The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Running an IQ180 with the XF - what works, what doesnt?

malmac

I am currently using an IQ180 and a 645DF - keep thinking about scraping together the cash to buy an XF to run with the IQ180.

I have looked through the latest manual for the XF and been able to determine that some functions will not work, for instance inability to change the ISO from the camera body - with an IQ180 it has to be changed on the back.

Obviously I am not getting an electronic shutter because that is fundamentally a back driven function, as is the heat sensor in later model backs.

It seems that powershare is not a function that the IQW180 gets to utilise.

So I have been trying to make a list of functions that won't work with the IQ180 - unfortunately I have not been able to find a table that informs potential customes - if you have this back, this works and that doesn't so to speak.

What I have found so far.

powershare between camera and back
ISO adjustment is not activated by rear dial on camera
camera controls do not show on IQ180 back
electronic shutter only on IQ3 100MP back
camera set up icon on back does not show up
turn on camera and back from back ????????
histogram on camera top screen ?????
WiFi (IQ2 and IQ3 only)
HDMI export (IQ3 only)
sensor temp tool
exposure calculator tool
exposure zone tool
rename custom setup of camera using IQ back????

If you are running an IQ180/160/140 on the XF would you be so good as to add to the list if I have overlooked an XF camera function that should be on the list?

Thanks in advance

Mal

Don Libby

Mal, I had been using an iQ180 on a XF since it was first released. The difference in available functions were at first much larger before the 2nd firmware update and has grown even small with the 3rd.

While there's no power sharing for the IQ1 I've never missed it. The new batteries are huge (not physically :bugeyes:) they pack a lot of power. I still can't change the iSO off the body and while it's a nice to have I can live without it. The latest firmware has added a lot more for all users so I'd recommend visiting the website and saving the a.PDF which explains it much better than I can.

The switch to the XF for me was a no brainer; I use the waist-level finder about 80% of the time both on and off tripod. Autofocus is better the older DF. While I no longer have the 180 I still shoot with an IQ1 series the 100. See if you can arrange for a demo and I think you'll be pleased. The XF in my opinion is one of the better upgrades Phase has offered.

kdphotography

I'm going off memory here as I migrated from the IQ180 to the IQ3 100.

As I recall, you can turn on the camera/back from the camera. Actually, I think that carried over from the DF.

The biggest plus in my mind going to the XF platform (with an IQ180) is the Auto-focus performance. Huge difference between the DF series and the XF camera. H-U-G-E. Overall, the XF is simply a better camera---it makes using your MFDB that much easier. And more enjoyable. For portraiture, I really like the built-in Profoto Air.

Ken

p.s. There's an XF on the GetDPI buy/sell: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-or-wtb/59537-phase-one-xf.html

malmac

Thank you Ken and Don for your replies. I know I have never met either of you in person, Australia is a long way away - though have followed the conversation on the forum over the years and respect your views.

I have actually sent a message to Obeone - so we will see if that leads to anything.

Thanks again guys.

Mal
Australia

malmac

So the IQ100 MP has the same features in terms of interacting with the XF as the IQ 180/160/140 - how ever the IQ2 series is situated somewhere between the IQ1 series and the IQ3 backs, in terms of XF compatibility/available features.

Is this the workable understanding of the situation?

Mal

DrakeJ

I don't know why the official brochure say that the XF won't display histogram with the IQ1-series, but it certainly shows it with an IQ180 at least.

aztwang

So the IQ100 MP has the same features in terms of interacting with the XF as the IQ 180/160/140 - how ever the IQ2 series is situated somewhere between the IQ1 series and the IQ3 backs, in terms of XF compatibility/available features.

Is this the workable understanding of the situation?

Mal
IQ2 works just like IQ3 with the exception of battery sharing and 2 other features which I can not remember what they are. Steve over at CI can tell you, he sent me a sheet showing it which I lost.

Cheers

Don

Found it...

XF_Technical_Specs copy 3.jpg

malmac

Thank you again for the replies.

We have bought the XF off Frank - as advertised on this fantastic forum.

Camera arrived today so a bit of homework ahead of me now.

My back is currently running firmware version 6.07.1
and the camera is running 3.00.41

Doug, are these the correct firmware versions?

Thanks

Mal