The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can't apply an LCC

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Sorry for posting this here as it's more to do with post processing, but guessing that this is the best forum where there are users of the LCC function of C1 with tech cameras.

I have a shot taken with my 28mm lens on my arca. I forgot to take an LCC, but have a LCC from the day before. when I try to apply it, nothing happens to the image ... no change and nothing is fixed. I also have a stock LCC for this lens as a preset, same problem. If I apply it, nothing happens (and C1 doesn't list a LCC profile in the LCC tool)

I'm pretty baffled why it would refuse to apply the LCC to this one file. It's a standard .IIQ file, and some images taken a few minutes later with my 70mm and the corresponding LCC's apply just fine.

Any thoughts?

dchew

Wayne,
Weird. My only thought would be to start over; find the original raw file for that LCC, re-import it (or copy/rename it and then import), and recreate the LCC of that file. Then try to apply it.

Dave

Don Libby

Wayne, I agree with Dave on this. I remember a couple of times where I had forgotten to shoot an LCC and found it a simple matter of shooting one again. What really has me stumped is why C1 won't let you work with one you already have. I used to have a library full of LCCs that I could use however that was years ago and several versions. Have you done the latest update before this happened?

Sounds like a band aid approach but it sounds like you'll need to reshoot the LCC.

ejpeiker

I have found that when I bring an LCC shot into a new folder, the folder that the image I want to apply it to is in, the "LCC-ness" of that file is lost. So you have to first recreate the LCC by right clicking on it and selecting Create LCC. Now you should be able to apply it to the new image. I do this all the time from a library of LCC's and the LCC is then applied like it should be. hope this helps solve your problem.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
thanks for the thoughts.

the original raws are both inside the same folder. I made a finder copy of the LCC from the previous days shoot into the folder. then in C1 I followed the normal procedure by processing the LCC file then tried to apply it to the original raw. As I mentioned, shots taken with another lens and with a LCC taken at the same time in the same folder work just fine. The LCC file also works fine in the other folder where I copied it from. Additionally a preset LCC won't apply either. I assume their is some kind of issue with the original raw file, although I can't think of what would be the problem.

I don't think shooting another LCC would help, but can't even try that as the original shot was with the IQ180 and I no longer have that back.

Last night I converted the files to DNG in Lightroom and used Lightrooms Flat Field plugin to apply the LCC. That did work. Probably won't lose anything, as the file is pretty straight forward and LR actually did a better job pulling the highlights down (sometimes I just don't feel C1's HDR sliders work like they should, highlights seem too restrictive and shadows seem to affect midtones as much as shadows?)

ejpeiker

thanks for the thoughts.

the original raws are both inside the same folder. I made a finder copy of the LCC from the previous days shoot into the folder. then in C1 I followed the normal procedure by processing the LCC file then tried to apply it to the original raw. As I mentioned, shots taken with another lens and with a LCC taken at the same time in the same folder work just fine. The LCC file also works fine in the other folder where I copied it from. Additionally a preset LCC won't apply either. I assume their is some kind of issue with the original raw file, although I can't think of what would be the problem.
Wow that is strange I do exactly that procedure several times per week on IR images and it has never not worked. It would be blatantly obvious if it weren't working on my IR stuff :)

Aviv1887

Wow that is strange I do exactly that procedure several times per week on IR images and it has never not worked. It would be blatantly obvious if it weren't working on my IR stuff :)
I've had problems like that in the past. Try to change the name of the actual LCC file and then reprocess the LCC. Just to check, this is the same DB, same lens correct? I believe you can't use LCC files from other DB's even if it's the same type.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There's a bug in the current version of C1 that can sometimes manifest when you try to generate an LCC from a file with a space in the file name. Maybe related?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I think I may have discovered my issue. Tried several suggestions (thanks), then I thought i would I would take a look at the metadata. I was wondering if I had accidentally used the compressed .IIQ format and maybe that made a difference .... and discovered something else.

I ordered a XF and IQ3 80 camera setup toward the end of last year. It all shipped and then a few days later the IQ3 100 was announced. My dealer arranged to give me the trade up from the original 180, but let me keep the 380 until the 3100 showed up, so there is a few months of shots with the IQ3 80. So my LCC file was taken with an IQ180, which it looks like won't work with the image from the IQ3 80 file. This is the only time I used my 28mm on my tech camera with the IQ3 80 (having too much fun with the XF and the 40-80LS), so I don't have a LCC taken with that lens and that back.

The dng/flat field option in LR did a decent job. Had some issues (obviously the data wasn't real valid, but the color cast were similar) I was able to fix them with some adjustment brushes and some cropping of the edges on areas that were just not repairable. So image salvaged to get a decent result. Caught some cool sunrise light on the cliffs in the distance at Horseshoe Bend. thought I'd throw the image on to sort of finish this thread. Thanks for all the advice, sorry it was something I should have picked up on sooner myself.

Arca rm3di, Rodenstock 28mm with CF, 1.5 sec at f/11, ISO 50

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Makes sense that C1 barfs on applying LCC creates on a different camera to images taken elsewhere. Good to know though. I wonder how strict this is though. IQ380 has a different sensor to IQ180/29"80. I wonder if those LCCs are interchangeable.

ejpeiker

So glad you were able to figure it out - I was worried that my workflow would suddenly break :)
Very nice photo!