The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

MAJOR INFO UPDATE---
IF YOU SHOOT ONLY RAW, NO JPEG. THE VIEWFINDER COMES BACK ALMOST INSTANTANEOUSLY!!! I was thinking that it was the uncompress RAWs that were slowing things down, so it was going to try only shooting jogs. But the only option was RAW only, so I tried that and it seems that it's the camera processing the RAWs into jpgs that is gumming it up and making the EVF come back slower. This is great, because it was really putting me on the fence as to how usable it would be until that was speedier.

Dave-
Me too. One thing I wish Adobe would bring back is the FILL slider. They took it away a few years ago, and it was just great at bringing up shadows where you needed it without affecting everything else.

Yes, everyone will have different needs and desires for this or any camera. In terms of features. I think if it is on the spec list on their website, it will have it when shipped to customers or soon after via a firmware update. I'm still playing with it and will update as I find things out. I'm not trying to take over the thread, so if people get annoyed with too many posts, please someone let me know.

D&A

On the contrary Josh, keep your posts and observations coming. They are both informative and provide a level of unbiased info that not generally found in those usually gushing videos where all is presented as perfect. Besides, your findings as a user rather than a reviewer gives us a real world view of what you have time to discover.

With my only being able to use the demo X1D for a couple hrs as most, you have a distinct advantage of spending time with it to explore its strengths and weaknesses or possibly those areas where improvement would be of benifit. Thanks Josh!

Dave (D&A)

Eli

Josh,

I agree... your posts are really informative and much better and more useful than the vast majority of reviews out there, including interviews with "important people." You are giving us insights into how the camera behaves and we become a part of your discovery process. Exciting.

Thanks for making your experiences available to us.

iiiNelson

You've probably never needed 50MP before either. Or a touch screen rear LCD. Or ISO 24,000. Good for you. OK, you're a Luddite. :ROTFL:

No panic here. I'm just trying to determine, without any communication from Hasselblad, what will be implemented in the shipping cameras and what will not. My contributions to this thread have been in the spirit of information flow, not dismissive of the needs/wants of other photographers.

I care about everything that was in the announcement on June 22 and the corresponding specification that was released that day, all of which resulted in my placing a pre-order. To me, it's not acceptable to publish a specification in a marketing program designed to generate pre-orders and not live up to that spec in shipping units. So yes, I do care.

Let's retire as of December 31, 2016 the cliches, "...what's important are the photographs, not the [your favorite feature here]..." and "This camera is NOT about the [your favorite feature here], it's about taking amazing pictures...". For each of us, this isn't our first rodeo. Except for a precious few who actually pay the rent with their photography businesses, we pursue photography for a joy that can't be reduced and simplified to just "taking amazing pictures" or "the photographs". If that were true, there would be no tech cams, no medium format, no large format purists, no experimentation with adapted lenses, no film holdouts. We'd all be reduced to the least common denominator - the smartphone. How boring.

Happy New Year to all of you. May those of you who have pre-ordered the X1D get your cameras soon in 2017. For those of you who have yet to make a decision, I wish you "amazing pictures" using your smartphones. :D
Couldn't have said it better myself.

wellfleet

I would believe Ove B as the Product Manager who said that the GPS was built into the camera body.
In that same interview Ove also said that the hot shoe was only meant to be used for a flash.
I'm hoping to hear back with some answers from Peter Coulson, an Australian photographer and an H ambassador, who has posted a geotagged photo @ 500px.

Godfrey

You've probably never needed 50MP before either. Or a touch screen rear LCD. Or ISO 24,000. Good for you. OK, you're a Luddite. :ROTFL:
I still don't need 50Mpixel, or a touch screen rear LCD, or 11 fps, or autofocus. I have them all (other than the 50Mpixel) already and only rarely use any of them ... and usually not when I'm actually doing my photography rather than playing with the equipment.

50 Mpixel is way more resolution than I have needed for my image output sizing in digital or print output. If I want to make exceptionally large prints (no need for that either in the past fifty years, for me anyway), then it becomes useful.

