Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Shot this image to test for rolling shutter. ISO 3200, f11, 1/50.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF000918.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	454.6 KB 
ID:	121626  
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    It would be better to call this 'SB' (for scanning back) rather than 'ES' - but obviously that's a harder feature to sell.

    This isn't really an electronic shutter in the sense that I imagine it - i.e. one that can read all the data from the back in something like 1/250" or less.

    As a scanning back, the IQ3-100 is a bit quicker than Betterlight's 80MP model - though the Betterlight records true RGB data - and a bit slower than Seitz's 6x17 Digital Panoramic Camera, which can pull a 160MP image composed of true RGB data in less than a second.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jamgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    This "Electronic Shutter" is a great feature to have and will be suitable for many situations. However, anything with movements especially along the X-axis and a global shutter is the right choice. ES is another convenience tool for the photographers and offers something that Copal shutter can not. However, we have to understand when its usage can result in the "rolling shutter effect" and make informed choice accordingly.
    IQ3 100 H • Cambo 1200 • Rodenstock 32HR 90HRSW
    UnTroubled Land
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    I can't really see the comparison to a Seitz 6 x 17, as the normal exposure is between 2 and 3 seconds in normal light as I understand it. A true scanning back.

    The ES on the IQ100 operates between any selected shutter speed, i.e. 1 hour to 1/4000 at any ISO selected on the camera, more similar to the ES on a Fuji X-T1.

    No doubt the images from a 40K or so Seitz are going to be excellent, but any movement at all, will be blurred, as you are limited to around 2 seconds for any exposure, where as the ES on the Phase easily stops motion of leaves, grass, as it can be used in a full range of shutter speeds. The issue of rolling shutter is nothing really that new, shows up in many DSLR's that shoot video even the latest from Canon still have the issue.

    You can hand hold the XF and use the ES also, but shutter speeds are limited to beyond 1/250 and results vary. But when on tripod I have not had any rolling shutter problems within the range of normal landscape images for me, even yesterday with a pretty strong wing blowing shutter speeds of 1/250 and 1/500 worked fine. But the motion of small objects, such as leaves, grass, plants etc don't seem to have issues, obviously a car or any larger object does. Just like with Fuji's X-T1 or now X-T2.

    For the tech camera users, this is a huge move forward, as you are now free of the Copal shutter, and it's totally non-accurate shutter speeds, and now can also gain 1/3 or 1/2 stops which to me is a nice feature, but just being able to get true 1/30, 1/60 1/125 and 1/250 is a big plus. Not to mention you are free from the other side of the equation, an electronic shutter for each tech camera lens, that needs it's own battery, and controller and most are limited to 1/250th as the fastest shutter speed. The the cost and additional weight, and mass of an ES on a tech lens has always made such a solution non-tenable for me.

    Paul C

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    I also agree with what Paul has said...... this is a very welcome feature for me. It will probably taker the next iteration of sensors for the incorporation of a complete on/off shutter type effect. In the mean time this step is very welcome.....

    Victor

  6. #6
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Hi,

    The electronic shutter is simply an electronic version of the focal plane shutter. Because it is limited by readout speed it travels slowly.

    I don't think a global shutter is possible with today's technology, so I don't think we will see that feature on any large sensors any soon.

    But, I may be wrong, of course.

    Best regards
    Erik

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I also agree with what Paul has said...... this is a very welcome feature for me. It will probably taker the next iteration of sensors for the incorporation of a complete on/off shutter type effect. In the mean time this step is very welcome.....

    Victor

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    For the tech camera users, this is a huge move forward, as you are now free of the Copal shutter, and it's totally non-accurate shutter speeds, and now can also gain 1/3 or 1/2 stops which to me is a nice feature, but just being able to get true 1/30, 1/60 1/125 and 1/250 is a big plus. Not to mention you are free from the other side of the equation, an electronic shutter for each tech camera lens, that needs it's own battery, and controller and most are limited to 1/250th as the fastest shutter speed. The the cost and additional weight, and mass of an ES on a tech lens has always made such a solution non-tenable for me.

