The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

hcubell

I trust that Hasselblad is following this thread with a mix of emotions. Sheer joy that so many photographers care about their product. Fear and uncertainty and frustration about so many of those very same customers being angry about the delays in deliveries. The best thing they can do at this point is hand deliver the first X1Ds to Joe Colson and Tim Ashley. There are no more deserving recipients in my mind.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I trust that Hasselblad is following this thread with a mix of emotions. Sheer joy that so many photographers care about their product. Fear and uncertainty and frustration about so many of those very same customers being angry about the delays in deliveries. The best thing they can do at this point is hand deliver the first X1Ds to Joe Colson and Tim Ashley. There are no more deserving recipients in my mind.
Now I know who the REAL Santa is.... ;-)

Of course, I'll be writing a very thorough review of the camera when I've had it for long enough to form a view. Whether that will help my case or not is unclear :)

algrove

Tim
I remember some saying that reviews do not matter to them. However, I read your reviews with interest and perhaps they will reconsider ONCE the camera arrives your doorstep.

algrove

Howard, overall that's very good news and confirms what Peter Lorber ("PedroL") has been reporting from his active use of a demo camera (now loaded with the latest firmware).

My bit of bad news is that I'll have to return the two XCD lenses to B&H this week. They cannont extend the return period beyond December 30 and I may not have a camera by then. Oh well, I'll re-order when I have a camera in hand.

Thanks for your reports.

Joe
Joe
Perhaps this does not apply to you, but B&H has extended their return policy during the holidays out to either 1/31/17 or end of February, 2017.

ddanois

Howard, overall that's very good news and confirms what Peter Lorber ("PedroL") has been reporting from his active use of a demo camera (now loaded with the latest firmware).

My bit of bad news is that I'll have to return the two XCD lenses to B&H this week. They cannont extend the return period beyond December 30 and I may not have a camera by then. Oh well, I'll re-order when I have a camera in hand.

Thanks for your reports.

Joe
I feel your pain Joe! Just hung up with the B&H customer service manager who told me that they have pressed Hasselblad hard due to the large amount of calls they have been receiving about X1D pre-orders. According to this manager, Hasselblad notified them on Dec 13th that the best estimate for them to receive ANY cameras was mid-Feb 2017. Hard to believe given how large a distributor they are but such is life.

I had better call B&H to arrange my lens return as well. The Grinch definitely stole Christmas this year.

Derek

tashley

Subscriber Member
I feel your pain Joe! Just hung up with the B&H customer service manager who told me that they have pressed Hasselblad hard due to the large amount of calls they have been receiving about X1D pre-orders. According to this manager, Hasselblad notified them on Dec 13th that the best estimate for them to receive ANY cameras was mid-Feb 2017. Hard to believe given how large a distributor they are but such is life.

I had better call B&H to arrange my lens return as well. The Grinch definitely stole Christmas this year.

Derek
I think this gives credibility to the suspicion that many of us had when Hasselblad said earlier in this thread that they would start to deliver this year. That seems to have meant that a small number of units would be shipped only. I know many of us had a strong view that this was the case, but it is disappointing anyway. The trouble now is that the January that my dealer was told by Hassy recently holds no credibility at all and neither does the February that B&H have been told.

It'll arrive when it's ready, there's nothing we can do, in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, but IMHO Hassy are handling this in a way that is veering rapidly from amateurish to damaging.

D&A

Tim wrote>>>"Of course, I'll be writing a very thorough review of the camera when I've had it for long enough to form a view. Whether that will help my case or not is unclear :)"<<<

Tim, if you change part of that statement above to read "I'll be writing a very thorough UNEQUIVOCAL GLOWING REVIEW of the camera".....
I bet it will most certainly help your case :).

With regards to B&H, even with the shear size of their distributorship and buying power with many companies, I've noticed with some very highly anticipated cameras and lenses, some smaller specialized dealers sometimes get said products stock and are able to deliver to pre order customers up to a month or more in advance of B&H. I don't recall for the moment what products they were, but this happened a few times not all that long ago. Who knows, maybe rewarding loyality to some of these dealers?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ddanois

I think this gives credibility to the suspicion that many of us had when Hasselblad said earlier in this thread that they would start to deliver this year. That seems to have meant that a small number of units would be shipped only. I know many of us had a strong view that this was the case, but it is disappointing anyway. The trouble now is that the January that my dealer was told by Hassy recently holds no credibility at all and neither does the February that B&H have been told.

