The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One V Grip

f8orbust

Personally, I think it should have stayed on the press a bit longer.

That's got to win the award for the most ergonomically inefficient vertical grip I've ever seen. On a camera that already is probably heaviest in its class, who thought it was a good idea to move the grip even further out from the center of mass ?

With the viewfinder already offset towards the 'bottom' of the camera, you're now going to have to hold 75% of the mass of the camera above your head in order to use it.

One for portrait photographers built like Arnold Schwarzenegger only I reckon.

That's got to win the award for the most ergonomically inefficient vertical grip I've ever seen. On a camera that already is probably heaviest in its class, who thought it was a good idea to move the grip even further out from the center of mass ?
Actually. This a good time to remember Photography 101. Elbows in when holding a camera for the most stability. The new v-grip looks great and very functional. I look forward to checking it out in person.

Chipcarterdc

At first glance, I agreed with you. But one thing Phase one has unquestionably gotten right with the XF body is ergonomics. Let me rephrase that: they've gotten *many* things right with the XF body, but my point is that I'm willing to take their ergonomic design on faith, having experienced what they've done right in that regard with the body. And if this one is an ergonomic miss rather than an ergonomic hit, you can always return it after trying it out.

With the viewfinder already offset towards the 'bottom' of the camera, you're now going to have to hold 75% of the mass of the camera above your head in order to use it.

One for portrait photographers built like Arnold Schwarzenegger only I reckon.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
At first glance, I agreed with you. But one thing Phase one has unquestionably gotten right with the XF body is ergonomics. Let me rephrase that: they've gotten *many* things right with the XF body, but my point is that I'm willing to take their ergonomic design on faith, having experienced what they've done right in that regard with the body. And if this one is an ergonomic miss rather than an ergonomic hit, you can always return it after trying it out.
No need to even "return" - your dealer can arrange any number of ways for you to play hands on before committing in the first place.

I think it will be hard for many people to appreciate how great the wrap-around handle style of this vertical grip is until they've physically held it. As a guy with big hands... very helpful.

kdphotography

As heavy as the XF is---images of a large suitcase handle quickly came to mind. I don't think I was far off. :D

Probably not on my shopping list, but yes, I'll have to give it a try!

ken

Mgreer316

It seems that when thinking about Phase One gear, we just have to pretend like we're dealing with Monopoly money. $1500 for a grip is crazy. I get bent when I look at the $350 grip price for the Canon 5D MKIV. Yea, I know that economics of scale plays a huge role. But still, $1500 on top of an $8,000 body? Just my $0.02.

Oh, one last thing. The old V-Grip Air was what $1300 I believe. Which I bought and now have no use for since getting the XF. But at least the cost was semi justified in the it include Profoto Air triggering. This grip is just a grip with shutter release buttons, yet it's $200 more. Oh well. My main lens is the 75-150LS. I wonder what that lens, the XF, Credo60 digital back, and this grip would weigh? I'm 6' 3" and 255lb. I work out 4-6 times a week. And I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle that setup hand held for a typical shoot. I've always preferred big and heavy cameras as they felt more stable in my hands. But this one might be over my threshold.

Mgreer316

You know what would've been cool? If they included a card slot in the grip for redundant recording. It needn't be a CF card, it could've been an SD card slot. At least that would've given extra functionality to a simple grip.

Chipcarterdc

Question, prompted by the description on the Digital Transitions website:

"The optional strap cradles the hand and allows the user to relax their grip when resting the camera at their side."

The handstrap is optional? Optional as in "costs extra/must be purchased separately" or as in "it's included with the grip, but you (obviously) needn't necessarily attach it to the grip."

Last edited:

kdphotography

As heavy as the XF body is, add the MFDB, and a *dainty* SK LS Blue lens----really? With this added grip, a user can really relax their grip resting the entire camera system at their side???

I just don't think so.

:loco:

dchew

Ken,
It's just a small typo. I think they mean you can rest your body up against the camera. You know, kinda like leaning up against a tree or the side of a house.
:cool:

Dave

As heavy as the XF body is, add the MFDB, and a *dainty* SK LS Blue lens----really? With this added grip, a user can really relax their grip resting the entire camera system at their side???

I just don't think so.

:loco:

Don Libby

Reminds me of a camera made out of Lego blocks :grin:. I'll let my brothers Ken and Jeffery try it out; thankfully I have no need/desire. Plus I emptied the piggybank ordering the IQ1-100.

Chipcarterdc

FYI, my dealer told me my V grip is now on the way. I should have it by this weekend. Given that it's a holiday, I won't have a chance to do any serious shooting, but I do intend to play around with it. So if there are particular matters anyone would like me to pay particular attention to or provide initial feedback on, let me know and I'll try my best.

kdphotography

Like Dave says----I wanna see a photo of you leaning up against the camera resting...

:ROTFL:

Merry Christmas---an appropriate time to acquire more toys! ;) Let us know your thoughts!

ken