The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

D&A

Maybe I missed something. There's no IR sensor for a wireless remote release on the X1D?

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
So my 'trust' in Hasselblad is unaffected by whatever these 'delays' are. To me, they are simply doing what they need to do to produce a quality product. Just like Apple is more than two months late shipping the AirPods: I'm sure the end product will be great—when they ship, they ship.

G
You're right of course: this sort of delay can happen to any company and rushing stuff out is a worse course than making people wait. I type that on a touchbar MacBook pro with a battery life of circa 2 hours....

Godfrey

^
What G said, except I also wouldn't use the phone as I'm often in very remote locations.
Why would that matter? The apps I've been using on the iPhone (and iPad) connect to the camera via WiFi. The camera itself can either connect through an existing WiFi network or creates its own WiFi hotspot to connect to. The latter setup is what you use in the field.

G

Godfrey

I only use a cable release or the self timer to shoot landscapes or other stationary subjects on a tripod when the "decisive moment" is rarely critical. I tried the iPhone App for my Sony A7RII, and it was VERY buggy. Perhaps the Hassy version will be much better.
The Sony WiFi implementation is crap, as is their app ... I agree. It was the buggiest of all my WiFi equipped cameras and matching apps. Both my Olympus cameras and the SL are extremely robust and consistent in WiFi operation. I expect the X1D to be as well, or at least hope it is.

That said, even with landscape work, I want to be able to control the exact moment of exposure. Remember what some famous photographer said, "The control in photography are where to stand, where to push the shutter release, and when." :)

G

Godfrey

You're right of course: this sort of delay can happen to any company and rushing stuff out is a worse course than making people wait. I type that on a touchbar MacBook pro with a battery life of circa 2 hours....
I was absent from the company for much of the Touch Bar MacBook Pro development cycle, but I could sure tell lots of stories of the 'almost a real disaster' from my 25 years at the company ... Well I could, but I can't because of my non-disclosure agreements.

Short battery life is something I am sure they can, and will, fix. Shouldn't be there in the first place, of course, but mistakes do happen. :)

I haven't been watching the rumor and socialbuzz sites since I retired. I do wish the AirPods had been released while I was still there so I could have gotten them at discount but ... you win some, you lose some.

G

Godfrey

I still think relying solely on Wifi for shutter release wasn't a particulary good idea, in my humble opinion.
You are welcome to your opinion and I have no problem with it.

However, having experience for three years using the Olympus E-M1 and for a year and some using the Leica SL, both of which have both remote shutter releases as well as WiFi apps on iPhone/iPad, I can tell you from my experience that I've used the cable remote with either of them about five or ten times whereas I've used the WiFi control app to do remote release hundreds and hundreds of times with both. It's just that much more convenient and less likely to be a problem in the field.

The only time I actually, really prefer the wired remotes is on the very rare occasion when I want to do extremely long, manually timed exposures, greater than 1-2 minutes.

If there's something I would leave out of a modern, high-zoot camera if I had to leave something out, the wired remote capability is one thing. Of course, since I know the X1D will also support tethered-by-wire control and operation—if not immediately, sometime soon—I'm sure that a wired remote will surface at one point or another. :toocool:

G

KeithL

I only use a cable release or the self timer to shoot landscapes or other stationary subjects on a tripod when the "decisive moment" is rarely critical. I tried the iPhone App for my Sony A7RII, and it was VERY buggy. Perhaps the Hassy version will be much better.
I no longer shoot landscape but spent many years so doing. The bane of my landscape shooting life was foliage/plant movement. A self timer was of no use whatsoever.

The absence of a cabled release is one of several concerns I have about the X1D, suffice to say I'm following news and progress with interest.

KeithL

Why would that matter? The apps I've been using on the iPhone (and iPad) connect to the camera via WiFi. The camera itself can either connect through an existing WiFi network or creates its own WiFi hotspot to connect to. The latter setup is what you use in the field.

G
Further to my earlier response.

I have a phone but it's dumb.

D&A

You are welcome to your opinion and I have no problem with it.

However, having experience for three years using the Olympus E-M1 and for a year and some using the Leica SL, both of which have both remote shutter releases as well as WiFi apps on iPhone/iPad, I can tell you from my experience that I've used the cable remote with either of them about five or ten times whereas I've used the WiFi control app to do remote release hundreds and hundreds of times with both. It's just that much more convenient and less likely to be a problem in the field.

The only time I actually, really prefer the wired remotes is on the very rare occasion when I want to do extremely long, manually timed exposures, greater than 1-2 minutes.

If there's something I would leave out of a modern, high-zoot camera if I had to leave something out, the wired remote capability is one thing. Of course, since I know the X1D will also support tethered-by-wire control and operation—if not immediately, sometime soon—I'm sure that a wired remote will surface at one point or another. :toocool:

G
I wasn't thinking of a wired remote but of an IR one. Pentax 645z has a IR sensor on both the front and back of the camera...simple and efficient (although the camera will support a wired one). I realize with a compact body such as a X1D, internal space is limited.

In any case for what I shoot, a self timer wouldn't be practical for capturing decisive moments.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tcdeveau

I think everyone has valid points about lack of a cable release at the moment...it's an oversight at launch and something that Hasselblad is very aware that people are asking for. That being said, I really don't think it's a big deal and I'd be shocked if a simple USB cable release from Hasselblad (or from China) didn't come soon after deliveries ramp up. Since the hot shoe is Nikon-compatible, there may be other ways to trigger the camera via the hot shoe (ie 3rd party radio remote) but we won't know until there are more out in the field and someone can test it. I'm sure once it hits shelves someone will find a solution...

