Site Sponsors

Thread: Mamiya RZ and P+ series back on a non-rotating plate

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya RZ and P+ series back on a non-rotating plate

Hi All,
    First post here, I am considering adding a P+ series digital back to my Mamiya RZ67proII (nond) system. I've been offered a mint condition P65+ in V mount which means that it won't rotate on the camera (just like regular film backs) but needs to be removed and attached again in vertical/horizontal. I shoot portrait mostly and do switch positions frequently. Do you think it will be a big deal? Has anyone been using this combo. Just a bit worried about potential dust / dirt / damage while switching the positions rather than switching to R on the body and rotating the back without removal.

Best,
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mamiya RZ and P+ series back on a non-rotating plate

Can't quite comment on convenience as I am not aware of the nature of your shooting.
    I am using IQ160 on RZ67ProIID with rotating plate and its gaps have proven to be an easy access path for lint and microdust.
    Rather annoying, but nothing a sensor cleaning kit won't take care of.

And if you are happy with maximum 4 seconds exposure time with Dalsa back on RZ - I don't see any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input. Dust does not scare me one bit, the thought of removing the back for horizontal / vertical placement does; easy to scratch or damage during a shoot (fashion/portrait). The ability to rotate the back on the body with a simple switch is probably one of RZ's favourite features for me as well. I've decided against the idea of V mount P65+ and I've found a Mamiya mount instead.

All I need to find now is a HX701 0r 705 adapter.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Krosavcheg View Post
    Can't quite comment on convenience as I am not aware of the nature of your shooting.
    I am using IQ160 on RZ67ProIID with rotating plate and its gaps have proven to be an easy access path for lint and microdust.
    Rather annoying, but nothing a sensor cleaning kit won't take care of.

And if you are happy with maximum 4 seconds exposure time with Dalsa back on RZ - I don't see any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robdeszan View Post
    Thanks for your input. Dust does not scare me one bit, the thought of removing the back for horizontal / vertical placement does; easy to scratch or damage during a shoot (fashion/portrait). The ability to rotate the back on the body with a simple switch is probably one of RZ's favourite features for me as well. I've decided against the idea of V mount P65+ and I've found a Mamiya mount instead.

All I need to find now is a HX701 0r 705 adapter.

Thanks again!
    No problem.
    Indeed, it's better to eliminate the risk.

HX701 should be relatively easy to find, I believe both Digital Transitions, and Captureintegration stock them.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update,
    having now used a Mamiya mount back that rotates on a camera, I am really glad I did not go for the V mount. You could damage it veeeery easily.

Pat