The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 1 v9.3 + Profoto Studio 3 Plug-in = Problems

Transposure

Hey Guys,
I wanted to put the question out there to see if anyone has had the problems I experienced last night. I am running Capture One (v9.3) on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite. I had an old version of Profoto Studio 3 installed (standalone version) and decided last night to install and try the newer integrated "plug-in" version. The plug-in runs within C1 and provides a "Lighting Control" panel in the library tab of C1. in order for this to work, you have to have the Profoto dongle plugged into the USB port. The dongle is a radio much like the Air transmitter and operates the strobes (with real-time feedback) using the panel adjustments in C1.

Also, for background info, I am using a Phase XF + Credo tethered to C1 via USB3.

Well, after downloading and installing the latest version of Studio 3 from Profoto's site, opening C1, and plugging in the dongle, C1 locked up as did my computer. I lost control of the trackpad and keyboard. I ended up having to perform a hard shutdown. Ugh. I tried this a few times with similar results.
I then reinstalled C1 (v9.3) and it seemed to fix the problem of the freeze-up. But, the lighting control did not work properly. I was able to test flash the strobes (I was testing an A and B channel) and I could turn modeling lights on and off, but I could not ramp up or down the power. Very discouraging.
I was doing all of this testing in preparation for a big editorial shoot today. I thought it would be of help and turned into a hindrance.
I have since removed the plug-in Profoto bundle from the plug-in folder and I "think" I have returned stability to the system.

I was really looking forward to using this integrated feature, similar (but better) than the new integrated Profoto feature built into the XF menu. The main difference is that the plug-in within C1 provides two way communication so that you can see exactly what level your strobes are set at instead of a reference up or down from a zero point like on he XF.

Anyway, I am writing to see if anyone here can shed some light on this issue and offer any insight as to what is going on and if this is a known issue.

Thanks in advance!
Ken