The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Electronic Shutter - Full details and Q&A

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There are a lot of new features in Feature Update 3 but the electronic shutter really stands out both for its massive implications as well as the complicated nature of the subject matter.

We've published an extensive article here: Phase One Electronic Shutter

We've been playing with this feature for a while now. If you have any questions leave them here or contact us and we'll be glad to answer.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any shutter speed?
By newest back, do you mean the 100mpx sensor IQ3 only?
IQ3 100mp only.

Any speed the XF can normally do (e.g. not faster than 1/4000).

Is the electronic shutter full 16bit?
Short answer: Yes, 16 bit.
Long answer: All three normal file modes are available (IIQ-L 16 Bit, IIQ-L, IIQ-S). If you select IIQ-L 16 bit that is exactly what you get - the quality of the raw file produced is the same as when using the mechanical shutter.

Christopher

Is there (will there be) - way to use it on a tech camera ?

That would probably the biggest step forward in ages.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For me, finally being able to make my own decisions on dark frame subtraction is a huge positive!
Yes! I know this frustrated a lot of users. But I think it's a strong indication of how open Phase One has become in the last couple years to user feedback. Nearly every feature in Feature Update 3 comes from user requests.

gerald.d

Just trying to get my head around the possibilities here...

On a tech-cam, is it possible run live-view via HDMI output whilst simultaneously triggering the e-shutter? I recognize of course that perhaps the HDMI output will get interrupted for the duration of the back read-out.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Christopher

I can't wait to try it out. Not needing cables for my tech camera sounds amazing. As does beeing able to make panoramic images with the same shutter time!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Phase One Electronic Shutter - Full details and Q&A

I can't wait to try it out. Not needing cables for my tech camera sounds amazing. As does beeing able to make panoramic images with the same shutter time!
Exact multi-second exposures (as opposed to "one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi...") will be a very nice fringe benefit!

Hey, what do people in other countries use to count seconds?

- - - Updated - - -

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "RCam"?
Tech camera we make for art reproduction (Reproduction Camera... RCam).
http://dtdch.com/dt-rcam-reprographic-camera-system/

Not of much interest for shooting people or places.

- - - Updated - - -

On a tech-cam, is it possible run live-view via HDMI output whilst simultaneously triggering the e-shutter? I recognize of course that perhaps the HDMI output will get interrupted for the duration of the back read-out.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Should be. I can confirm in just a few minutes (walking over to grab such a setup)...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Yes. HDMI with an IQ3 100mp on an XF works the same with ES as with the mechanical shutter. You can start the feed and initiate a capture which causes the HDMI feed to cut for the duration of the shot and then resumes a moment later.

gerald.d

Yes. HDMI with an IQ3 100mp on an XF works the same with ES as with the mechanical shutter. You can start the feed and initiate a capture which causes the HDMI feed to cut for the duration of the shot and then resumes a moment later.
Thanks Doug. That opens up some really interesting workflows.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

vjbelle

This is incredibly cool!! No more threaded shutter releases or sync cables. I'm assuming that there is a phone app to control it also. I don't own or want an iPhone so if there is an app I hope its available for Android. I am a little ignorant regarding apps since I don't own an XF where there may be more demand. 1/3 shutter speeds...... a dream come true!!

Victor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is incredibly cool!! No more threaded shutter releases or sync cables. I'm assuming that there is a phone app to control it also. I don't own or want an iPhone so if there is an app I hope its available for Android. I am a little ignorant regarding apps since I don't own an XF where there may be more demand. 1/3 shutter speeds...... a dream come true!!
Control of the electronic shutter can be accomplished from:
- The XF (if on an XF)
- The digital back LCD (always)
- Capture Pilot on any iOS device* (if wifi is turned on)
- Capture One (if tethered)

There is no Android version currently, but you can request one through your dealer. As you can see in the Feature Update Phase One is taking quite seriously the widespread requests of its users.

*If you do Android for your phone you might consider an iPad Mini or iPod Touch for wireless control/review/editing of your digital back. No cell contract required and longer battery life (since you won't be using it as a cell phone).

narikin

Good looking series of feature updates, look forward to trying them out.

Very happy to see full Electronic Shutter on the IQ100, thought it might mean I could use my Alpa TC/STC/Max without needing to cock the shutter, and it does, kind of, but not for anything moving with what appears to be a strong rolling shutter problem - not surprising given the sensors size/Mp, but that kind of kills silent street work. With anything involving motion you'll still need a regular shutter - lens or focal plane - for that, correct Doug?

f8orbust

Great to see this tech coming into MF.

That said, if you make use of the ES, the IQ3-100 effectively become a scanning back, with a fast read out time per line but a lag time to get all the data off the sensor, so tricky to use with moving subjects and/or long exposures.

Also, coming on the back of the recent announcement of the IQ1-100, another 'IQ3 only' announcement so soon is just plain weird.

Does P1 actually want anyone to buy the IQ1-100 ?

Jim

Last edited:

vjbelle

Thanks Doug for the added information. If Apple didn't play so many games with their phones when first released they would have me as a customer. However, they wait for some time before offering their phones availability without sim. So, I stay with Google. I do have various Apple products including iPads so I will try out your suggestion regarding capture pilot.

Victor