The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hi and questions!

flywheel

Dear Forumers:
Hello from Denver, Colorado!
I'm new to the forum and have been lurking to pick up some knowledge from everyone here. My thanks and kudos to the community here. There's a delima that I'm facing right now and thought I'd lay it here for your comments and suggestions.
Two years ago, I picked up a Credo 40 kit and a Schnider 120mm macro lense. My plan was to do some still life shots for my profolio. However, my day job started to get busy and even busier now, so that I have not yet done much with the set, only some occasional portrait shoots.
With the medium format going to CMOS, my CCD digital back is looking outdated. I'm thinking of update to IQ150 or 350. Although I'm not using it much now, I do want to continue building my photography career. However, as little as I use them, I'm thinking of selling the whole set and get something more updated later.
The question is what would you do, to trade up now or sell now and get something later? I'm sure you may have other perspectives too.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Vincent

BANKER1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with CCD sensors. In fact, in your case, they may be even better for you. If you do not use them much, that may be a reason to sell them, but if you only want to update to CMOS, I don't see a good reason for that, given your uses.

Greg

flywheel

Thanks for your input.
I do plan to take it out of the studio for some landscaping shoots. Most likely with low light conditions, that's what I thought CMOS will have an edge. Or you don't think that'll matter that much?

jng

Since you already have the Credo 40, it might be worthwhile to get out and use it a bit to learn its capabilities and limitations for the kind of shooting you like to do, and determine whether it suits your needs/wants.

Ken: you're a bad influence!:p

- John

flywheel

Points well taken. Thanks for helping me out here. Agreed. I'll take it out and use the heck out of it.
Cheers.

Vincent

MomentsForZen

I have used a Hasselblad 500C/M body with CFV II (CCD) and CFV-50c (CMOS) digital backs. As soon as I read that you might venture into low light conditions, I decided to pass on my experience.

The CCD back was only really usable at its base ISO of 50, possibly at 100. The CMOS back was usable to 1600. The CCD back also heated up quickly, so the maximum exposure time was restricted to 32 seconds compared to the 34 minutes for the CMOS back.

I like photographing in low light conditions so the CMOS back was essential to give me a return that was worthy of the effort.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

fotografz

IMO, not using something for long periods of time is a separate piece of information for making a decision. However, in many cases digital gear drops in value steeply, then levels off. The biggest drop in price happens when buying new ... literally overnight. So, keep that in mind regarding the newer tech backs.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with older CCD gear. Personally, I prefer CCD look and feel over CMOS. Depending on the digital back or sensor, I do not agree that CCD is limited to base ISO or short exposures. They may not be the equal to CMOS in certain extreme applications, but I regularly used a H4D/40 at ISO800 with little issue and with careful exposure ISO1600 was fine.

The question one has to answer for themselves is really what and how you shoot? How much is few shots at high ISOs or 4 minute exposures worth? I've applied the same questions to things like lenses ... a 70-200/2.8 zoom is expensive for me because I rarely use one ... I checked my EXIF info after 2 years of owing one and determined that I was paying over two dollars a shot to use the lens, and most of the time it was at 70mm for which I already had the focal length covered by another zoom.

IMHO, low light is generally bad light, and high ISO capture doesn't suddenly make it good light (barring certain types of low-light photography). I also do not think high ISO performance is as pictorially great as touted by the manufacturers ... even many of the 35mm cameras aren't all they are said to be in actual practice.

- Marc

MomentsForZen

IMO, not using something for long periods of time is a separate piece of information for making a decision. However, in many cases digital gear drops in value steeply, then levels off. The biggest drop in price happens when buying new ... literally overnight. So, keep that in mind regarding the newer tech backs.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with older CCD gear. Personally, I prefer CCD look and feel over CMOS. Depending on the digital back or sensor, I do not agree that CCD is limited to base ISO or short exposures. They may not be the equal to CMOS in certain extreme applications, but I regularly used a H4D/40 at ISO800 with little issue and with careful exposure ISO1600 was fine.

The question one has to answer for themselves is really what and how you shoot? How much is few shots at high ISOs or 4 minute exposures worth? I've applied the same questions to things like lenses ... a 70-200/2.8 zoom is expensive for me because I rarely use one ... I checked my EXIF info after 2 years of owing one and determined that I was paying over two dollars a shot to use the lens, and most of the time it was at 70mm for which I already had the focal length covered by another zoom.

IMHO, low light is generally bad light, and high ISO capture doesn't suddenly make it good light (barring certain types of low-light photography). I also do not think high ISO performance is as pictorially great as touted by the manufacturers ... even many of the 35mm cameras aren't all they are said to be in actual practice.

- Marc
Hi there, Marc. Great to read about your experiences with various backs and lenses. I totally agree with you about the need to determine your very own photographic preferences/styles/demands. Nobody else can tell you what they are and just what is important to you! If we all did the same thing, my word, it would be very dull.

And Vincent, glad that you piped up and asked your question. In my case, it made me think about some aspects of my own photography. Hope that you have gotten something out of the responses. This is a good forum because of the eclectic nature of the people who post to it, and their willingness to share their knowledge and experiences.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)