The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

ddanois

Early next year ends at the end of June right? :D
What's ironic is that the 30mm was supposed to be a follow on lens that shipped later than the camera and the two launch lenses...
EXACTLY...I feel like we've all fallen down the rabbit hole and down is now up :rolleyes:.

This will be the first time in nearly 30 years of photography that I will have seen a "complete" lens line ship to customers before the camera body. Remarkable!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Has anyone any certain evidence that any end-user anywhere at all has yet received a single unit? Or was all that stuff on the 12th December yet another attempt at managing the situation?

I've lusted after a Hasselblad since I was a teenager but am really starting to think that the brand has now gone from my 'most wanted' to my 'least trusted' mental filing box.

D&A

Has anyone any certain evidence that any end-user anywhere at all has yet received a single unit? Or was all that stuff on the 12th December yet another attempt at managing the situation?

I've lusted after a Hasselblad since I was a teenager but am really starting to think that the brand has now gone from my 'most wanted' to my 'least trusted' mental filing box.
Earlier posts suggested at least two were delivered...in Gothenburg and in Istanbul. Wasn't Joe supposed to be on his way? LOL!

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi,

Goecker is a well known professional dealer in Scandinavia. So it is for real…

Could be that Hasselblad are real gentlemen and have a "ladies first" policy?

Best regards
Erik
My understanding is that she's a dealer*. So what we're on the track of is a real, substantiated example of an end-user (i.e. not a dealer and not some form of reviewer or ambassador) - someone who placed an order like the rest of us - taking delivery of a shipping version unit. I'd be very curious. I heard the rumour about the Istanbul customer but saw no evidence... and I find it hard to believe that put of all the forums that we all know about, not one participant has received a copy if copies have shipped. Assuming, as I think is reasonably safe to assume, that any forum member who received one would let other people know, like, instantly....

* and here's one of her units, I suspect, being used for an overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1tyQO2Xec

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Just as a reflection, it would be more proper to compare the X1D with a Sony A7rII, a Fuji GFX or even a Leica M, all those are 'sans mirror'.

I am glad that Hasselblad took the bold step to release a mirrorless camera. On the other hand the delivery schedule makes a bland impression.

I can share your opinion on deliveries to ambassadors. I don't think that unbiased reviewers have same access to pre production samples.

That said, I have little doubts it will be an excellent camera, after all, it is an excellent sensor from Sony and excellent lenses, so if you don't f–––-p to much it would produce an excellent system…

Best regards
Erik

My understanding is that she's a dealer*. So what we're on the track of is a real, substantiated example of an end-user (i.e. not a dealer and not some form of reviewer or ambassador) - someone who placed an order like the rest of us - taking delivery of a shipping version unit. I'd be very curious. I heard the rumour about the Istanbul customer but saw no evidence... and I find it hard to believe that put of all the forums that we all know about, not one participant has received a copy if copies have shipped. Assuming, as I think is reasonably safe to assume, that any forum member who received one would let other people know, like, instantly....

* and here's one of her units, I suspect, being used for an overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1tyQO2Xec

Godfrey

It took me 35 years to acquire my first Hasselblad (an SWC903). I sold it in 2004, along with the 500CM, to fund other equipment that I needed, but missed it. I bought back in ('78 SWC, '78 500CM + lenses) a couple of years ago. I won't let go of these cameras again.

Hasselblads are worth waiting for. I am happy to wait for the X1D. Whether I acquire one before or after the CFV-50c is the only question. :angel:

G

tashley

Subscriber Member
It took me 35 years to acquire my first Hasselblad (an SWC903). I sold it in 2004, along with the 500CM, to fund other equipment that I needed, but missed it. I bought back in ('78 SWC, '78 500CM + lenses) a couple of years ago. I won't let go of these cameras again.

Hasselblads are worth waiting for. I am happy to wait for the X1D. Whether I acquire one before or after the CFV-50c is the only question. :angel:

G
Interesting. I blew my first chance, because when I first decided to go MF I headed straight for Hassy but got diverted by the dealer to Phase. So Hassy is the last of the 'prestige' brand cameras I haven't owned at some point or other and I was rather looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll be great when it arrives but I just have this niggly feeling that they might have bitten off more than they can chew, a behaviour which is typical of old brands that fall into the hands of private equity interests.

I've been mulling this over Christmas and I think I'm relatively unbiased in that I'm a wannabe Hassy fan and certainly not a Hassy basher but the stock argument to be patient at the moment is that firmware takes time. I'd agree, if they'd never built a digital camera before - but they have, and so they should have had a better handle on that factor. As for the gearing up production story, well, maybe. But there is no escaping my sense that here is a brand I *want* to trust but that every step of the process so far has inclined me to trust them less rather than more. Now that might not really matter - it may be that after eventual delivery my experience is wonderful - but in my experience, companies that don't communicate honestly when it comes to one area of their activities tend not to communicate honestly when it comes to others, such as acknowledging faults or handling repairs in a timely manner etc.

We'll see. I wish you the best with the CVF-50!

She is a customer of Goecker as far as I understand it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOXQX7lhOJX/?hl=en&taken-by=ulrika_g_

That's her thanking someone at Goecker for delivering it to her.

Ulrika G is a photographer http://www.ulrikag.se not a dealer.

KeithL

I used Hasselblad cameras bolted to a tripod for paid and personal work for more years than I care to remember. Loved every minute. When the balance of my work changed some 3 years ago I switched to Leica M for the system's hand holding qualities. What sweet irony then if I return to the fold for Hasselblad's hand holding qualities. Time will tell.