    Paul C
    The thought of incorporating Copal electronic shutters is mind boggling. Talk about spending money and then having to spend more money on a control device that adds extra weight and complication. All of the points covered by Paul's post point out the incredible benefits of this feature.

    Victor

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    As a tech cam user shooting mostly architecture I welcome the move, as I don't care much about the jelly effect. To me the real drawback is that 1" flash sync, meaning I couldn't use the ES for interiors, unless relying on available or continuous light.

    For you guys shooting mostly landscapes this is a great feature.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I can't really see the comparison to a Seitz 6 x 17, as the normal exposure is between 2 and 3 seconds in normal light as I understand it. A true scanning back.

    The ES on the IQ100 operates between any selected shutter speed, i.e. 1 hour to 1/4000 at any ISO selected on the camera, more similar to the ES on a Fuji X-T1.
    <snip>

    Paul C
    Hi Paul -

    It's actually closely analogous. The fundamental difference between the Seitz 6x17 and the IQ3 100 electronic shutter is that the IQ3 100 is exposing different pixels over the duration of the "scan" of the electronic shutter, whereas the D3 scanning back in the Seitz is moving a block of pixels across the frame.

    Exposure time at the pixel level on the Seitz can range from 1/2000th of a second up to 10 seconds. It was an impressive piece of kit in its day, but I think it's been left behind somewhat (claimed DR is only 11 stops, for example).

    Kind regards,


    Gerald.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Obviously, the technology behind this is way over my head, and I can learn more from Erik and others, with the engineering background and always welcome the knowledge.

    From my own perspective, as a photographer, I see this feature (ES) as a huge advantage, and not sure why Phase choose to hold it away from Kina.

    Simple example, of where I have immediately found 100% improvement. Phase/Schneider 240LS lens, an amazing piece of glass, but heavy and it has not tripod collar. With the XF, I was finding that even with a remote release, shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1/30 could possible contain blur, slight blur, but easily noticed especially on distant subject matter (1 mile to 6 miles out). I was able to get a better result by adding in the RRS large lens stabilization tool. But that device is both heavy, and takes time to setup. Plus, it totally limits me to a horizontal capture and many times I want to go vertical. XF and Vertical just don't mix well as you can visually see the camera move when the mirror goes up, so vibration is there (note I was always in the Vibration reduction mode on the XF). Just touching the back to fire the camera adds movement and I have had mixed results with the 2 sec delay.

    Yesterday, I took the same setup out and shot at 1/15 to 1/30 with the ES, you will get a full shutter action on the first frame and after than all you hear is the beep. I did use the remote release. The images were tack sharp, none with the slight blur, none showed any rolling movement problems (subject matter was outdoors, trees, leaves plants). Personally I can't see any delay either between firing the normal shutter and using the ES, as 1/15 and 1/30 and 1/60 all seem to take the same amount of time. I understand that the ES is reading by lines thus slower capturing the data slower than if fired by focal, but I am not seeing any issues for my normal photography and the benefits for long glass are 100% improved.

    Overall a very positive step forward, and as Erik states, I am sure the next round will be a global ES, (not sure what Fuji has implemented on their X cameras, if it's a global or not, but it will shoot up to 1/32000, but has immediate problem with indoor lighting creating banding so I am assuming it's recording similar to how Phase One is?)

    Paul C

  11. #11
    Senior Member stngoldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    newport, RI
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Wow, using the ES seems to be complicated especially with respect to the Dark Frame.
    Thank you guys for bringing clarity to this wonderful new tool.
    Although I am not a Phase One owner, I find the technology fascinating
    Stanley

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Obviously, the technology behind this is way over my head, and I can learn more from Erik and others, with the engineering background and always welcome the knowledge.

    From my own perspective, as a photographer, I see this feature (ES) as a huge advantage, and not sure why Phase choose to hold it away from Kina.

    Simple example, of where I have immediately found 100% improvement. Phase/Schneider 240LS lens, an amazing piece of glass, but heavy and it has not tripod collar. With the XF, I was finding that even with a remote release, shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1/30 could possible contain blur, slight blur, but easily noticed especially on distant subject matter (1 mile to 6 miles out). I was able to get a better result by adding in the RRS large lens stabilization tool. But that device is both heavy, and takes time to setup. Plus, it totally limits me to a horizontal capture and many times I want to go vertical. XF and Vertical just don't mix well as you can visually see the camera move when the mirror goes up, so vibration is there (note I was always in the Vibration reduction mode on the XF). Just touching the back to fire the camera adds movement and I have had mixed results with the 2 sec delay.

    Yesterday, I took the same setup out and shot at 1/15 to 1/30 with the ES, you will get a full shutter action on the first frame and after than all you hear is the beep. I did use the remote release. The images were tack sharp, none with the slight blur, none showed any rolling movement problems (subject matter was outdoors, trees, leaves plants). Personally I can't see any delay either between firing the normal shutter and using the ES, as 1/15 and 1/30 and 1/60 all seem to take the same amount of time. I understand that the ES is reading by lines thus slower capturing the data slower than if fired by focal, but I am not seeing any issues for my normal photography and the benefits for long glass are 100% improved.

    Overall a very positive step forward, and as Erik states, I am sure the next round will be a global ES, (not sure what Fuji has implemented on their X cameras, if it's a global or not, but it will shoot up to 1/32000, but has immediate problem with indoor lighting creating banding so I am assuming it's recording similar to how Phase One is?)

    Paul C
    Moving water? Moving clouds? Moving trees and flowers? Snow?
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Moving water? Moving clouds? Moving trees and flowers? Snow?

    No problem at all with ES, as long as it's not massiv... I haven't found a normal landscape so far which would not work.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Moving water? Moving clouds? Moving trees and flowers? Snow?
    As stated by Christopher. No problems so far with any natural subjects.

    Clouds, water or leaves. Water is blurred anyway due to the shutter speed I tend to work with.

    Paul C

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    As stated by Christopher. No problems so far with any natural subjects.

    Clouds, water or leaves. Water is blurred anyway due to the shutter speed I tend to work with.

    Paul C
    Interesting. I have not used the Electronic Shutter on the A7RII, but my understanding was that it was not ready for prime time in the natural world.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    I thought about this some more and I did some more testing today, with about a 5 to 10mph wind.

    Tree leaves at 1/250 appear fine, but if I slow down to a 1/40 to 1/25, I will see blur but that is standard motion blur. Clouds so far are not an issue but on a very windy day, where you can clearly see movement that might be a different issue, but again a cloud is so non uniform, not sure it will matter.

    If anything it adds to water work for me, as I prefer a slow shutter, say 1 to 5 sec. I have not tried to stop water at a faster shutter speed, curious what that will look like.

    The other way to look at it for me is, tree leaves/grass/plants that are stationary are moving but not moving across the shutter, thus their slight motion doesn't seem to cross the boundary and create the rolling shutter issue. If a entire tree limb is moving in high wind, it's much more possible to have an issue.

    Larger objects, cars, planes, trains, animals etc. more than likely won't work since they are moving faster and their motion is not from a static base, (like a tree leaf), thus they are going to have the classic rolling shutter effect. And I just realized during this test, that a falling leaf, can create a bit of problem if it happens to cross the sensor close enough up as it's rate of fall is moving it over a much greater portion of the sensor again creating the rolling look.

    It's a good problem to have I guess, but you do need to check your shots if you are seeing a lot of wind movement.

    Paul C

  17. #17
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Hi,

    It should work just fine, but limits DR to 12 bits. Readout is something like 10X faster than the 100 MP Phase One back.

    There is little reason to use silent shutter on the A7rII as electronic first shutter curtain takes care of the vibration issues anyway.

    On the other hand, it is totally silent and has no mechanical wear.

    Best regards
    Erik



    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Interesting. I have not used the Electronic Shutter on the A7RII, but my understanding was that it was not ready for prime time in the natural world.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Interesting. I have not used the Electronic Shutter on the A7RII, but my understanding was that it was not ready for prime time in the natural world.
    of course you think it was not ready for prime time when it fact it is very usable because it was sony and not your love brand

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    of course you think it was not ready for prime time when it fact it is very usable because it was sony and not your love brand

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    of course you think it was not ready for prime time when it fact it is very usable because it was sony and not your love brand
    I don't know what a "love brand" is, but you must have a very kinky imagination. It sounds like something you took from a Google translator. However, one thing I can say about me is that I am totally brand agnostic. In contrast to fan boys and haters (and CSP, you KNOW who the haters are), I buy them all and own them all. Phase, Hasselblad, Sony, Zeiss...They all make great camera gear. Some of it works for me. Some of it doesn't. If it doesn't work for me, I don't question why someone else thinks it works for him. You have that covered.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    122

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    Wow, using the ES seems to be complicated especially with respect to the Dark Frame.
    Perhaps another step when using it on a tech camera, as the back has no way to control light hitting the sensor so it tells the user when it needs the shutter closed or lens cap on. But it still avoids so many steps that it’s easier and very nice when the scene allows it. really isn’t complicated, the back tells you in needs to do a dark frame, so you click the shutter closed on the lens, touch the checkmark on the back, and then open the shutter again. A step, but not complicated or confusing.

    Using it on the XF also has some advantages (as mentioned by Paul), and on that body camera handles the dark frame. I’ve been thinking of buying a used 300, which most of us have given up on because it is nearly impossible to get a sharp shot because of shutter vibration. I’ve heard the EFC has helped that, but now it seems very viable in some circumstances using ES.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    As stated by Christopher. No problems so far with any natural subjects.

    Clouds, water or leaves. Water is blurred anyway due to the shutter speed I tend to work with.

    Paul C
    Anyone tried it on a seascape with large portions of the scene covered by waves?

  22. #22
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Images of, say, 20-60 secs each for star trails would be interesting with ES. Depending on focal length and the angle of movement across the frame, could the star movement interact with the sweep of the sensor read-out?

  23. #23
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Hi Ed,

    The scan time will be around 0.6 seconds whatever the exposure time. So, if you expose for 20-40 seconds the back will do a sweeping reset that takes about 0.6, after that all of the sensor collects light, the electronic shutter is fully open. After 19-59 seconds a sweeping readout starts. So in essence that the ES will work just as a focal plane shutter.

    With Electronic First Curtain there is a a second curtain that terminates exposure, that can sweep reasonably fast. Reset can be very fast. So it will still operate as an FP shutter, but sweep time will be decided by the travel time of the second curtain.

    It is also possible to do a global reset. This is used on the Hasselblad X1D. The exposure starts with the leaf shutter open and the sensor just does a global reset. Exposure is terminated by the closure of the leaf shutter.

    Reset is easy, it is just about connect the photodiode to signal ground. Readout is a different process. A reference voltage is ramped up and compared with photodiode voltage. The time to reach equal voltage is the digital output. This ramping is a bit slow and it is done for each row of the sensor. So momentous global readout cannot be made with the technology used now. It was possible on interline CCDs, that could pop the charge into a storage position and readout in post.

    I am no expert in this area, it is just my understanding how those things work.

    Best regards
    Erik

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Images of, say, 20-60 secs each for star trails would be interesting with ES. Depending on focal length and the angle of movement across the frame, could the star movement interact with the sweep of the sensor read-out?

  24. #24
    Senior Member dchew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Erik,
    Everything is relative. To me, you are indeed an expert in this area!


    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    I am no expert in this area, it is just my understanding how those things work.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Currently Sony's Exmor technology is up to the point where they can utilize BSI to push all on-sensor circuitry behind the photosensitive area, which means the wiring no longer occupies the same area as the sensor wells, allowing for larger pixels. But it may also mean that a global electronic shutter can now be implemented without significant drawbacks, as previously it came at the cost of reduced DR and higher noise. This is going to be the development to watch out for.

  26. #26
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Hi,

    Yes that is correct, but wiring occupies a very small area on modern sensors anyway. Sony now also has stacked sensors but only in small sizes. The RX10 can do a lot of magic with new sensor technology.

    Regarding global shutters, I guess it is something like 2-3 sensor generations ahead. I would suggest that things take time.

    We had a fantastic journey with digital technology and it is not over yet, but things are slowing down a bit…

    Best regards
    Erik


    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Currently Sony's Exmor technology is up to the point where they can utilize BSI to push all on-sensor circuitry behind the photosensitive area, which means the wiring no longer occupies the same area as the sensor wells, allowing for larger pixels. But it may also mean that a global electronic shutter can now be implemented without significant drawbacks, as previously it came at the cost of reduced DR and higher noise. This is going to be the development to watch out for.

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Simple example, of where I have immediately found 100% improvement. Phase/Schneider 240LS lens, an amazing piece of glass, but heavy and it has not tripod collar. With the XF, I was finding that even with a remote release, shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1/30 could possible contain blur, slight blur, but easily noticed especially on distant subject matter (1 mile to 6 miles out). I was able to get a better result by adding in the RRS large lens stabilization tool. But that device is both heavy, and takes time to setup. Plus, it totally limits me to a horizontal capture and many times I want to go vertical. XF and Vertical just don't mix well as you can visually see the camera move when the mirror goes up, so vibration is there (note I was always in the Vibration reduction mode on the XF). Just touching the back to fire the camera adds movement and I have had mixed results with the 2 sec delay.

    Yesterday, I took the same setup out and shot at 1/15 to 1/30 with the ES, you will get a full shutter action on the first frame and after than all you hear is the beep. I did use the remote release. The images were tack sharp, none with the slight blur, none showed any rolling movement problems (subject matter was outdoors, trees, leaves plants). Personally I can't see any delay either between firing the normal shutter and using the ES, as 1/15 and 1/30 and 1/60 all seem to take the same amount of time. I understand that the ES is reading by lines thus slower capturing the data slower than if fired by focal, but I am not seeing any issues for my normal photography and the benefits for long glass are 100% improved.
    Paul C
    Hi Paul,

    Is there an advantage of using the new ES in this setup, as opposed to the Electronic First Curtain?

    best,

    geb

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Yes there is. NO movement at all. Even closing the LS sometimes is to much vibration for perfect sharp images.
    Christopher Hauser
    My iPhone / iPad Apps
    http://www.hauser-photoart.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by gebseng View Post
    Hi Paul,

    Is there an advantage of using the new ES in this setup, as opposed to the Electronic First Curtain?

    best,

    geb
    Hi Geb,

    I was impressed with the testing I did. Before ES, I pretty much had to limit my exposures with the 240LS to 1/45 or greater (on tripod), as the slower speeds, many times would show slight blur. If the camera was vertical (which I prefer many times) problems were worse. Use of the RRS long lens support fixed the problem most of the time, but that setup:

    a: takes time to setup
    b: won't easily allow for a vertical orientation of the camera

    My use always had the Vibration Reduction ON, so I assume that the EFC was in effect, but personally I never really understood the EFC on the IQ100. On my K1 or D810, it's very clear when I am using the EFC as you can hear a difference, not with the XF and IQ100, at least for me.

    Once I figured out ES on the XF, my first thoughts were just how it might improve the performance of the 240LS with the IQ100, and the results were impressive. 1/8 to 1/30 shutter speeds are now quite useable. I briefly tried the 300 Mamiya but gave up on it due to the same vibration issues, (but worse than the 240LS), but I figure that the ES would make use of the 300 possible, with slower shutter speeds, note I had to use 1/125 or higher with the 300, again on tripod.

    I have also tried the older 210mm and 75-150 and both seem work very well with the ES.

    I have to say again, the ES is a huge advantage for Phase One, for both long lens work and tech camera work.

    Paul C

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Paul just a Note. Use vibration vs normal delay and you here the difference between EFC and normal LS mode.

  31. #31
    Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    111

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    I wanted to find out if the ES would distort moving water, so I did a series of identical exposures using the FP shutter and then the ES. I did short exposures at high ISOs and long exposures with an ND filter, both in landscape and portrait orientation. (I didn't think the long exposures would show any difference but....)

    Camera on firm tripod, VR turned on, triggered with my iPhone. As I suspected, there are no distinguishable differences in the files at all. Of course, I was using the SK55 mm which would not be prone to vibration like, say, the 240 mm, but that wasn't the purpose of my test. Tomorrow I'll "do" the 240 mm.

    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #32

  33. #33
    Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    111

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Thanks, Paul. It's in the little gorge at the base of Inglis Falls in Owen Sound, Ontario. Very very slippery trail to get there!

  34. #34
    Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    111

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    A test of the ES versus the LS on the XF camera using the SK240 mm lens.

    First shot to set the scene. Tripod, cube, 1/4 sec at f11, vibration delay, Capture Pilot.



    Next is the LS shutter version at 100%



    Next is the ES version.



    It's hard to see the difference on a dumbed-down 1200 px jpg, but the resolution and micro contrast is very obvious in the RAW file. The ES is definitely worth using at slow shutter speeds. I also did a series at <100th/sec but could not see any difference.
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Hi Bill,

    Thanks for sharing. On most natural subjects I would not expect a lot of distortion from the slow moving electronic shutter. Shoot some racing cars from tripod without panning and there will be some distortion…

    Nice images, by the way!

    Best regards
    Erik

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I wanted to find out if the ES would distort moving water, so I did a series of identical exposures using the FP shutter and then the ES. I did short exposures at high ISOs and long exposures with an ND filter, both in landscape and portrait orientation. (I didn't think the long exposures would show any difference but....)

    Camera on firm tripod, VR turned on, triggered with my iPhone. As I suspected, there are no distinguishable differences in the files at all. Of course, I was using the SK55 mm which would not be prone to vibration like, say, the 240 mm, but that wasn't the purpose of my test. Tomorrow I'll "do" the 240 mm.


  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    A test of the ES versus the LS on the XF camera using the SK240 mm lens.

    First shot to set the scene. Tripod, cube, 1/4 sec at f11, vibration delay, Capture Pilot.



    Next is the LS shutter version at 100%


    Next is the ES version.



    It's hard to see the difference on a dumbed-down 1200 px jpg, but the resolution and micro contrast is very obvious in the RAW file. The ES is definitely worth using at slow shutter speeds. I also did a series at <100th/sec but could not see any difference.
    Bill...... I saw the difference immediately. To me, there's a big difference - but I'm a stickler on focus.

    Victor
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    A test of the ES versus the LS on the XF camera using the SK240 mm lens.
    <snip>

    It's hard to see the difference on a dumbed-down 1200 px jpg, but the resolution and micro contrast is very obvious in the RAW file. The ES is definitely worth using at slow shutter speeds. I also did a series at <100th/sec but could not see any difference.
    Thanks for taking the time to do this test and share it.

    Impressive. Really obvious if you load the two JPEGs into a stack and then flip the second layer on and off.

    Were these processed identically though? It's odd that the exposure on the leaves in the two images is practically identical, but on the moss/ferns there is a significant difference.

    Kind regards,


    Gerald.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    111

    Re: Phase Rolling Shutter Effect

    They were processed identically, C1 defaults, but I had to alter the exposure very slightly on one of them to match the other. This, I suspect, is because the ES is more accurate than the LS.

    Indeed, I saw this in many shots - though it is less evident when comparing the ES with FPS. As you know, LS effective speed is slightly affected by the aperture at which you're shooting. And probably very cold weather might slow the LS, too.
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •