The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D, a nice interview but also no AF with HC-lenses...

BANKER1

The final arbiter in the case of the Hasselblad X1D and the Fujifilm GFX 50S will not be Eric or me or anyone else on this forum. It will be the public acceptance of the cameras. We will see how many cameras are sold by each manufacturer, not only pre-orders already received by Hasselblad, but the long term acceptance of both cameras we will see in a year or two. If Fuji sells substantially more cameras than Hasselblad by then, I will be happy to say I was wrong, even though in my opinion, the GFX will still be a clunky frankencamera. But, if it is a better tool, I can live with that.

What I would really rather see here is an acceptance of each other's point of view and appreciation of it. My father-in-law thought that if you didn't like what he liked, there was something wrong with you. I once told him, "They make ice cream in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry; heck, Baskin Robbins makes 31 different flavors." I kind of saw a light bulb go on over his head. Thankfully he was smart enough to understand what I was trying to communicate to him. How nice would it be to have 31 MFD mirrorless cameras from which to choose. If you like the Fuji, so be it. Just because I like the Hasselblad doesn't make me any less of a person or photographer than anyone else. And, after time passes, I may even change my mind. I left Lula long ago because of the poisonous rhetoric found there. If I have to leave this forum, I guess I will have to simply search the internet for information and education.

Greg

hcubell

The final arbiter in the case of the Hasselblad X1D and the Fujifilm GFX 50S will not be Eric or me or anyone else on this forum. It will be the public acceptance of the cameras. We will see how many cameras are sold by each manufacturer, not only pre-orders already received by Hasselblad, but the long term acceptance of both cameras we will see in a year or two. If Fuji sells substantially more cameras than Hasselblad by then, I will be happy to say I was wrong, even though in my opinion, the GFX will still be a clunky frankencamera. But, if it is a better tool, I can live with that.

What I would really rather see here is an acceptance of each other's point of view and appreciation of it. My father-in-law thought that if you didn't like what he liked, there was something wrong with you. I once told him, "They make ice cream in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry; heck, Baskin Robbins makes 31 different flavors." I kind of saw a light bulb go on over his head. Thankfully he was smart enough to understand what I was trying to communicate to him. How nice would it be to have 31 MFD mirrorless cameras from which to choose. If you like the Fuji, so be it. Just because I like the Hasselblad doesn't make me any less of a person or photographer than anyone else. And, after time passes, I may even change my mind. I left Lula long ago because of the poisonous rhetoric found there. If I have to leave this forum, I guess I will have to simply search the internet for information and education.

Greg
This is so true. The X1D and the Fuji are potentially both excellent choices for many photographers. If one or the other is not for you, fine, but the incessant diatribe from some here identifying what THEY feel are flaws in the X1D is just not constructive. They should respect that others have different needs/priorities from theirs and move on. Not for one minute would I question someone else's opinion about what's best for them. My opinion is just mine. I have no need to engage in a polemic with others about their opinions. It's called respect.I am secure in evaluating my needs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Greg
Ill take that a step further. I hope they both sell a truck load. Thats good for all of us. I have zero brand loyalty but i got a serious healthy dose of whats good for the industry and us. We WANT product that works for us. I see positives in both systems and i see some gaps as well. We just need more data that describes whats under the menu hoods and what feature sets we will get. Even though Hassy is starting to ship i still feel like I don't know whats under the hood. Heck i would love to see a final version of the menus for instance.

Godfrey

IMO, the fact that AF does not work on HC lenses yet is not really relevant. Contrast AF is extraordinary slow on lenses designed for phase AF, so it would not be very useful anyway.
but having no focus aids either is a failure.
That's a matter of opinion.

In the half hour or so I had to play with the original X1D demo units at a local demonstration, I didn't know how to engage magnification or whether peaking was available. I flipped the camera to manual focus with both 45 and 90 mm lenses. I had no trouble whatsoever achieving absolutely perfect critical focus with either lens.

I would be delighted to own and use the X1D even in the state it was in back then if it did not have auto focus at all. :toocool:

G

hcubell

I have 7 HC lenses. Am I distressed that I would not be able at the outset to autofocus those lenses with the HC adapter? Not at all. The only lenses that will really be practical to mount on the HC adapter are the 28, 35, 50, 80 and 100. The three initial XCD lenses, the 30, the 45 and the 90, will pretty much cover the range of those HC lenses. I would plan to buy them. The longer HC lenses, the 120, the 150, and the 210, are too heavy for me to feel comfortable attaching them to the X1D with the adapter, as the adapter will not have a tripod mount. Bottom line, the HC adapter has little utility in my view if you buy the set of the first three XCD lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Well I would want the widest H there is and maybe like a 150 or 200 to hold me over until those natives came out. 3 lenses to start for me would be a little tough so that option could be very useful to a good set of folks. Now that's someone that started with a A7r and maybe 2 native lenses at the time so adapting was critical. This side of it don't bother me that much though. The Nikon protocol solves the flash issue which I do not have that solved on the Fuji so big plus for Hassy here for me. Phocus I used and actually liked it, Lightroom I won't go their and I don't see any options for Fuji except LR. This is really tough for me. Honestly and I'm not complaining about the cost as I think it's reasonably fair , it's my budget that is painful. Not Hassy fault but if they put in a 3 lens kit financing package together that may help a few folks dive in quicker.:grin:

So instead of talking down brands we have no interest in ourselves let's speculate which 5 lenses Hasselblad will release for the X1D in 2017.