It'll arrive when it's ready, there's nothing we can do, in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, but IMHO Hassy are handling this in a way that is veering rapidly from amateurish to damaging.
I think you're being extremely kind...

Fair to say at this point that the previous shipping statements from Hasselblad, and the interview with Perry on LL, was meant to do damage control and not to communicate an honest expectation to customers. Really bad form on their part regardless of the circumstances.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think you're being extremely kind...

Fair to say at this point that the previous shipping statements from Hasselblad, and the interview with Perry on LL, was meant to do damage control and not to communicate an honest expectation to customers. Really bad form on their part regardless of the circumstances.
That's what I meant. I was being uncharacteristically diplomatic...

D&A

That's what I meant. I was being uncharacteristically diplomatic...
I cannot be certain but as I previously expressed, I was both surprised and somewhat dismayed at Hasselblad in releasing demo units to dealers and for the public to test drive/rent that were clearly an unfinished product that was both buggy and lacking some very important key operational features in order to make an accurate assessment of the camera.

It was just very recently that the latest firmware was distributed that addressed these very issues. All this is clearly not like Hasselblad, and my impression both then and now was that they were buying time with this kind of premature demo camera release as opposed to simply making straight forward statements as to current state of development and delivery times.

That hopefully shouldn't diminish the enthsiasm for the substantial potential of this camera and system.

Dave (D&A)

Hey, what about me???!!! I was being patient, but I can cry for Santa... or Hanukkah Harry!!! :ROTFL: I already bought my "used" 45 lens from
B&H...

iiiNelson

That sorta blows for Hasselblad. Mid-February delivery puts Hasselblad firmly within the impending Fuji GFX 50S release window. Seems like the 6 month headstart will wither away and then Hasselblad would have a real "street fight" to worry about with Fuji if they actually make their release dates and roadmap targets... Unless one REALLY wants leaf shutters.

I guess the real winners are the consumers but at this point it may be diminishing returns for H. May a functional, yet incomplete, camera would be a better decision if they'd continually update and improve like Fuji does for their X-series products so that they're in the hands of customers before Christmas/Holiday travel.

JeRuFo

This is why I have stepped off this thread. Keith I'll be in touch direct.
Sorry, that was not directed at you, but at 'Hasselblad official'. It just looks a little strange that likes appear almost daily from them on positive posts about Hasselblad or the camera, but direct and quite simple questions about battery life and if customer cameras actually left the factory yet aren't answered at all. Plus, why not bring positive news yourself, like the new firmware which seems to address almost all of the concerns people had. I think a lot of the nonsense on this thread could have been prevented with just a little more dialogue. Although I must admit that the tone of this thread was questionable from the start.

Again, this was nothing against you, you have worked hard with what you got from Hasselblad on this thread.

JohnBrew

The B&H report may be true for them. I have on two occasions found a newly released camera which B&H had on back order from specific dealers of the brand - Leica M8 and Nikon D700. Admittedly those two releases were quite some time ago...but I would put my money on the Hasselblad dealers.

D&A

The B&H report may be true for them. I have on two occasions found a newly released camera which B&H had on back order from specific dealers of the brand - Leica M8 and Nikon D700. Admittedly those two releases were quite some time ago...but I would put my money on the Hasselblad dealers.
Thats exactly what I wrote (a few posts above) and have experienced too. It was even with more recent equipment that was backordered at B&H when deliveries/production had just begun but was being delivered at select dealers.

I've also seen it where certain manufacturers instead of releasing certain new highly sort after models in drips and drabs, accumilates a sufficent quantity to begin initial deliveries.

Dave (D&A)

algrove

Thats exactly what I wrote (a few posts above) and have experienced too. It was even with more recent equipment that was backordered at B&H when deliveries/production had just begun but was being delivered at select dealers.

I've also seen it where certain manufacturers instead of releasing certain new highly sort after models in drips and drabs, accumilates a sufficent quantity to begin initial deliveries.

Dave (D&A)
Good points Dave. This actually happened to me with the recent XT2 release. Got one unit from Popflash about 3-4 weeks before the same came from B&H.