The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using tech cameras for portraiture

BigBoy

Thanks for letting me join and hope to learn from you guys and one day be able to teach too. I been looking into tech cameras and medium format but just never seen posts here or other forums about doing portraits with them. I would like to know do you use tech cameras for portraits and what lens? I only see wide angle large format lens posted here not long lens. I would be purchasing Alpa products to do portraits with.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Needless to say it's not the traditional use for a tech camera. But some of my favorite portraits were done on 8x10 polaroid, so the "traditional" use of a camera need not be it's only use.

Case in point: I've used a tech cam with an infrared back to shoot a football game.

It very much limited the type of shots I could take, and dropped my "keeper" rate through the floor. But it was fun. Then again, someone else may have hated every second of it; depends on if you embrace full-manual zen-guessing and the challenge of using something for other than its intended purpose or if you hate all of that.

OSU vs OU | Doug Peterson

I think this is one of those situations where working with a dealer, or friend, or forum member, to try before you buy. You may find you love it. Or you may find it was a terrible idea. You should be able to figure out within a couple hours of shooting.

We'd be glad to have you play with a couple tech cameras in our studio in Midtown Manhattan.

Leigh

Hi,

You can use any kind of camera to shoot any kind of subject.

Some camera types are better suited to certain subjects, but that's a preference, not a law.

The lens I prefer for portraiture is slightly longer than normal, like 85mm on a 35mm body or 210mm on a 4x5.
Of course that choice depends very much on how you want the subject to look in the final image.

- Leigh

kdphotography

As long as your subject is fairly still (no running kids) and a little patient, you can use a technical camera for portraiture. With recent advances in technology, it is getting easier to use a technical camera in portraiture, though it may not be the preferred platform with a digital back. You can still utilize wireless triggers for your studio strobes. Focusing "quickly" is the challenge. I used a SK 120 on IQ180 and Cambo WRS. Focus mask or tethered to Surface Pro helped, but it was still a challenge to make sure focus was perfect. The resulting portrait printed six feet tall, B&W on K7 printer was worthwhile. Portraiture here was more on a whim.

Now with the IQ3 100, and HDMI focusing with the Sidefinder----I plan on using the technical camera more often when I can for portraiture. It's just that much easier and quicker to make it practical. I'll most likely use the 120mm and 150mm.

Ken

danlindberg

Portraits with tech cam? Sure! Not fast and more preparation than usual but I see it as a challange and I for one like challanges :eek: