The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That P45+ of mine survived a four foot drop…

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I happened to drop my P45+ to ground from 4 feet or so. It seems that it got some scratches on battery and buttons but it seems it survived without damage to sensor or IR-filter and preliminary tests show that sensor is still in proper alignment.

Have been lucky, but well done Phase One!

Today I was shooting some autumn leaves on the Sonnar 180/4, what a nice lens! Chalk a win for Hasselblad P/45 and Sonnar 180/4 this week! Those Sonnars are my fav lenses on the Hasselblad!

Best regards
Erik

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Phase backs are really well built. Now sensors if you hit that well it's shear luck it don't get damaged but the frame can take some abuse. Glad the sensor survived it

ErikKaffehr

Me, too!

My take is that the backs are very well built and take some punishment. That said I have been extremely lucky, but Phase can take credit for a back that can handle some retardation.

Best regards
Erik

Phase backs are really well built. Now sensors if you hit that well it's shear luck it don't get damaged but the frame can take some abuse. Glad the sensor survived it

Last edited:
I heard a story from a Phase One's salesman that an IQ series back crashed with a drone. Nothing survived except the digital back. Perhaps it's got some credibility! :thumbs:

tcdeveau

I can't seem to find them, but didn't Phase do a series of promotional videos showing the abuse a P series back could go through and still be fine? I thought I remembered them showing an elephant stepping on one, completely freezing another one in frost, and maybe some others

Glad to hear your back is ok!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Most probably saw this, but for those that didn’t

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFnQVnMY3Co”]Phase One Back vs an Elephant[/URL]

As far as crashing for those who haven’t seen

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dww2nkN6siU”]Kim Temple with the IQ250[/URL] (go to 2:20 to see the drone incident - Warning - this may be hard to watch :) )

jng

Erik,

Glad to hear that your P45+ survived the fall intact. I'll take your (and others') word for it that these backs are built tough (wasn't that an old Ford truck advertising line?) and won't test this myself - my heart races just thinking about such a mishap!

Also glad to hear that you're out there enjoying your 180/4 Sonnar. Yes these old lenses still render beautifully, even in the digital age!

Cheers,

John

ErikKaffehr

Hi John,

Well, it was not an intended test. Just a risk one takes switching the back from vertical to horizontal mounting in the field. I even checked that it was properly locked in place, but I was obviously mistaken. First time it happened to me in 3.5 years of shooting.

I was always very happy with the Sonnars, I had both the 150 and the 180.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

Glad to hear that your P45+ survived the fall intact. I'll take your (and others') word for it that these backs are built tough (wasn't that an old Ford truck advertising line?) and won't test this myself - my heart races just thinking about such a mishap!

Also glad to hear that you're out there enjoying your 180/4 Sonnar. Yes these old lenses still render beautifully, even in the digital age!

Cheers,

John