The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

ddanois

They could use the same process they used when they wanted to tell the world about the camera..."A Press Release"! Simple and clear communication from the source to the customer.

DSemick

Hello All!

After speaking with my Rep today about delivery dates, he's said that end user units should be hitting the US the week of December 12th. I know the firmware in my demo camera has come a long way from when I initially received it.

I suspect they are fine tuning the FW and working out some of the bugs.

Denny

hcubell

They could use the same process they used when they wanted to tell the world about the camera..."A Press Release"! Simple and clear communication from the source to the customer.
It seems obvious to me that Hasselblad really doesn't know the exact date when they will be able to release the X1Ds, and they have decided that saying nothing is better than a self-imposed deadline that they might not meet. As soon as they know the X1D is ready, the cameras will start flying out the door. I expect that they have many already built and sitting in Sweden, just waiting for the final firmware. Moreover, Hasselblad knows that delays in shipping would be quickly forgotten; poor reviews from the initial batch of cameras would endure. And make no mistake, there are a lot of Hasselblad haters out there just waiting to pounce.

Godfrey

And what are they going to say?

"Hey, you people. We know you're waiting. We're late on our schedule and trying to catch up. See ya next week, maybe we'll have something for you!"

We know early-production or production-verification demo systems have arrived at dealerships. That means they're getting close to the product release.

G

etto72

It seems obvious to me that Hasselblad really doesn't know the exact date when they will be able to release the X1Ds, and they have decided that saying nothing is better than a self-imposed deadline that they might not meet. As soon as they know the X1D is ready, the cameras will start flying out the door. I expect that they have many already built and sitting in Sweden, just waiting for the final firmware. Moreover, Hasselblad knows that delays in shipping would be quickly forgotten; poor reviews from the initial batch of cameras would endure. And make no mistake, there are a lot of Hasselblad haters out there just waiting to pounce.
I still hope that is just a question of some days or a week, if not I don't get why the CEO a month ago said "end of November- beginning of December"
and yes if there is a further delay they should have the decency to announce it and not letting people that are going to spend and invest lots money just waiting in the dark

kscott

And what are they going to say?

"Hey, you people. We know you're waiting. We're late on our schedule and trying to catch up. See ya next week, maybe we'll have something for you!"

We know early-production or production-verification demo systems have arrived at dealerships. That means they're getting close to the product release.

G
Perhaps they could try "We feel honored and truly fortunate to have so many enthusiastic customers pre-order the X1D. We are in love with this camera and know that you all will love it too. We're deeply sorry that we haven't been able to get it into your hands sooner. Putting the final touches on the firmware so that we can deliver you a truly amazing product has taken longer than we expected, and the last thing that we want to do is push out something that doesn't meet the high expectations that we and our customers have of a Hasselblad camera. We feel like we have a clearer understanding of the work remaining to be done, and we're going to make sure that we have the first production units in the hands of customers who have placed a pre-order by MM/DD/YYYY. We really appreciate your patience and support, and are looking forward to seeing the great work that you all will make with the X1D."

ddanois

Perhaps they could try "We feel honored and truly fortunate to have so many enthusiastic customers pre-order the X1D. We are in love with this camera and know that you all will love it too. We're deeply sorry that we haven't been able to get it into your hands sooner. Putting the final touches on the firmware so that we can deliver you a truly amazing product has taken longer than we expected, and the last thing that we want to do is push out something that doesn't meet the high expectations that we and our customers have of a Hasselblad camera. We feel like we have a clearer understanding of the work remaining to be done, and we're going to make sure that we have the first production units in the hands of customers who have placed a pre-order by MM/DD/YYYY. We really appreciate your patience and support, and are looking forward to seeing the great work that you all will make with the X1D."
Thank you...Was that so hard? 😄

Godfrey

... And how many times would you like to receive this love note? :toocool:

I'm sorry, stuff like that makes my skin crawl. I'm not on intimate terms with camera corporations, I don't need cozy little apologies or excuses for them being late. Unless they have specific things to tell me, like: "We're terribly sorry, but the first 10000 body castings have proven to be wrong due to an error in the die, so we're likely to be running about seven months late on your product. If you choose not to wait, please contact your dealer for a refund of your order deposit."

Manufacturers rarely know who, specifically, placed orders other than their distributors, and likely wouldn't know precisely how many customers placed an order by what date either ... that's information that the individual dealers have, but usually not the distributors. Dealers might be ordering two or three units for stock plus whatever specific customer orders.

It seems your expectations and mine are waaaay different. Such it is.

