Site Sponsors

Thread: Using tech cameras for portraiture

Post Thanks / Like

Using tech cameras for portraiture

Thanks for letting me join and hope to learn from you guys and one day be able to teach too. I been looking into tech cameras and medium format but just never seen posts here or other forums about doing portraits with them. I would like to know do you use tech cameras for portraits and what lens? I only see wide angle large format lens posted here not long lens. I would be purchasing Alpa products to do portraits with.
    "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right" Shirou Emyia

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Using tech cameras for portraiture

Needless to say it's not the traditional use for a tech camera. But some of my favorite portraits were done on 8x10 polaroid, so the "traditional" use of a camera need not be it's only use.

Case in point: I've used a tech cam with an infrared back to shoot a football game.

It very much limited the type of shots I could take, and dropped my "keeper" rate through the floor. But it was fun. Then again, someone else may have hated every second of it; depends on if you embrace full-manual zen-guessing and the challenge of using something for other than its intended purpose or if you hate all of that.

OSU vs OU | Doug Peterson

I think this is one of those situations where working with a dealer, or friend, or forum member, to try before you buy. You may find you love it. Or you may find it was a terrible idea. You should be able to figure out within a couple hours of shooting.

We'd be glad to have you play with a couple tech cameras in our studio in Midtown Manhattan.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

You can use any kind of camera to shoot any kind of subject.

Some camera types are better suited to certain subjects, but that's a preference, not a law.

The lens I prefer for portraiture is slightly longer than normal, like 85mm on a 35mm body or 210mm on a 4x5.
    Of course that choice depends very much on how you want the subject to look in the final image.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

As long as your subject is fairly still (no running kids) and a little patient, you can use a technical camera for portraiture. With recent advances in technology, it is getting easier to use a technical camera in portraiture, though it may not be the preferred platform with a digital back. You can still utilize wireless triggers for your studio strobes. Focusing "quickly" is the challenge. I used a SK 120 on IQ180 and Cambo WRS. Focus mask or tethered to Surface Pro helped, but it was still a challenge to make sure focus was perfect. The resulting portrait printed six feet tall, B&W on K7 printer was worthwhile. Portraiture here was more on a whim.

Now with the IQ3 100, and HDMI focusing with the Sidefinder----I plan on using the technical camera more often when I can for portraiture. It's just that much easier and quicker to make it practical. I'll most likely use the 120mm and 150mm.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Portraits with tech cam? Sure! Not fast and more preparation than usual but I see it as a challange and I for one like challanges

Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on Facebook
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi-

Richard Avedon did some remarkable portraits with 8x10 and larger cameras in studio and out of doors. Compared to 8x10, Tech cameras with MFB should be a piece of cake.

http://www.avedonfoundation.org/

jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Linhof c679 view camera with 55mm lens and p25 back.

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post