... I care about everything that was in the announcement on June 22 and the corresponding specification that was released that day, all of which resulted in my placing a pre-order. To me, it's not acceptable to publish a specification in a marketing program designed to generate pre-orders and not live up to that spec in shipping units. So yes, I do care. ...
And that's a reasonable point of view because you used that information to put blood in the game.
I found that information piqued my interest ... and will wait to see the product before I put blood in the game.

In addition to Luddite, you can call me Conservative. :toocool:

But you've expanded my specific comments on GPS features to cover all features, which is beyond the intent of my post.

Let's retire as of December 31, 2016 the cliches, "...what's important are the photographs, not the [your favorite feature here]..." and "This camera is NOT about the [your favorite feature here], it's about taking amazing pictures...". For each of us, this isn't our first rodeo. Except for a precious few who actually pay the rent with their photography businesses, we pursue photography for a joy that can't be reduced and simplified to just "taking amazing pictures" or "the photographs". If that were true, there would be no tech cams, no medium format, no large format purists, no experimentation with adapted lenses, no film holdouts. We'd all be reduced to the least common denominator - the smartphone. How boring.
(bolded) I completely disagree with that notion. I cannot do photography of the same order in intent and versatility with a smartphone, therefore it cannot replace my other equipment. I would get no pleasure from trying to do that either ... I'd stop and go ride motorcycles or bicycles, or whatever else I enjoy doing, instead.

What is important to me are the photographs and the stories they tell ... Not the features of the equipment. As long as the equipment is capable of responding to my intent and photographic needs in so much as it affects the photographic results and my ability to express my intent, it has enough features. Smartphones don't meet that baseline requirement. I can only speak from the point of view of MY needs and desires because I cannot accept the role of speaking for the diverse assemblage of others who have enjoyed different rodeos. :)

Happy New Year to all of you. ... :D
And to you, Joe, and everyone else as well.

I hope you enjoy your X1D when it finally arrives, and that it meets your desires and needs. Or can handle exiting the waiting game without too much disappointment. I will, however, continue to converse about equipment from the perspective of my personal needs and desires rather than trying to assume that I know enough about everyone else's to speak for them. Please grant me that indulgence, because if that's not the point of a forum of diverse participants engaging in discussion, I don't know what is. :angel:

G

tashley

Subscriber Member
I don't see what the panic is about... This camera is NOT about the GPS, it's about taking amazing pictures in a physical form that's tiny and light, unlike anything out there at the moment. It seems to me that Hasselblad should be given credit for the astounding progress it is making in the firmware it is putting out, from version to version. If the improvements are any indication of the commitment and energy of Hasselblad to the future high quality of this platform, then I, for one, am excited.

So, if I need a GPS, I have my iPhone to take a snapshot of whatever I need a record of, and I have an excellent GPS stamp of the place and image. Or, for $200, I can buy an Apple Watch or a FitBit and keep track of my location with a $.50 notebook or an extra frame on my X1D, taking a screenshot of my "gps". Big deal.

I am looking forward to my X1D in a few days/weeks, given the kind of progress we are recently seeing. Yes, like the rest of you, I want my X1D now, but I an also wait (Hasselblad is not the only high-tech company that has growing/learning pains).

Overall, I like what I am seeing and hearing, and I am becoming a Hassi fanboy again (I used to be an old film Hasselblad user in the old days).
With Respek' Eli, I think you missed my point: GPS isn't particularly important to me personally though I absolutely get that for some, it is. The point I was making is this: if the camera really has 'shipped to end users in December' then why is it impossible, at this stage, to confirm something as simple as the actual shipping specification? It is that impossibility that speaks volumes to the pig's ear that Hasselblad are making of this. Yes the final camera may be wonderful one day I am sure we'll find out: but for now, communication scores a C--

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

Happy New Year to all of you. May those of you who have pre-ordered the X1D get your cameras soon in 2017. For those of you who have yet to make a decision, I wish you "amazing pictures" using your smartphones. :D
Double Amen to all the above Joe - I strongly agree. And a Happy New Year to you too!