G

D&A

It wouldn't hurt for them to add " We so value our loyal customers and their patience, that we are including a complementary set of three lenses for the X1D for all those who have preordered" :)

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

It wouldn't hurt for them to add " We so value our loyal customers and their patience, that we are including a complementary set of three lenses for the X1D for all those who have preordered" :)

Dave (D&A)
Yeah! :ROTFL:

G

kscott

... And how many times would you like to receive this love note? :toocool:

G
Zero. I would like for them to have either delivered their product when they said they would when they started accepting orders from resellers, or to have understood that their engineering task was beyond their ability to accurately forecast and not have thrown specific delivery dates out to resellers and customers. Failing those two tests of competence, a love note would be nice. ;)

Alas, if a love note was forthcoming, we'd have seen one by now. I'm certainly not expecting one. I have pretty minimal faith in human competence in general, so it could be the case that our expectations aren't waaaay different at all.

hcubell

Dave (D&A)
I ordered an SUV last Spring from a German manufacturer. Due to the earthquake in Japan, a key part for the NAV system for every SUV became backordered, so the delivery dates for all of the SUVs ordered within a certain time frame were delayed for 2-3 months. As a sign of appreciation, the manufacturer (1) issued a $500 gift certificate that could be used at a dealer to buy parts or SWAG and (2) issued a voucher for free scheduled maintenance for 2 years.
If Hasselblad is listening here, they should consider offering a discount voucher on X1D lenses to those customers that pre-ordered. It would earn them a lot of goodwill.

D&A

I ordered an SUV last Spring from a German manufacturer. Due to the earthquake in Japan, a key part for the NAV system for every SUV became backordered, so the delivery dates for all of the SUVs ordered within a certain time frame were delayed for 2-3 months. As a sign of appreciation, the manufacturer (1) issued a $500 gift certificate that could be used at a dealer to buy parts or SWAG and (2) issued a voucher for free scheduled maintenance for 2 years.
If Hasselblad is listening here, they should consider offering a discount voucher on X1D lenses to those customers that pre-ordered. It would earn them a lot of goodwill.
Of course my post above about them issuing free lenses was said tongue-in-cheek, but your suggestion is an excellent one and would go a long way in keeping good will between Hasselblad and their loyal customers.

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

The only issue I see in all this is that Hasselblad announced the camera a couple of months earlier than they probably should have, in retrospect. I don't see any problems with "competence" or whatever, just poor timing of the announcement. However, I also don't know precisely what drove them to make the announcement when they did ... they most likely had perfectly justifiable reasons to accept the risk that they couldn't make the delivery projection.

Rome wasn't built in a day; completing the development of a completely new camera system takes time and lots of intense work. Patience is all that's required.

Remember, the Pentax 645D was announced (or at least shown in sneak previews) two to four years before it finally appeared...

G

etto72

There is one thing that I don't get and maybe you guys can help me to understand

Why is B&H Photo the only store that has got the 45mm&90mm lenses on Stock??
Why not a single retail on line has the extra battery, the Adapter for XH Lens or even the Hasselblad Camera bag??\

just curious:confused:

bab

Which dealer did that information come from?
Seems like a camera body did show up for me from Hasselblad but alas not the X1d but the H6D 100c. I guess I'll make due with it for now, I already have a 50MP anyway. My sincere hope is that next Thursday Hasselblad makes everyone else happy!

etto72

Seems like a camera body did show up for me from Hasselblad but alas not the X1d but the H6D 100c. I guess I'll make due with it for now, I already have a 50MP anyway. My sincere hope is that next Thursday Hasselblad makes everyone else happy!
Why next Thursday?

etto72

This is the answer I got few minutes from my salesman at Adorama which is a great guy:

" just called the buyer. I was told. We don’t have sold date from the manufacturer yet. They keep moving the date back. The buyer will not give me a date until the manufacturer tells us a sold date of arrival. "But, I am hoping it’s a fast process. I will keep you posted if I hear anything more."

:scry::scry::scry:

MomentsForZen

I am reminded in part by the following quote ...

"Real Artists Ship ... An old saying at AppleComputer, attributed to Steve Jobs, meaning that while producing stuff that is cool, elegant, innovative, and InsanelyGreat is important, it is even more important to actually produce working software that can be delivered to users."

But returning to the situation with the X1D ...

As has been pointed out in this thread, the delays are not solely down to the overwhelming demand. If it was solely the extra demand, we would have seen SOME deliveries, not the zero deliveries to date.

The issue(s) must be more fundamental, impacting the delivery of ALL of the units. There is not a single unit that is ready to ship. I would love to know what is causing the delay.

No matter what is happening, there must be someone at Hasselblad who has an overview of what is happening, and would have an estimate (one that evolves over time) for when shipping will take place. That person should sit down with the communications department and work out a communication strategy. Some carefully crafted public statements (i.e., press releases) that fill the information vacuum would be part of the plan. An information vacuum will always be filled in the absence of the truth by negative guesses and conspiracy theories. Better to get this vacuum filled with the truth, no matter how unpalatable it may seem.

I must say in closing that I am still dismayed that Hasselblad are sending out units to sellers for the purpose of getting more orders. The priority should be to put units into the hands of existing customers who have placed orders until every single backorder has been filled. Plenty of time after that has been done for dealers to start selling even more cameras.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)