The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where to get the XF # 3 Update for Credo users?

Steve Hendrix

We've been following the Phase One XF Feature Update news closely. The XF feature Update #3 download seamlessly applies to all Phase One IQ digital backs, as we discovered (IQ1/IQ2/IQ3). Details below:

https://captureintegration.com/top-13-features-of-xf-feature-update-3/

***** But what about Credo owners?

We had a few inquiries and decided to take matters into our own hands:

https://captureintegration.com/tech-tip-xf-feature-update-3-for-credo-users/

Leaf owners, you have Brad Kaye to thank for this...

Steve Hendrix/CI

Mgreer316

Yep, I downloaded and installed it yesterday. I was going to include a link in my thread but I didn't know if it was suppose to be public or not. So I didn't do it.

Mgreer316

Yair, all that dies is describe what the features are, not how to use them. I need to read up on what exactly your TTL system is doing. I'm testing it with my Profoto B1 and results are all over the place. I locked my camera down on my camera stand and captured a series of images under the exact same conditions. After each shot, I checked the power level on the B1. It ranged from 2.3 to 10! In other words, the exposures went from slightly dark to WAY over exposed. So either I don't know how it works or something is very wrong.

Paul2660

Documentation, is one area that Phase One IMO could improve on dramatically.

I agree that the videos are basically for sales only, not tech as they don't tell you how to do anything they just show it in operation.

The ES implementation is another area that is very vague in that:

1. It's totally different between tech camera and XF and features shown.
2. The ability to turn off the dark frame is not possible on the XF (unless you are in time-lapse mode) and this is never stated clearly
3. Marketing notes seem to imply that on the tech camera once you take the one dark frame you are done, again not true, as if
change shutter speed by even 1/3 of a stop you will be asked to shoot another shot to a lens cap
4. Several Marketing publications show C1 screen shots when referring to the ES shutter implementation for the XF, not the actual
screen of the XF.
5. Only through trial and error did I realize that with the ES on the XF, I can't turn off the dark frame in single exposure mode (or maybe it's
being done automatically on the XF?)

But as far as I know, no manual was created for any of these new features. "ask your dealer" tends to be a response. Sure your dealer should be a great resource, but it's not an excuse for not creating a simple pdf that tell a users how to implement these new features, just like a "manual" would show. It would have taken a tech writer maybe a couple of hours to write up a step by step process list with pictures for these new features.

But feature set 2 was handled the same way, so this is nothing new. (the lack of doc's handling the focus stacking feature is another example and even today, it's still not totally clear how to use this feature. I have never seen a single point by point listing of the exact series of steps to take to set the near and far point. But enough has been written on this site by users it's possible to figure it out.

Paul C

yaya

(cross posting)
Please have a look at the updated manual https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/Manuals/Manuals_XF.aspx On page 61 there is some further information on how to use Profoto lights and page 54 explains how to use the ES.

Hope this helps

Yair

PS the manual gets regular updates as new features are added. I'll see if we can make a note of that on the main product page as it can save some frustration on your side...

Last edited: