronic first shutter curtain. We have seen that normal FPS causes vibrations in the shutter speed range typically used on tripod.

FPS is not good for those who need overpower the sun with flash. Landscape shooters would need a nuke for that...
I might be wrong but I don't think IMX161 supports electronic first curtain. Shutter vibration as the first generation Sony A7R could be an issue.

iiiNelson

Best regards
Erik
As Guy says - it depends on the lights that you use. My strobes put out up to 1000w of lights each and can sync at any power/sync speed up to 1/8000 of a second.

I have a feeling that Fuji will address this in coming releases. No reason not to really. As much as I like the Pentax 645z and that whole system, Pentax doesn't invest enough in it to grow. Leaf shutter lenses have been asked for, for years, and there is nothing in sight. It's the only complaint people have about the system and it's mentioned in every review out there. If Fuji wants to be smart, they'll come out with 2 or 3 CS lenses and call it a day. If only to do nothing other than get 'internet experts' to shut up.

Leaf shutters can be nice to have but I often put things in perspective too. Needing that 1-2 extra stops of sync speed is generally important when you're beating the sun or freezing action with strobes, out doors, at wide aperture. How often are you REALLY encountering that situation? In a dim studio your flash duration and 1/125 should be just fine, yet people act like it isn't even possible to use strobes with a FPS. As for shutter shock, it's so ridiculous and typical of forum-expert-chattering to start worrying about shutter-shock before anyone even has their hands on the camera. Somehow Idk I just think the designers at Fujifilm may have thought of this! Have a little faith. Does the Phase One XF has shutter shock when using the FPS? Does the 645Z? I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As Guy says - it depends on the lights that you use. My strobes put out up to 1000w of lights each and can sync at any power/sync speed up to 1/8000 of a second.
Profoto and now Broncolor just announced HSS triggers for their strobes and Elinchron did a little while back. So again lots of big powerful units. Problem is they are Canon, Nikon and Sony not seeing Fuji. Now they could use Nikon shoes like Hassy is doing, but anyway you have to look into this . Don't forget tethered as well. Here I'm a C1 guy so it looks like Fuji might be supported. Hassy has Phocus but I think you can use Lightroom.

Paul2660

Fuji, fires Nikon flashes fine, but you lose TTL, not sure if that will matter or not.

I use the Nikon extension cable with my X T's and X Pro's and Nikon flash. No problems.

Paul C

iiiNelson

Profoto and now Broncolor just announced HSS triggers for their strobes and Elinchron did a little while back. So again lots of big powerful units. Problem is they are Canon, Nikon and Sony not seeing Fuji. Now they could use Nikon shoes like Hassy is doing, but anyway you have to look into this . Don't forget tethered as well. Here I'm a C1 guy so it looks like Fuji might be supported. Hassy has Phocus but I think you can use Lightroom.
True.

I think between the second generation Fuji bodies and the GFX that Fuji may begin to receive more love in the future with demand. I see that PocketWizard is now supporting Panasonic Micro 4/3 now and the company, Priolite, that I represent supports Pentax so there is or should be some hope for the future possibility in regards to Fuji support if their products sell. They seem to be emerging a bit out of the obscure shadows and I think it was a good decision to part away from X-Trans with the GFX.

Some new info from DPReview's hands on:

"Hands-on with Fujifilm GFX 50S at dpreview:

The first thing that strikes you when you pick up the GFX 50S for the first time is its weight – or rather it’s lack of weight. Considering the size of its sensor, the GFX 50S is impressively small and light.

The body is weather-sealed and build quality is superb

The viewfinder is lovely, and at least a match for the excellent finder in the X-T2 in terms of clarity and size.
impressively short flange-back distance

Despite the obvious similarities to the imaging chips used in the Pentax 645Z and other cameras, Fujifilm is insisting that this is a new, Fujifilm-developed sensor"

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0310515510/photokina-2016-hands-on-with-fujifilm-gfx-50s

I still think when Fuji say's it's a new Fujifilm developed sensor that it must be a specific order based on the existing Sony sensor. Still, we have seen big improvements to one sensor over a short term. Look at what the D810 did for that 36mp sensor. Also that's great to hear about the VF. Now it just remains to be seen how good the AF can be.

BlinkingEye

I got a kid in college so that officially keeps me from playing in this field
I feel your pain. Feel good about only one in college. Had two in undergrad. Got one graduated then announced she is going to grad school after being out for one semester. It will be along time before I can play, too.