The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Since we don't really have anything better to do with our time I might as well give my 2 pence on the matter. Bear in mind I'm basically just making stuff up here which I think seems reasonable, but I have no real experience with manufacturing and retail. I do have plenty of experience with delivering software, but mostly on time, unlike Hasselblad.

I don't think it's unreasonable that you want to reach a certain stock level before you start shipping out your product, otherwise you will have to prioritize who to deliver to first and that might damage your relationship with your distributors.

Software can be really tricky, and I bet they are still working around the clock to improve the firmware and that's what has delayed them the most.

Before they start shipping I bet they want to give their ambassadors and reviewers time to pen some glowing reviews of the X1D.

:)

D&A

Isn't that supposed to be "2 cents", not "two pence"?..LOL.

As I previously mentioned, my personal belief is the delay is either a key component of the camera is in short supply in order to ramp up production and/or tweaks to the firmware is ongoing, especially when reveiving feedback from demo users and reviewers of Beta units. A telltale sign that not all is ready is it appears different demo units all have different firmware versions.

Nikon for years would release first units of a major camera release (like the original D2, D1x, D2), in drips and drabs...one or two units to each dealer for months. They quietly instructed dealers to put these cameras into the hands of pro's, so they would get feedback for serious issues and firmware updates needed, avoiding massive recalls of large number of early cameras if they had initially released large numbers instead.

Anyhow, if the delay goes on much longer, maybe instead of Hasselblad giving discount coupons for lenses for those who put in preorders for the X1D, maybe they instead could simply offer cost reduction coupons for purchase of a Fuji GFX, so those waiting would have something to shoot with in the meantime...Ouch! (just kidding).

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

BANKER1

First of all, none of us want a product that is not ready for prime time. And, Hasselblad doesn't want to fall flat on such a landmark camera. But, not giving any information at all begets a fundamental lack of confidence in their company. I waited nine months for the delivery of my H4D60 from the day I ordered it until I finally received it. I did not hear one word from my dealer or from Hasselblad, unless I contacted them, the entire time. What I did hear was basically, "You'll get it when you get it." Personally, I feel this blackout of information is unacceptable and rude. When customers invest multi-thousands of dollars with a company, that company has an absolute duty to keep them informed.

I understand they took their usual holiday MONTH off right in the middle of this. Given that, I doubt they are working day and night to complete the firmware for this camera. Being a Hasselblad user and fan for over four decades, it makes me sad to see them making the same mistakes over and over again. There must be a fundamental attitude within Hasselblad that makes them reluctant to have the faith in their customers to understand and accept delays that were unforeseen and are required to provide a first class product. Yes, I know there are Hasselblad haters out there just waiting to pounce on any bad news coming from Hasselblad. But, that will happen no matter what Hasselblad does. I do not think people are just impatient for their camera, they are frustrated with the lack of information and courtesy coming from Hasselblad

Greg

Hi guys,

We are very saddened to read this thread and we do understand your frustration. We very much apologise for the inconvenience. After its announcement, the X1D became a global success. Due to the very high amount of orders that followed, we had to make structural changes to our factory in Sweden to meet the demand and increase the number of units produced per day.

We have been shipping demo units since August and most of our partners have X1D available for hands-on experience, but ramping up end-user cameras took longer than we anticipated. On a positive note, we are starting to fulfil end-user orders as of this month.

We thank you for your patience and we hope that you accept our sincerest apologies.

// The Hasselblad Team

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi guys,

We are very saddened to read this thread and we do understand your frustration. We very much apologise for the inconvenience. After its announcement, the X1D became a global success. Due to the very high amount of orders that followed, we had to make structural changes to our factory in Sweden to meet the demand and increase the number of units produced per day.

We have been shipping demo units since August and most of our partners have X1D available for hands-on experience, but ramping up end-user cameras took longer than we anticipated. On a positive note, we are starting to fulfil end-user orders as of this month.

We thank you for your patience and we hope that you accept our sincerest apologies.

// The Hasselblad Team

Thanks for popping on and letting us know that - and it is good to know that you are watching and listening.

However: 'starting' and 'this month' leave you open to the fair criticism that you are managing us, rather than informing us. We were given a pretty firm date of last week in November to first week in December, whereas now, from your statement above, that appears to have slipped. Moreover, you could satisfy the terms of your new dates as given above by delivering a small number of units by the very end of December.

That wouldn't help me, for example: I've had two trips already where I expected to have the X1D and made do with other systems. I have another planned for the start of January 2017 and frankly, if you're not able to deliver before that starts I will cancel my order and make other arrangements for what to shoot.

I, and I know most of the others here, understand that these things take time. In which case you should have 'done a Fuji' or 'done an Oly' and said 'this is under development, we'll let you know when it is ready.' Instead, by permanently pushing delivery out by just long enough to make it seem churlish of a customer not to wait 'just a little longer' you have managed to keep us all engaged but irritated.

