The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it possible to replace shutter DIY for a SK lens?

TsurTriger

Does it possible to replace a shutter, lets say Rollei Shutter, to Copal 0 at home?
Or does it required also calibration and addition adjustments, therefore it is required to be performed by professional lab?

torger

Does it possible to replace a shutter, lets say Rollei Shutter, to Copal 0 at home?
Or does it required also calibration and addition adjustments, therefore it is required to be performed by professional lab?
The only "calibration" I've heard of is shims to fix any precision issues in the thickness of the Copal shutter, and they seem to be rarely used. I've taken a part a bunch of SK Digitar lenses and I've never come across any shims.

I would do it myself, test the lens, and if it's fine it's fine. If not, send it in for service.

TsurTriger

Thank you.
So, as I understand it, I don't need to be worried about buying optics with electronic shutter and replace it to Copal 0 shutter?
(this lens has also Copal 0 version but I don't find it any places)

JeRuFo

It's highly unlikely that both shutters are the exact same thickness. When replacing a Copal with a Copal you could try it, but you probably need to get it re-shimmed if you change shutter type.

You can always test the performance ofcourse, it just might work, but I would factor in a trip to the factory. Shouldn't be too expensive, but might take a while.