Regarding Wifi, some manufacturers have better implementation that others, and I think maybe we should see how it works in the X1D in the field before completely writing it off? It's far from my favorite way to trigger a camera, but I've used Wifi on my A7R and XT-1 for remote shutter release when I haven't had any other options and it does what it is supposed to.

KeithL

I've read elsewhere that the lack of a cabled release was an oversight on the part of Hasselblad. Really? As far as I know every camera Hasselblad has ever made has had some form of cabled release.

No, this my friends, was simply a ploy to piss me off.

:LOL:

I've read elsewhere that the lack of a cabled release was an oversight on the part of Hasselblad. Really? As far as I know every camera Hasselblad has ever made has had some form of cabled release.

No, this my friends, was simply a ploy to piss me off.

:LOL:
In fact, we were all in on it with Hasselblad. We have conspired for years against you and with the X1D an opportunity finally presented itself.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

C_R

The X1D arrived in Germany, the first cameras have already been delivered. I was lucky get an X1D as a loan until Jan 4, and have been shooting with XCD 45 and 90 mm. My first impression is mixed. On the one hand, IQ is first rate. My Pentax 90 mm Macro/ 645z is sometimes a bit better, many times you dont see a difference. The Pentax 28-45 zoom @45 mm is equal or possibly a bit softer sometimes in the center, and a bit softer in the corner than the XCD 45 / X1D. On the other hand, the X1D is SLOW. Startup and focus time are much slower than 645z. Maybe it will be better with new lens firmware (my dealer said, the XCD lenses are early samples, the menu indicates firmware 0.51). But a power on to shutter release time of 14 sec is just inacceptable for me, my 645z is under 1 sec. Formatting took 20 sec with X1D against 7 sec with 645z. The X1D firmware is 1.14.2-5428, should be the actual firmware, has 35 focus points. Maybe a matter of practice, but I missed the focus quite often when shooting portraits. EVF: After many years with Leica, and then Pentax 645z I find the X1D EVF hardly acceptable. However, this X1D is so small, half the weight of my Pentax, and extremely well built. I will do some more comparisons next weekend.

XCD 90:

Carsten
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38068178@N08/

D&A

Carsten Wrote>>>>"The X1D arrived in Germany, the first cameras have already been delivered. I was lucky get an X1D as a loan until Jan 4, and have been shooting with XCD 45 and 90 mm. My first impression is mixed. On the one hand, IQ is first rate. My Pentax 90 mm Macro/ 645z is sometimes a bit better, many times you dont see a difference. The Pentax 28-45 zoom @45 mm is equal or possibly a bit softer sometimes in the center, and a bit softer in the corner than the XCD 45 / X1D. On the other hand, the X1D is SLOW. Startup and focus time are much slower than 645z. Maybe it will be better with new lens firmware (my dealer said, the XCD lenses are early samples, the menu indicates firmware 0.51). But a power on to shutter release time of 14 sec is just inacceptable for me, my 645z is under 1 sec. Formatting took 20 sec with X1D against 7 sec with 645z. The X1D firmware is 1.14.2-5428, should be the actual firmware, has 35 focus points. Maybe a matter of practice, but I missed the focus quite often when shooting portraits. EVF: After many years with Leica, and then Pentax 645z I find the X1D EVF hardly acceptable. However, this X1D is so small, half the weight of my Pentax, and extremely well built. I will do some more comparisons next weekend."<<<<

I have not had the opportunity to work with or try out a production X1D with the latest firmware but some of your stated observations mirrored some of my concerns when I posted of my experience with a demo X1D approx. 4-6 weeks ago. I thought it was stated by someone representing Hasselblad that startup time had been reduced to 7-8 seconds? It's somewhat hard to compared a zoom (such as the Pentax 28-45mm) to a fixed focal length lens and although Pentax's 45mm 645 lens is mediocre at best, it's 45-85 zoom @45mm is generally sharper than the 28-45 @ 45mm.

Others would know better than myself, if your loaner has the latest firmware? I am also not a fan of EVF's but when I look through an exceptional one, it's quite acceptable (speaking for myself), but I too found the EVF of the X1D somewhat of a letdown. Again this is very subjective and there will be many opinions regarding this. Still as you pointed out, the size and weight of the X1D and lenses is certainly a game changer and very attractive for a MFD camera and the system as a whole has tremendous potential and room to grow and improve.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

wellfleet

Another user review @ https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58872147

"Point of reference: I am a sports photographer in the area of strength sports (weightlifting, powerlifting, CrossFit) and do both on location coverage of competitions as well as studio shooting with artificial light. I shoot a Nikon D800 and have never before used a mirrorless, medium format, or leaf shutter camera before (so my review will be done from that perspective)."

tashley

Subscriber Member
Another user review @ https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58872147

"Point of reference: I am a sports photographer in the area of strength sports (weightlifting, powerlifting, CrossFit) and do both on location coverage of competitions as well as studio shooting with artificial light. I shoot a Nikon D800 and have never before used a mirrorless, medium format, or leaf shutter camera before (so my review will be done from that perspective)."
Interesting, his startup time, whilst slow, is a lot faster than Carsten found even though the FW sounds older. Strange.

D&A

Interesting, his startup time, whilst slow, is a lot faster than Carsten found even though the FW sounds older. Strange.

This is why I am taking many things posted with a bit of skepticism, simply because there appears to be X1D's (mostly demos) with different firmware revisions loaded. His review on dpReview though was quite objective in my opinion as compared to another shorter X1D review by someone else in the same forum where that user claims the startup time of their X1D was faster than most all other current MFD cameras including the Pentax 645Z. I questioned that (him) since the 645Z has a startup time of 1 second or less.

Dave (D&A)