I've never been an early adopter, never saw the point and could never take the risk. With that in mind I do hope Hasselblad eventually deliver a quality medium format mirrorless system.

ddanois

Well...the 30mm did, in fact, arrive this afternoon. Just one critical box missing from the set...:banghead:

Another kicker...the 30mm isn't even listed on the Hasselblad website as a product that can be registered to secure the extended warranty offer.

Godfrey

Interesting. I blew my first chance, because when I first decided to go MF I headed straight for Hassy but got diverted by the dealer to Phase. So Hassy is the last of the 'prestige' brand cameras I haven't owned at some point or other and I was rather looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll be great when it arrives but I just have this niggly feeling that they might have bitten off more than they can chew, a behaviour which is typical of old brands that fall into the hands of private equity interests.

I've been mulling this over Christmas and I think I'm relatively unbiased in that I'm a wannabe Hassy fan and certainly not a Hassy basher but the stock argument to be patient at the moment is that firmware takes time. I'd agree, if they'd never built a digital camera before - but they have, and so they should have had a better handle on that factor. As for the gearing up production story, well, maybe. But there is no escaping my sense that here is a brand I *want* to trust but that every step of the process so far has inclined me to trust them less rather than more. Now that might not really matter - it may be that after eventual delivery my experience is wonderful - but in my experience, companies that don't communicate honestly when it comes to one area of their activities tend not to communicate honestly when it comes to others, such as acknowledging faults or handling repairs in a timely manner etc.

We'll see. I wish you the best with the CVF-50!
I don't really expect constant communications from any company. Tell me you've received my order, let me know that the order is still active if shipment is taking a while, and let me know when whatever it might be has actually shipped. That's all that's necessary. I don't usually ask for specific delivery dates unless the item is a standard production item that happens to be out of stock for the moment. New products, ordered from an announcement, ... eh? I just let them work through whatever needs working through and go about my business until they ship.

So my 'trust' in Hasselblad is unaffected by whatever these 'delays' are. To me, they are simply doing what they need to do to produce a quality product. Just like Apple is more than two months late shipping the AirPods: I'm sure the end product will be great—when they ship, they ship.

The companies are probably much more anxious about it than I am. Their income depends on shipping the products, not mine.

Service is a different matter. When I send something in for service, I usually want to know that it was received, what they found, when the item will be returned (and a timely return date too), and when it ships back to me. I've only had to have one thing serviced by Hasselblad since I first bought in and it was a perfect experience. (I had the '78 SWC cleaned and adjusted recently by David Odess and that was a perfect experience too.)

My advice is that if you are of an impatient temperament, or need things delivered on a schedule, don't order new things at announcement time. Wait until they are released and shipping, until stocks in the distribution chain ensure timely shipment and arrival. You'll save yourself a lot of needless anxiety and stress that way.

Maybe when I sell the Leica M-P I'll order the CFV-50c or the X1D... I'm not in any rush, there's no need to be. Gosh knows I have tons of other stuff that can keep me busy in the meantime. :)

G

D&A

Well...the 30mm did, in fact, arrive this afternoon. Just one critical box missing from the set...:banghead:

Another kicker...the 30mm isn't even listed on the Hasselblad website as a product that can be registered to secure the extended warranty offer.
Are you sure its not one of those coffee mugs in the shape of a lens? 30mm refers to the size of the optional snap on lid :).

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

I used Hasselblad cameras bolted to a tripod for paid and personal work for more years than I care to remember. Loved every minute. When the balance of my work changed some 3 years ago I switched to Leica M for the system's hand holding qualities. What sweet irony then if I return to the fold for Hasselblad's hand holding qualities. Time will tell.

I've never been an early adopter, never saw the point and could never take the risk. With that in mind I do hope Hasselblad eventually deliver a quality medium format mirrorless system.
Keith:
I know you view the lack of a dedicated remote cable release as a deal breaker for you. I think Hasselblad will eventually come up with one that attaches to the USB connector. However, I am curious why you do not find the self timer feature on the X1D to be an acceptable alternative. I have never used the self timer on my H2, because the dedicated remote cable connector is very easy to use. However, I have a Sony A7RII, and the connector for the Sony remote is only accessible by opening a little door on the body, and the door is flimsy and hangs open while the cable is connected. Not easy, particularly with an L plate attached to the camera body. Moreover, things like rain and dust can more easily penetrate the body when that little window is open. As a result, I have gotten quite comfortable using the Sony self-timer for tripod work. It is very easy to access. Hopefully, the same will be true with the X1D.

Godfrey

Keith:
I know you view the lack of a dedicated remote cable release as a deal breaker for you. I think Hasselblad will eventually come up with one that attaches to the USB connector. However, I am curious why you do not find the self timer feature on the X1D to be an acceptable alternative. I have never used the self timer on my H2, because the dedicated remote cable connector is very easy to use. However, I have a Sony A7RII, and the connector for the Sony remote is only accessible by opening a little door on the body, and the door is flimsy and hangs open while the cable is connected. Not easy, particularly with an L plate attached to the camera body. Moreover, things like rain and dust can more easily penetrate the body when that little window is open. As a result, I have gotten quite comfortable using the Sony self-timer for tripod work. It is very easy to access. Hopefully, the same will be true with the X1D.
The problem with self timers is that you are not in control of the exact moment of exposure. I'd use the iPhone app instead.

G

KeithL

The problem with self timers is that you are not in control of the exact moment of exposure. I'd use the iPhone app instead.
^
What G said, except I also wouldn't use the phone as I'm often in very remote locations.

hcubell

G
I only use a cable release or the self timer to shoot landscapes or other stationary subjects on a tripod when the "decisive moment" is rarely critical. I tried the iPhone App for my Sony A7RII, and it was VERY buggy. Perhaps the Hassy version will be much better.