So: when, much more specifically, are you planning for end users to get their units in significant numbers? It really is only fair that you should let us know.

Tim

hcubell

Thanks for popping on and letting us know that - and it is good to know that you are watching and listening.

However: 'starting' and 'this month' leave you open to the fair criticism that you are managing us, rather than informing us. We were given a pretty firm date of last week in November to first week in December, whereas now, from your statement above, that appears to have slipped. Moreover, you could satisfy the terms of your new dates as given above by delivering a small number of units by the very end of December.

That wouldn't help me, for example: I've had two trips already where I expected to have the X1D and made do with other systems. I have another planned for the start of January 2017 and frankly, if you're not able to deliver before that starts I will cancel my order and make other arrangements for what to shoot.

I, and I know most of the others here, understand that these things take time. In which case you should have 'done a Fuji' or 'done an Oly' and said 'this is under development, we'll let you know when it is ready.' Instead, by permanently pushing delivery out by just long enough to make it seem churlish of a customer not to wait 'just a little longer' you have managed to keep us all engaged but irritated.

So: when, much more specifically, are you planning for end users to get their units in significant numbers? It really is only fair that you should let us know.

Tim
A statement along the lines of the following would be very helpful: "We are planning to start shipping units to end users in significant quantities by December 15, but given the significant backlog of orders, we will not be able to fill all of the open orders in the short term. However, we are working hard to ramp up production and will try to fill those open orders as quickly as we can."

D&A

A statement along the lines of the following would be very helpful: "We are planning to start shipping units to end users in significant quantities by December 15, but given the significant backlog of orders, we will not be able to fill all of the open orders in the short term. However, we are working hard to ramp up production and will try to fill those open orders as quickly as we can."
This is something along the lines I would have thought too. Although saying that they have released demo units (as though thats a start), has little to do with releasing production units.

Dave (D&S)

Last edited:

D&A

Tim wrote ->>>"So: when, much more specifically, are you planning for end users to get their units in significant numbers? It really is only fair that you should let us know."<<<

Tim, the visual I get when you're saying this statement is you as a long shoreman in the 1950's on the docks with a club in your hand and your henchmen right behind you...ala the movie "On the Waterfront" with Brando...LOL. Any truth to this? :)

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

If X1 D is a "global success" with only demo units, with actual production units would it become inter Stellar succes?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim wrote ->>>"So: when, much more specifically, are you planning for end users to get their units in significant numbers? It really is only fair that you should let us know."<<<

Tim, the visual I get when you're saying this statement is you as a long shoreman in the 1950's on the docks with a club in your hand and your henchmen right behind you...ala the movie "On the Waterfront" with Brando...LOL. Any truth to this? :)

Dave (D&A)
You wouldn't want to know the answer to that, would you now?

etto72

Hi guys,

Due to the very high amount of orders that followed, we had to make structural changes to our factory in Sweden to meet the demand and increase the number of units produced per day.

We have been shipping demo units since August and most of our partners have X1D available for hands-on experience, but ramping up end-user cameras took longer than we anticipated.
// The Hasselblad Team
Thanks for speaking out
Unfortunately what you just said are the exact words of your CEO Perry Oosting
on October 22nd, where he clearly state end of November beginning of December !
https://luminous-landscape.com/catching-perry-oosting-hasselblad-ceo-interview-ll-kevin-raber/

Instead of getting Hasselblad apologies it would be tremendously helpful to know wha to expect or not to
For instance when are you shipping retail unit to the big USA store (Adorama,B&H Photo)
On my personal side I have some major trip coming up and I would like to plan what to do!

Thanks for your understanding!

algrove

Having lived and worked in Europe for many years, I would not be surprised that around 19 December the factory will close until the 2017 New Year.

BANKER1

Come on guys. Give the guy a break. No wonder they are reluctant to give us any information, if we jump on him when he is being very courteous and apologetic. I thank him for his response, and it satisfies me for the time being.

Greg

Godfrey

You've constructed their response for them. Y'all do that so well, there's really no need for them to do it, eh? :toocool:

G

bab

I think the answer is very clear they are going to ship end user product this month, give them till the 15th to produce. And hopefully a firmware update by the 20th would also be nice?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
There are 12 Hasselblads on the surface of the moon.

Maybe it would be quicker to get one of those. (1st come, 1st served);)

My Mola Demi beauty dish arrived today. All I need now is my X1D and I'm pretty much set for fame and success as a fashion photographer. I was walking around with my X-Pro2 all morning taking photos around South Bank and I kept thinking I wish it had a grip like the X1D.

Better go and write Santa a letter so he can send Hasselblad some elves to speed things along :)