I am hoping for:
- Macro (90+mm)
- TS (24-mm) (I blame this forum for that)
- a zoom preferably wide (20-70mm)

That's FF mm btw.

Group hug?

hcubell

Well I would want the widest H there is and maybe like a 150 or 200 to hold me over until those natives came out. 3 lenses to start for me would be a little tough so that option could be very useful to a good set of folks. Now that's someone that started with a A7r and maybe 2 native lenses at the time so adapting was critical. This side of it don't bother me that much though. The Nikon protocol solves the flash issue which I do not have that solved on the Fuji so big plus for Hassy here for me. Phocus I used and actually liked it, Lightroom I won't go their and I don't see any options for Fuji except LR. This is really tough for me. Honestly and I'm not complaining about the cost as I think it's reasonably fair , it's my budget that is painful. Not Hassy fault but if they put in a 3 lens kit financing package together that may help a few folks dive in quicker.:grin:
I agree about the 150 and 210 HC lenses, Guy. My 150 and 210 HC lenses are excellent. However, Hasselblad has apparently not included a tripod collar for the HC Adapter, and I would not want to hang the 120, the 150 or the 210 off the X1D. Handheld where you could support the lens with one hand would be ok, but not on a tripod. Perhaps there is an aftermarket tripod collar that could be adapted to the adapter. (I believe some of the lens adapters for the Sony A7 series have tripod collars included, so why Hasselblad did not do that is inexplicable.)

If you are starting fresh then the new x lenses would be great. But I have a set of H lenses and for me(my use) the whole point of this camera was a smaller, more mobile medium format body with a cmos sensor to compliment my larger setup and allow me to use the same lenses. And also as a backup. While not having AF via the adapter doesn't make it a deal breaker, it just makes me rethink things, especially with the Fuji camera. I would still lean towards the Hassy, but will definitely need to test it in person with the adapter. Having AF is just a major convenience and that quote doesn't say that it is coming for sure, it says that it may be possible. With all the delays in the release of the camera and all of the various AF adapters out there for Leica/Hassy, third party m4/3-canon & Nikon, etc that all AF, you would think that there would be someway to get it done, even if it meant hiring another engineer from outside the company to do it. Because for existing H users you're talking about $9,000 plus several hundred for the adapter vs. $9,000 plus approx $4,000 per lens. That adds up quickly. Hopefully for H users and them, they can figure out a way to get it done. AND BRING OUT THAT V CONCEPT!!! #droolemoji

hcubell

If you are starting fresh then the new x lenses would be great. But I have a set of H lenses and for me(my use) the whole point of this camera was a smaller, more mobile medium format body with a cmos sensor to compliment my larger setup and allow me to use the same lenses. And also as a backup. While not having AF via the adapter doesn't make it a deal breaker, it just makes me rethink things, especially with the Fuji camera. I would still lean towards the Hassy, but will definitely need to test it in person with the adapter. Having AF is just a major convenience and that quote doesn't say that it is coming for sure, it says that it may be possible. With all the delays in the release of the camera and all of the various AF adapters out there for Leica/Hassy, third party m4/3-canon & Nikon, etc that all AF, you would think that there would be someway to get it done, even if it meant hiring another engineer from outside the company to do it. Because for existing H users you're talking about $9,000 plus several hundred for the adapter vs. $9,000 plus approx $4,000 per lens. That adds up quickly. Hopefully for H users and them, they can figure out a way to get it done. AND BRING OUT THAT V CONCEPT!!! #droolemoji
I completely understand. The level of financial commitment for the X1D is very different depending upon whether you have HC lenses AND you can use them the way you expected (i.e., with AF).
BTW, only the 30mm lens is $4k. The 45mm is $2300 and the 90mm is $2700.

Guy Mancuso

Not counting the 30. What is the cost of body and the first 3 available lenses. I got lost on the costs

Thanks for the pricing info on the other lenses guys. Glad to know they are less expensive. I would still prefer to buy a used H 24 or 28 to use on both, to go with my 100 and 35-90. I will say that for me, being able to magnify when focusing is the most important benefit that the EVF lets you use. Have the live exposure is obviously very helpful as well.