The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question, on Electronic Shutter implementation on XF

Paul2660

After spending a lot of time on this today, it seems that there are two implementations for the ES from Phase One, XF and Tech camera.

With the Tech Camera, it's possible to control the Dark Frame exposure for a single exposure, where as with the XF, the only tool where you have any control on the Dark Frame is with the Time-lapse tool. Also on the tech camera to turn off the dark frame, you must be using the ES, not planning to use the copal shutter.

So, if I have ES enabled on the XF, and take a exposure of 1" or longer, I am still always going to have to have a manditory dark frame exposure. Where as if I had the IQ100 on a tech camera, I would be asked to shoot 1 frame with the lens cap on, and after that I can take all the 1" shots I want with no dark frame. Why the difference?

Also for those who have tried this, if on a tech camera, you set up for a 1 second exposure, shoot the one shot into the lens cap, the camera can then continue to shoot 1" exposures with no dark frame, but if you change the exposure time to 3" or 2" etc. I believe you will again have to take at least 1 exposure with a lens cap on. Thus if you are working in a bracketing situation, where you want to shoot 1", 4", 8", 10" etc. to me there is not any gain over the old dark frame method as each change in shutter speed will generate a request for a new shot with a lens cap on. Is this correct?

On the XF, it appears you can't even do the first option, where you want to take multiple 1" exposures and only have the dark frame shot the first time, unless you are in time-lapse mode. In Focus stack mode, you don't have the option to turn off the dark frame, but I guess it's assumed most exposures will be above 1"?

Just want to make sure I am not over looking a step or setup screen.

Paul C

dchew

Also for those who have tried this, if on a tech camera, you set up for a 1 second exposure, shoot the one shot into the lens cap, the camera can then continue to shoot 1" exposures with no dark frame, but if you change the exposure time to 3" or 2" etc. I believe you will again have to take at least 1 exposure with a lens cap on. Thus if you are working in a bracketing situation, where you want to shoot 1", 4", 8", 10" etc. to me there is not any gain over the old dark frame method as each change in shutter speed will generate a request for a new shot with a lens cap on. Is this correct?
Paul,
That appears to be correct. Up to this point I see no difference in the "as needed" and the "one frame only" modes when using a tech camera. I suppose if I was taking 10's or 100's of shots I would see a difference, but not when taking a few shots. In fact, if I take a 1" shot, switch to 1.6", and finally back to 1", the back demands a dark frame for each shot regardless of which mode it is in.

That's not how I thought this would work.

Dave

dchew

I just realized the back tells you ahead of time when it will require a dark frame when in "as required" mode.

After exposing an image the moon lights up, telling you it will not require a dark frame if you make another exposure. As you change the shutter speed, the moon will eventually ghost out, telling you it will require another dark frame after that capture.

For example, after I shoot a 1/30" frame, the moon is lit when adjusting the shutter time between 1/60 and 1/15. Outside that range it ghosts out and will require another dark frame. The longer the shutter speed, the less flexible that dark frame becomes. At 1 second, it requires another dark frame at 0.8" and 1.3".

Dave