The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-40 Exposure not possible, check magazine..

ElmarDam

So..

Yesterday i was shooting a huge production. when suddenly the DB of my h4d-40 lost connection with the body.
Exposure not possible, check magazine was the only message. I was shooting tethered, removed the FW800 cable. From then the camera would'nt boot up at all, so i removed the DB and the body would powerup. The DB disconnected from the body is powering up connected to my laptop.

So, seperately they are working fine (body and DB) but when they are attached to eacother thet are not. What did i do so far?

- Reset cam (iso, menu) battery insert
- reset fully charged batteries (flash, menu) battery insert.
- loaded default settings on both body and digital back
- removed all power and rest the set for a while.
- left the DB to my MACpro for all night. (to charge the internal battery?)
- out of clues.
- tried several options to assemble all the pieces together.. (back powered on/ off, body on/ off... etc)

before i send it 2 HB... i was wondering of any of you guys/ girls have any suggestion to check out?

There is nothing more irritating/ stressful when your most beloved equipment starts to malfunction in a huge production..

Thanks!
Modify message

tcdeveau

So..

Yesterday i was shooting a huge production. when suddenly the DB of my h4d-40 lost connection with the body.
Exposure not possible, check magazine was the only message. I was shooting tethered, removed the FW800 cable. From then the camera would'nt boot up at all, so i removed the DB and the body would powerup. The DB disconnected from the body is powering up connected to my laptop.

So, seperately they are working fine (body and DB) but when they are attached to eacother thet are not. What did i do so far?

- Reset cam (iso, menu) battery insert
- reset fully charged batteries (flash, menu) battery insert.
- loaded default settings on both body and digital back
- removed all power and rest the set for a while.
- left the DB to my MACpro for all night. (to charge the internal battery?)
- out of clues.
- tried several options to assemble all the pieces together.. (back powered on/ off, body on/ off... etc)

before i send it 2 HB... i was wondering of any of you guys/ girls have any suggestion to check out?

There is nothing more irritating/ stressful when your most beloved equipment starts to malfunction in a huge production..

Thanks!
Modify message
have you tried cleaning the contacts on the body/back? I think capture integration and others recommend using a simple pencil eraser to wipe them down

jerome_m

have you tried cleaning the contacts on the body/back? I think capture integration and others recommend using a simple pencil eraser to wipe them down
Contact spray on a Q-tip would be a better choice. If you don't have contact spray, glass cleaning fluid does the job. You spray the Q-tip and use that to clean.

You should also check the battery (and clean the battery contacts). It is simply possible that power is not sufficient for camera and back together.

ElmarDam

Thanks, Will try that! I cleaned the contacts a few times now. didnt help ;(
Actually, i tried the back on another H4, and had the same issues about not powering up..

fotografz

Look at the contact pins on the digital back (or the camera, can't remember which protrudes) from different low angles to see if they are all the same height. If a pin has lost spring tension it probably isn't making sufficient contact.

When you cleaned the contacts, did you clean both the back and the camera contacts?

- Marc

ElmarDam

Hi Marc,

Thanks for helping me out!
Unfotunately.. The contacts have all the same height.. and i cleaned the body aswell the DB.