The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

jrp

Well I wish them luck, as the size and handling of the system is very attractive. However, the shooting envelope -- to use a Ming Thein term -- of the new system is still quite limited. Hard to judge, after only a brief play, but my impression is that the system would be fine for amateur use, but the build quality of the lenses and buttons did not suggest to me a system that would survive day-in, day-out usage. (This is fine by me, as I don't thrash my gear, and it presumably lowers the weight, which is important for me.)

The Leica SL, another recent arrival, had 24-280 covered fairly quickly with a couple of zooms and offered faster lenses from the M range to hit the ground moving forward at a noticeable pace. They are, however, taking their time to introduce new lenses -- the 50mm Summilux is going to be at least 3m late, and other lenses will take around a year to materialise.

The firmware that I tried felt immature. Perhaps they have bright firmware programmers (unlike Leica, who although they are clearly putting a bit of resource behind firmware development, it is still not really nearly enough, IMHO) and will surprise us on 15 Dec, but I wouldn't bet my wife on it.

masud

I just checked B&H Photo website.. up to yesterday it would appear "Ship time: December 1st" but now it has change in to "Ship time:Not available"
I hope this is not a sign of a further delay :(
Or could it be because the whole shipment from Hasselblad to B&H is now spoken for (and any new preorders would be filled from the next shipment)? Fingers crossed to see what happens on Thursday.

etto72

This is what I also hope for!!!!
I went back watching the video interview with Perry Oosting and while he seemed to be really sorry
for the delay of the initial delivery date (due to the structural change of the production facility to cope with much higher volumes than were initially anticipated)
he clearly state that delivery to retail is for end of November beginning of December
My guess and hope is that it wouldn't gamble again with the date....

Or could it be because the whole shipment from Hasselblad to B&H is now spoken for (and any new preorders would be filled from the next shipment)? Fingers crossed to see what happens on Thursday.

bab

The spoken word to dealers is that Thursday is the DAY! Calls have gone out to customers to expect arrival of product.

Yesterday I had in my hands a demo unit (FW still in beta) for a couple of hours. My dealer told me he expects few pieces for delivery early next month.

V

Vivek

Joe, "Back ordered" would imply that they had some ordered items delivered to them and they are all sold out.

ddanois

I know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's bizarre that no word has come from Hasselblad directly. Peter acknowledged that Hasselblad received more orders for the X1D in the first 10 days than they expected for the entire year so wouldn't you think that would compel some sort of firm communication to all those that pre-ordered?

This isn't a B&H issue...or an issue with any other dealer for that matter...this is a Hasselblad communications problem, pure and simple.

D&A

This is pure speculation on my part, but I don't think the delay has anything to do with greater demand for the camera than expected...otherwise some regular production cameras would already have been out there already. What I think it might be is two fold. Hasselblad knew Fuji's camera was coming down the pike and had to quickly up their announcement of the X1D as well as its release date.

Secondly in their haste and knowing they may be rushing things a bit, the release of demo units to all those Joe named, may be a way to get feedback of potential issues these demo (beta?) cameras might have and to fix those issues that can be addressed through firmware and some hardware changes.

Ultimately I believe it will be a better more finished product when eventually released.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ddanois

This is pure speculation on my part, but I don't think the delay has anything to do with greater demand for the camera than expected...otherwise regular production cameras would already have been out there already. What I think it might be is two fold. Hasselblad knew Fuji's camera was coming down the pike and had to quickly up their announcement of the X1D as well as its release date.

Secondly in their haste and knowing they may be rushing things a bit, the release of demo units to all those Joe named, may be a way to get feedback of potential issues these demo (beta?) cameras might have and to fix those issues that can be addressed through firmware and some hardware changes.

Ultimately I believe it will be a better more finished oroduct when eventually released.

Dave (D&A)
I certainly hope so! I was very prepared to accept a buggy product with the first launch date but with nearly a 6 month delay, they had better deliver a rock solid platform or they will undermine confidence for the whole system development. I guess I had expected more from Hasselblad.

In any event, time to take a break from the roller coaster. Hell...since I have to wait anyway, I put my name on the list for the Fuji. Maybe it'll come sooner! :)

Godfrey

I know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's bizarre that no word has come from Hasselblad directly. Peter acknowledged that Hasselblad received more orders for the X1D in the first 10 days than they expected for the entire year so wouldn't you think that would compel some sort of firm communication to all those that pre-ordered?

This isn't a B&H issue...or an issue with any other dealer for that matter...this is a Hasselblad communications problem, pure and simple.
Hasselblad sees the orders from distributors, who see them from dealers, who place them on behalf of customers. How should Hasselblad respond to the customers, probably only some of whom are connected on websites and forums like this? Sending a message through the distributor chain to the dealers results in the usual chaos where one dealer hears one thing, another hears something else, etc, and then they make errors in how they relay the information as well. Tech reps make similar errors, depending on whom they were listening too (and how hard they listened...). And so forth.

I play this game a different way. If I truly, really, know I desperately want a new product at the moment of its release, I call my friendly dealer immediately, place an order, and then sit back and wait. I don't expect any further communication until the dealer calls me and says, "Hey! I have your camera! I'm shipping it now, expect it on such-and-such date." If an extraordinary time passes before I get that call, I call the dealer and ask if he's heard anything about shipments. Usually, he'll do diligence and just report back, "No word yet. Stay tuned..."

Meanwhile, I review the internet and manufacturer sites, study the manual if it's appeared, have a giggle listening to the Steve Huff review, etc. If I get anxious, I sip a glass of scotch and fall asleep.

Life's too short for anxiety over whether a new camera is going to ship tomorrow, next week, or next year. :angel: I've got plenty of great equipment to work with already. I just need to get out and use it.

G