The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone replacement batteries (P+ series)

robdeszan

Hello All,

Could anyone recommend a tested 3rd party battery for Phaseone P+ series backs? 'I've found reputable brands such as Hahnel that are slightly cheaper (around £40 2600mAh) vs £60 (3600mAh from phase one) so not much of a difference. But then there are ones you could get on Amazon for anywhere between £11 to £16 (2300 - 2600mAh) which offers a considerable saving.

Has anyone had a chance to try the cheaper options?

Best,
Pat

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Capture Integration has some third party batteries which they have tested extensively. I have a couple of them, no issues.

Some third party batteries swell or have other issues and get stuck in the camera or back.

aztwang

Hello All,

Could anyone recommend a tested 3rd party battery for Phaseone P+ series backs? 'I've found reputable brands such as Hahnel that are slightly cheaper (around £40 2600mAh) vs £60 (3600mAh from phase one) so not much of a difference. But then there are ones you could get on Amazon for anywhere between £11 to £16 (2300 - 2600mAh) which offers a considerable saving.

Has anyone had a chance to try the cheaper options?

Best,
Pat
I believe P1 XF system highly recommends min of 3400mah for stability....FWIW

kdphotography

The Phase P/P+ series of MFDBs are less finicky when it comes to batteries. I've used Lenmar and Pearstone batteries without issue on the old P series of MFDBs. As you get into more recent generation MFDBs, it is recommended to use the more current battery offerings. The 3rd Party batteries from Capture Integration are 3400mah and are excellent. I have used these in the IQ180 and in the IQ3 100MP without issue. They perform well and simply last. Considering their relatively low cost, I wouldn't use any other 3rd Party battery for Phase MFDBs.

With the P series MFDBs and the older Phase-Mamiya AF/DF cameras, low power can cause issues with the camera system. You're better off using the new 3400 mah batteries in your P series MFDB. This level of battery power was not previously available with the old P series. I'd take advantage of the better batteries and relatively low cost from Capture Integration. If you were in the US---I've got a handful of the older batteries free for the taking. They work---but I've also got plenty of the new batteries!

Ken

PabloR

do you know if there is a "clock internal battery" on the P series.

is a hell in XXI century being changing data eeeevery time you want to use the back.

my computer is full of pics out of schedule..

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
do you know if there is a "clock internal battery.
Yes (technically it is a capacitor not a battery, but the effect is the same). Most P/P+ backs were made between 2004 and 2010, so are 6 to 12 years old. As some units age the capacitor no longer functions properly. The capacitor can be replaced with a service check via your dealer for free if under warranty, but is probably not worth the flat-fee repair cost if out of warranty as the only issue a worn-capacitor costs is the lack of clock-persistence.

If the back has not been used frequently then it may be that the capacitor simply needs a top-up... leave it plugged in to firewire for several hours and see if a restart still requires resetting the clock.

Doug

PabloR

Thank you Doug!

now I have recently sell one P25, and now Im looking for a newer one.

That information you told me is gold! there is no info in the web about.

Can you believe me if I told you, that I have asked directly to a commercial of P1 in my country, and he didnt hear nothing about that issue???

Well. Thank you again for your answer.

regards
P.

robdeszan

Good info coming out of this thread, great!

Since the consensus seems o be that P+ backs are less finicky about batteries I have ordered some BP 916 Hahnel batteries (HL-916HP, 2600mAh, 7.2V, 18.7Wh). They were half the price of the slightly older version of phase one battery here in the UK (£29.99 vs £60). It is a reputable brand, bought from a local photo retailer with 2 years warranty etc. Did not want to risk ordering the cheap stuff from ebay or amazon. We'll see how that goes.

I will update the thread once I test them.

Thanks,
Pat