The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

80 LS & DM33 & DF... strange behavior !

cly

A guess: I don't have the D1 data at hand but the last three images look quite close so it might have to do with flash duration: in this case the 'complete energy' would be delivered in a time interval which is longer than your short exposure times.

As the t-values are not the same for different power settings, I'd check what it looks like if you try the same with a different power setting.

Chris

M

mjr

Hi

It's all about flash duration, above 1/320 the shutter speed is faster than the flash duration giving you a darker exposure as it's opening and closing before the flash has delivered it's power. The shutter speeds below that are just allowing the flash to fire fully and giving you the right exposure, as there is no ambient light, you could just go slower and slower and not have a change in exposure because the flash is controlling it. The LS lens really comes in to its own when you have ambient light, for example allowing you to shoot wide open and control the ambient with a fast shutter speed, something you can't do if you are restricted to much lower flash sync without a LS lens.

Hope that makes sense.

Mat

archivue

strange... D1 1000 Flash Duration t 0.5: 1/1800 (max power), 1/700s (min power).

This was just a test to check if the lens was working properly... my intend was to use it in daylight outside... but if i can't use it with a fast speed, there's no point to buy it over my regular phase one af 80... a really good lens without LS.

DrakeJ

strange... D1 1000 Flash Duration t 0.5: 1/1800 (max power), 1/700s (min power).

This was just a test to check if the lens was working properly... my intend was to use it in daylight outside... but if i can't use it with a fast speed, there's no point to buy it over my regular phase one af 80... a really good lens without LS.
Seems the D1 has shorter flash durations the higher you go in power. 1/1800s t0.5 means roughly 1/600s t0.1. Go above that shutter speed (t0.1) and you probably loose output. 1/700s t0.5 is really bad and translates to roughly 1/230s t0.1.

Loan a Profoto B1 instead and redo your tests, and remember to set your air remote to fast mode. Otherwise you won't be able to sync properly with faster shutter speeds.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What trigger were you using? Most do not support 1/1600th. Pocketwizard, for instance, does not. Profoto Air and hard wire do.

kdphotography

You still may need to enable the "fast" mode on the Profoto Air transmitter. No need on the XF body.

Pocket Wizard Plus III can also be used, but you must enable "fast" mode.

ken

archivue

thanks ken, i wasn't aware of it !

i've found it !

fast mode must be used

always a good idea to read the user guide !

Additional functions
fast mode
The Profoto Air Sync and Profoto Air Remote devices deliver sync signals with a very short delay.
In Fast mode, the delay is even shorter.
Fast mode is only recommended when working with very short camera shutter times, as the battery consumption is considerably higher.
In Fast mode, the remote control functionality (available in Profoto Air Remote) is disabled and inoperative.

Fast mode is used when an extra short sync signal delay is required.
1. To enter Fast mode, press and hold down the Mode Button [4] for 7 seconds,until there is a beep and the Transmit Indicator [3] starts to blink fast.
2. To exit Fast mode, press the Mode Button [4] once.

Silent mode
This section only applies to the Profoto Air Remote device.
1. Ensure that the Profoto Air device is turned off.
2. To enter Silent mode,press and hold down the Head Button 0 [10] and the On Button [5] simultaneously until the Transmit Indicator [3] is illuminated.
3. Silent mode is automatically disabled when the device is turned off.

Disable Auto Power off
2. To disable the Auto Powe rOff function, press and hold down the Mod eButton [4] and the On Button [5] simultaneously. When deactivating the auto power off function, the device confirms this with a short beep immediately.
3. The Auto Power Off function is automatically enabled when the device is turned off.

factory settings
2. To reset the Profoto Air device to factory settings, press and hold down the Test Button [6] and the On Button [5] simultaneously until there are three beeps.

kdphotography

Also a good idea to keep an extra set of batteries on hand. "Fast" mode will use up the batteries faster. Yet another reason to get that XF body with built in Profoto Air that you always wanted.... :D

archivue

Also a good idea to keep an extra set of batteries on hand. "Fast" mode will use up the batteries faster. Yet another reason to get that XF body with built in Profoto Air that you always wanted.... :D
not this month, my cash goes to Epson this time... the new 9000 is on the way.
then i will be able to print notes ;-)

kdphotography

You'll like the new P9000. Better matte black ink; improved yellow. Overall nice tweaks and a better machine than the 9900.

ken

archivue

You'll like the new P9000. Better matte black ink; improved yellow. Overall nice tweaks and a better machine than the 9900.

ken
my goal is to print several images that are almost all black... i was supposed to buy the P8000, but i think that in my case the extra ink will be helpful !