Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fuji GFX

Post Thanks / Like

The Fuji GFX

LEAKED :: First Image of Fujifilm GFX Medium Format Camera!!! - Fuji Rumors

Official announcement at 11am EST.

To me, looks like a Contax and I am praying they were wise enough to include an F2 normal. Will anyone be canceling their X1D pre-orders?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Fuji GFX

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    LEAKED :: First Image of Fujifilm GFX Medium Format Camera!!! - Fuji Rumors

Official announcement at 11am EST.

To me, looks like a Contax and I am praying they were wise enough to include an F2 normal. Will anyone be canceling their X1D pre-orders?

I will be looking closely at this and depending on timing and lens lineup, yes I could see myself cancelling my X1D pre-order. I trust Fuji to build the electronics component of such a camera in a solid way and if this is a larger version of an XT-2, I'd be all over it. Also Fuji's history of "Kaizen" with their cameras makes me want to do business with them.
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I hope its mirrorless..... from the image it looks to be more like a standard Mirror type DSLR. Time will tell.....

Victor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I hope its mirrorless..... from the image it looks to be more like a standard Mirror type DSLR. Time will tell.....

Victor
    Looks like the mirror is exposed and that it will be mirrorless... it says so right on the picture. I believe that the thinking was to go in the spirit of a Fuji X-T XXL.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Victor
    It wil be mirrorless. As you can see from the image, above "GFX" it says "medium-format mirrorless camera"

Post Thanks / Like

That's the sensor. Mirrors aren't funky colors... I hope it has the same lens mount as the Hassy, so I can buy the Hassy camera and buy the Fuji zoom lens and then just use my H lenses as well.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This could change a few things in the MF world. Looking forward to announcement
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be pretty curious about the AF. AFAIK Sony has not put PDAF sensors on their 44x33 50mp CMOS. Leica has apparently figured out how to have quick and good contrast AF (or rather Panasonic did), it will be interesting to see how this lines up. Hopefully it's not as big of a fail as the original XPro1. Of course, I don't expect MFD to be as good as smaller format AF, but it has to be acceptable. OTOH, Phase and Hasselblad have gotten away with murder all these years with single point AF so why not Fuji...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Built in shutter or not is the big question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Built in shutter or not is the big question.
    Probably not, since you can see the sensor with the lens off. I'm sure we will find out very shortly.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Probably not, since you can see the sensor with the lens off. I'm sure we will find out very shortly.
    Almost all mirrorless cams with a built in focal plane shutter look like that with a naked sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this post should be moved, it's not true medium format.

Loves and hugz - Phase One
    Chris Giles Photography
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

fuji has a history of building wonderful medium format cameras, the gx 680 was a class of its own and far better than anything mamiya and hasselblad offerd. i think that the new fuji can become a real game changer, in the real world and not in press releases. when hasselblad announced the x1d i was very exited but it very much seems that hasselblad handicapped this camera on propose so it does not become to attractive and they can still keep selling the h6 bodys. fuji is in total other position....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This could change a few things in the MF world...
    If you need a DSLR and/or 100MP and/or movements then I can see a DB remaining attractive.

If not, this and the X1D are the future - imagine the tech they could incorporate - e.g. pixel shift, IS etc. These are going to pull an awful lot of folks away from the traditional route into MF (*sound of used prices for CCD backs plummeting*).

Just waiting now for the P1 press release that says anything less than 100MP isn't MF ...

Post Thanks / Like

..seems the fuji has a shutter the metabone guys will have a lot of work in the coming month....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    ..seems the fuji has a shutter the metabone guys will have a lot of work in the coming month....
    1/4000s top shutter speed.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.fujirumors.com/live-fujif...atest-updates/

Way more info here now.

Shots fired, Hasselbald. I personally would take the 1/4000ths of a sec FP shutter over a leaf shutter. Plus Fuji's lens line up seems better thought out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tilt lcd plus an FP shutter pretty much seals the deal.

Awesome!
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

2016 has been a remarkable year for medium format cameras and photography.
    The doom and gloom scenarios being painted last year now seem quite silly.
    So far in 2016 the following products have been delivered, announced/unveiled or rumored:

- Phase One IQ3 100MP
    - Hasselblad H6D 100c
    - Hasselblad H6D 50c
    - Hasselblad X1D mirrorless 50 MP
    - Hasselblad V1D 75 MP square format
    - Fuji GFX mirrorless XT big brother

This is fantastic.
    IQ3 100 H • Cambo 1200 • Rodenstock 32HR 90HRSW • 350 Superachromat
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.fujirumors.com/live-fujif...atest-updates/

Way more info here now.

Shots fired, Hasselbald. I personally would take the 1/4000ths of a sec FP shutter over a leaf shutter. Plus Fuji's lens line up seems better thought out.
    seems this will be my last year with hasselblad.... my interest in the x1d dropped to zero after i did read the fuji has a joystick for af point selection

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any news on the sensor ? I heard they claim it's a new one. I thought it would be the good old 50Mp sensor.

Any news on that ?

Post Thanks / Like

More here: http://fujiaddict.com/2016/09/19/fuj...ced/#more-2371

Really smart planning a 110/2. Wish that 63 was f2.

Performance will be the big question though. The AF might very well suck. High hopes though!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Any news on the sensor ? I heard they claim it's a new one. I thought it would be the good old 50Mp sensor.

Any news on that ?
    New as in a new fab based on the existing one Sony makes I'm sure. No hard details though. I can't imagine they're getting anything other than a Sony.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    1/4000s top shutter speed.
    I would prefer 1/8000 top mechanical speed and am curious what the X-sync speed is but I gotta agree that this looks like a great camera. I'm interested in it as is.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

" In addition, an optional adapter makes it possible to fit the EVF in any angle" this is not a boutique camera this is for real working photographers love it !!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/new...?newsID=881070

Camera registry is 26.7mm.

Canon TS lenses are eminently adaptable!
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Pricing may surprise a few. First pass seems to be around 10K for camera viewfinder and 63mm lens. Still less that competition but more than I expected.

Paul C
    If I had to guess, $8k for a basic kit. They'll want to compete with Pentax on SOME level, and that's exactly what the Z costs with the 55 IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very exciting. Of course, its all about the quality of lenses for me. Fuji surely knows how to make em..... The camera itself will more than likely be succeeded within three years. Still....... very exciting!!

Victor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Pricing may surprise a few. First pass seems to be around 10K for camera viewfinder and 63mm lens. Still less that competition but more than I expected.

Paul C
    Not bad at that price...... less than that would be extremely enticing.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/19/12...photokina-2016

The first GFX camera will be called the GFX 50S, weighing in at 800 grams. It will have a detachable viewfinder that latches on via the hot shoe at the top. There’s also an alternative viewfinder option, intended primarily for video, that gives you a rotating viewfinder. The GFX 50S will also have an articulating display, which tilts vertically.
    Fujifilm’s GFX camera system has a 51.4-megapixel resolution (8256 x 6192). A new camera system demands a new lens system, and Fujifilm today also introduces a G-mount lens setup. It starts with the GF63mm prime, an f/2.8 lens to be released in early 2017, alongside the launch of the 50S body and two more lenses: the GF32-64mm F4 and the GF120mm F4 Macro. A couple more prime lenses will follow in the middle of the year, the GF45mm F2.8 and GF23mm F4, though neither of them is quite the sort of pancake lens you can get with smaller-format cameras. Such is the tradeoff of going to medium format, of course.

Pricing hasn’t been finalized yet, but Fujifilm says it has set a price target "way under $10,000" for GFX 50S plus the GF63mm lens and the default viewfinder in the box. The GFX 50S will be available to buy early next year.
    Detachable viewfinder? Interesting.

Sounds like the same Sony sensor we've come to know and love. For now, I'm sticking with the X1D.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I was holding off ordering the X1D until I saw what Fuji had to offer and now I think I'm going for the Hassy.

Reasons:

This is to be a lightweight travel MF capsule system for me. Most important is the 24-70mm range which, with the new lens Hassy announced today, is now covered. What I really value is the svelte form factor and low weight and you'll notice that Fuji haven't announced a weight for the GFX - and I'm guessing I know why: this is more a competitor to the full fat MF systems we have already but without the swappability.

Also, the FPS, whilst allowing the higher shutter speeds, will also introduce the risk of shutter shock. And add to the weight. So for me the trade off of lower maximum shutter speeds for smaller form factor and weight and less risk of shake is worth it.

I also don't want to build a big system around this for my use-case. And, as I get older, I want my cameras to have some 'thingness' - which the Hassy looks like it has in spades and which the Fuji looks like it lacks. The Sony A7RII is most of the camera I ever need but it feels like a computer - whereas the Leica Q feels like a camera.

Despite that I'll be trading in my brand new replacement, not even un-boxed or used Q* agains the Hassy because even though I love it, it is slightly too limiting.

We all have different logics in choosing gear and mine aren't in this case driven by commercial logic but by desire: desire for smooth tonality, high DR, 'thingness' and light weight. Desire for something different. Desire for something bloody expensive.

* a long story: it's a passport replacement but the passport expired just as the unit was replaced.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very exciting. Of course, its all about the quality of lenses for me.
    ..the lenses they make for hasselblad are great and i have no doubt that the gfx lenses are equal or probably better than the h lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I was holding off ordering the X1D until I saw what Fuji had to offer and now I think I'm going for the Hassy.

your chance to get a x1d soon raised alot in the last hour....
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...i have no doubt that the gfx lenses are equal or probably better than the h lenses
    No doubt? Wow!! Clairvoyance?

As they say in the investment biz, “past performance is not an indicator of future results." Let's wait and see.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. Sold my H4D-40 last week and was pretty set on ordering an X1D, but may rethink that now. I'm liking the GFX lens roadmap...the 23mm and 110 f/2 in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tim,

I don't think that we have seen the full specs of the X1D or the GFX. A focal plane shutter combined with Electronic First Shutter Curtain is essentially vibration free and I don't think Fuji would make a camera without that feature.

Personally I will not buy either the Fuji or the blad, I have spent to much on gear, so the barns are empty.

I also ask myself, what issues will a camera solve. In that regard I don't see a lot of benefits from small medium formats.

One important thing is taht X1D has leaf shutter while the Fuji has focal plane. Leaf shutter is great for electronic flash outdoors, while FP gives a lot of flexibility with lenses and soloution.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post

Reasons:

This is to be a lightweight travel MF capsule system for me. Most important is the 24-70mm range which, with the new lens Hassy announced today, is now covered. What I really value is the svelte form factor and low weight and you'll notice that Fuji haven't announced a weight for the GFX - and I'm guessing I know why: this is more a competitor to the full fat MF systems we have already but without the swappability.

Also, the FPS, whilst allowing the higher shutter speeds, will also introduce the risk of shutter shock. And add to the weight. So for me the trade off of lower maximum shutter speeds for smaller form factor and weight and less risk of shake is worth it.

I also don't want to build a big system around this for my use-case. And, as I get older, I want my cameras to have some 'thingness' - which the Hassy looks like it has in spades and which the Fuji looks like it lacks. The Sony A7RII is most of the camera I ever need but it feels like a computer - whereas the Leica Q feels like a camera.

Despite that I'll be trading in my brand new replacement, not even un-boxed or used Q* agains the Hassy because even though I love it, it is slightly too limiting.

We all have different logics in choosing gear and mine aren't in this case driven by commercial logic but by desire: desire for smooth tonality, high DR, 'thingness' and light weight. Desire for something different. Desire for something bloody expensive.

* a long story: it's a passport replacement but the passport expired just as the unit was replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

As they say in the investment biz, “past performance is not an indicator of future results." Let's wait and see.

Joe

does this also count for hasselblad or is this fuji only ? have you seen a test of the non fuji hasselblad lenses ?

Post Thanks / Like

Joe
    I mean do you really think that Fuji would just somehow put out a bunch of dog lenses for their first MFD? Can you name an on-brand camera maker today that is releasing even mediocre glass? The lenses are going to be as good as anything out there. The days of one lens maker being far and above the rest are long gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Hasselblad publishes measured MTF-data on all their lenses. MTF doesn't tell the whole story but tells a lot.

Best regards
    Erik

does this also count for hasselblad or is this fuji only ? have you seen a test of the non fuji hasselblad lenses ?

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji has an excellent reputation as a lens maker. Both small formats and large formats.

They make all the lenses for the Hasselblad H-system.

Best regards
    Erik

I mean do you really think that Fuji would just somehow put out a bunch of dog lenses for their first MFD? Can you name an on-brand camera maker today that is releasing even mediocre glass? The lenses are going to be as good as anything out there. The days of one lens maker being far and above the rest are long gone.

Post Thanks / Like

These days the camera manufacturer who gets my money will be the one who gives me ease of use features.

Like custom framing overlays in the viewfinder and a joystick to control the AF points.

Slowly camera manufacturers are waking up to this fact. Image quality is pretty much reaching the point where things can't really get much better so they need to find ways to make my life as a photographer easier. I'd love my 5D4 to have a VF overlay that allows me to shoot in 8x10 for portraits and 6:4.5 or 6:7 for landscapes.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    These days the camera manufacturer who gets my money will be the one who gives me ease of use features.

Like custom framing overlays in the viewfinder and a joystick to control the AF points.

Slowly camera manufacturers are waking up to this fact. Image quality is pretty much reaching the point where things can't really get much better so they need to find ways to make my life as a photographer easier. I'd love my 5D4 to have a VF overlay that allows me to shoot in 8x10 for portraits and 6:4.5 or 6:7 for landscapes.
    The fact that multi-aspect ratios are not available in DSLRs and even in cameras like the A7 is absurd. Sony gives you 3:2 or 16:9. Who the hell is shooting stills in 16:9? 4:3 crop would soooo useful to me but no camera maker wants to implement this ultra simple feature. The D810 will do 8x10 ratio in VF but I prefer to shoot 4:3 at my weddings generally. That comes from shooting so much 645 I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post

i see it absolute the same way. a cool and stylish look is not enough, hasselblad will have to learn this very soon. the fuji on the opposite gets a few things really right.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe
    I have no doubts that Fuji can make very, very nice lenses. Leica, Schneider, Rody all fall into the very nice lens category but they won't ALL be very nice lenses. If they were they would be priced way beyond their current market prices. Everyone's needs are different but I simply won't tolerate any lens that isn't at least aligned properly - skewed is a common term. All manufacturer's suffer with quality controls that makes it mandatory to purchase lenses from someone who will exchange or take them back no questions asked. I wish it wasn't this way but it is......

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps looks can be deceiving. I just want a great tool that gets out of my way. Now I wish I were at Photokina this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubts that Fuji can make very, very nice lenses. Leica, Schneider, Rody all fall into the very nice lens category but they won't ALL be very nice lenses. If they were they would be priced way beyond their current market prices. Everyone's needs are different but I simply won't tolerate any lens that isn't at least aligned properly - skewed is a common term. All manufacturer's suffer with quality controls that makes it mandatory to purchase lenses from someone who will exchange or take them back no questions asked. I wish it wasn't this way but it is......

Victor
    After a certain point they are priced as to what their market will tolerate. Fuji lenses won't be cheaper than Phase lenses because they're not as good, they'll be cheaper because Fuji wants to sell many-many times more cameras than Phase does. As for having a centered lens, why would this be any harder to obtain from Fujifilm than anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak to GFX glass, but as far as QC on the Fuji XF glass, it's been great for me. I have yet to find a lens that needed anything adjusted. Fuji's XF glass has a great reputation also. I have to assume that Fuji will continue making the lenses for the GFX, and it's a bet I would take, (the lenses will be excellent). Plus they have a lot of heritage from making lenses for Hasselblad.

And has been mentioned already, Fuji's advancement via Firmware, giving new features to older cameras, is by far the best from any company I have seen. Safe to assume again this will move forward on the GFX also.

Only issue is the sensor and Sony, and hopefully Fuji and Sony have a good deal worked out for supply.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hasselblad publishes measured MTF-data on all their lenses. MTF doesn't tell the whole story but tells a lot.
    You'll note that I didn't say Fuji was better or worse than Hasselblad. Nor did I refer to MTF charts. The main point of my post was to say, "Let's wait and see." From real world testing by real photographers who aren't compensated by the camera/lens maker. I don't have any reason to believe that either Fuji or Hasselblad will release "mediocre glass". But we all know that some renowned manufacturers have done so. GetDPI, FM and LuLa are replete with posts by real photographers who have gone through several copies of a particular lens to get a good centered copy. Or one that didn't have noisy AF. Or one that didn't have a poor mechanical design requiring frequent trips to a repair center.

I'm personally excited that Fuji has entered the medium-format arena. Competition has always seemed to spur innovation. Even Edison and Tesla were keen innovators and competitors. And Fuji's entry will likely ratchet the entry price down, as they have joined Pentax and Hasselblad with medium-format offerings that are more affordable than some alternatives.

My digital medium-format journey started with the H4D-40 and H4D-50, then the DF/IQ180, then the Leica S Type 006, then the Pentax 645Z, and the Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX are finally ticking all the boxes (for me). Either would be outstanding.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

After a certain point they are priced as to what their market will tolerate. Fuji lenses won't be cheaper than Phase lenses because they're not as good, they'll be cheaper because Fuji wants to sell many-many times more cameras than Phase does. As for having a centered lens, why would this be any harder to obtain from Fujifilm than anyone else?
    I wasn't singling out Fuji...... ALL lens manufacturer's have QC issues and a decentered lens is one of the common issues. I have not owned a lens by any manufacturer yet where one or more of the lenses I purchased had QC issues regarding decentering. Like I said, everyone's needs are different. I'm a stickler for this type of issue and not trying to be anyone else's benchmark.

Victor