The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One on CCD Tonal Subtelty

ErikKaffehr

Hi Wayne,

Not in your head, but perhaps in your workflow. Just to say:

• D800, Sony A7rII and IQ3100 pixels should be of the same ilk, all made by Sony
  • The IQ3100 has 2-3 times more pixels than the smaller format Sony sensors over a much larger area, that helps a bit
  • The Phase One back are oriented a bit towards protecting highlights, histograms, ISO-settings and defaults in Capture One may go in that direction
  • Capture One may have better profiles their backs than for 24x36 mm

So it may be almost identical and still a bit different. It is also quite possible that CFA filter densities are optimised for daylight (and studio flash) on the IQ3100MP while Nikon and Sony may be more optimized for lower colour tempartures and even mixed light.

Regarding CCD and CMOS, yes they just count photons/electron charges. But the CFA in foront of them may differ CCD was typically Kodak or Dalsa and CMOS is most often Sony.

Best regards
Erik

I feel the same way about my files from the IQ3 100 vs the IQ180 or 380. So much detail and amazing tones, great dynamic range.

As far as looking the same, I will admit that I struggled with d800 files, and still struggle with A7rII files. Not that I don't like what I get, I just feel working with them is quite a bit different and sometimes I feel like they have something missing.

I'm sure it's all in my head ...