The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ and P+ series back on a non-rotating plate

robdeszan

Hi All,
First post here, I am considering adding a P+ series digital back to my Mamiya RZ67proII (nond) system. I've been offered a mint condition P65+ in V mount which means that it won't rotate on the camera (just like regular film backs) but needs to be removed and attached again in vertical/horizontal. I shoot portrait mostly and do switch positions frequently. Do you think it will be a big deal? Has anyone been using this combo. Just a bit worried about potential dust / dirt / damage while switching the positions rather than switching to R on the body and rotating the back without removal.

Best,
Pat

Can't quite comment on convenience as I am not aware of the nature of your shooting.
I am using IQ160 on RZ67ProIID with rotating plate and its gaps have proven to be an easy access path for lint and microdust.
Rather annoying, but nothing a sensor cleaning kit won't take care of.

And if you are happy with maximum 4 seconds exposure time with Dalsa back on RZ - I don't see any problems.

robdeszan

Thanks for your input. Dust does not scare me one bit, the thought of removing the back for horizontal / vertical placement does; easy to scratch or damage during a shoot (fashion/portrait). The ability to rotate the back on the body with a simple switch is probably one of RZ's favourite features for me as well. I've decided against the idea of V mount P65+ and I've found a Mamiya mount instead.

All I need to find now is a HX701 0r 705 adapter.

Thanks again!

Can't quite comment on convenience as I am not aware of the nature of your shooting.
I am using IQ160 on RZ67ProIID with rotating plate and its gaps have proven to be an easy access path for lint and microdust.
Rather annoying, but nothing a sensor cleaning kit won't take care of.

And if you are happy with maximum 4 seconds exposure time with Dalsa back on RZ - I don't see any problems.

Thanks for your input. Dust does not scare me one bit, the thought of removing the back for horizontal / vertical placement does; easy to scratch or damage during a shoot (fashion/portrait). The ability to rotate the back on the body with a simple switch is probably one of RZ's favourite features for me as well. I've decided against the idea of V mount P65+ and I've found a Mamiya mount instead.

All I need to find now is a HX701 0r 705 adapter.

Thanks again!
No problem.
Indeed, it's better to eliminate the risk.

HX701 should be relatively easy to find, I believe both Digital Transitions, and Captureintegration stock them.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

robdeszan

Quick update,
having now used a Mamiya mount back that rotates on a camera, I am really glad I did not go for the V mount. You could damage it veeeery easily.

Pat