Eli

With Respek' Eli, I think you missed my point: GPS isn't particularly important to me personally though I absolutely get that for some, it is. The point I was making is this: if the camera rally has 'shipped to end users in December' then why is it impossible, at this stage, to confirm something as simple as the actual shipping specification? It is that impossibility that speaks volumes to the pig's ear that Hasselblad are making of this. Yes the final camera may be wonderful one day I am sure we'll find out: but for now, communication scores a C--
I agree with the point you're making, and I probably jumped the gun too quickly with my rhetoric. Hasselblad should be clarifying points of confusion that we, their future customers have regarding the system; they are definitely not doing a good job in this regard.

Anyway, happy new year, and thank you for making this a very interesting discussion group.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I agree with the point you're making, and I probably jumped the gun too quickly with my rhetoric. Hasselblad should be clarifying points of confusion that we, their future customers have regarding the system; they are definitely not doing a good job in this regard.

Anyway, happy new year, and thank you for making this a very interesting discussion group.
And the same to you! May the Force be with your shutter finger!

Happy New Year! I'm glad this has been helpful to y'all. His review was helpful to me as well and he had lots of good points. Made me think about some things that I hadn't yet. I have a few different thoughts on a couple things which I'll touch on here. Just a different perspective, I highly encourage you to read his review. The main thing after figuring out that if you shoot only Raw that the EVF comes back almost right away is a huge step. I will try to reach out to Hasselblad to let them know to tell their dealers this, because as people test out the camera, it makes a huge difference in how the camera handles. Right now you also can't copy the RAW onto one card and the jpg onto the other, so this functionality may alleviate this delay. The power up still isn't an issue for me. Sure, it would be great to have it faster, but most people will have two batteries and they are small and light. So if you need to leave it on standby, you should be fine. Especially as the firmware keeps updating and the power management continues to improve. Hopefully spare batteries will be available when the camera ships.

EVF- for me, I'm happy with it. It again, could be like the SL, but it's not. It's large and allows you to do what you need to do and is accurate in terms of exposure/focus accuracy. This is on the one that I have at least. We have to keep in mind that there could be slight variations between cameras, but I've tested another demo camera for 15 minutes and it seemed to be the same. I agree with his take that if you shoot with glasses that you may have a learning curve to figure out the best way to use the evf. I don't wear them and one of the benefits of the EVF/eyecup is that your eye is so deeply seated in it that you feel immersed in the viewfinder. You also fit your eye into it slightly on an angle. This is not something you would normally even notice, but this leads to the downside that if you need to wear glasses you can't get your eye in there far enough to have it on an angle, which leads to his comments about losing 1/8th of the viewfinder. I'm pretty sure he means horizontally and it's so large that it shouldn't affect you a lot. but I can see it being frustrating. I did shoot with sunglasses on, Oakleys, which do have a curve to the lens and I only lost about 3% of the viewfinder that way. So if your glass lenses are curved, it will be easier. It will heavily depend on each persons individual glasses. With all that being said, the eye cup is plastic and it does look like it should be able to be removed. I'm certainly not going to try icon the demo camera. But my guess is that there will be a pretty easy solution to this either directly from Hasselblad or from a third party or custom solution.

I also tried it with gloves on. I didn't have any issues with any of the buttons or front or back wheels. The only thing that I can see being a little tricky is the pop up dial that changes the camera setting Modes, M, S, A, etc. With gloves it tends to want to be pushed back down, instead of turning. It still turned, but it's a little tricky.

TTL seemed to work well with the SB-800 on the hotshoe. Just a note, if you turn the flash on in TTL before you turn the camera on, the flash will show an error message. If the camera is on, it works fine. I also tried it with the Profoto Air controller and Profoto B1 Air. It was a little inconsistent, BUT I probably need to update the firmware. I honestly have never used the flat that way, so some aperture changes it adjusted the strobe setting and sometimes it didn't. My guess is that since it worked with the Nikon flash with TTl this is a firmware issue with the Profoto transmitter, which again, I have never updated the firmware on. It sync'd fine and didn't misfire at all.

Long exposure notes
-If you scroll past 1/15th of a second towards longer exposures, you have the option of T, B, and at the very longest 1 hour 8 minutes.
I didn't try any of these, so I'm not sure of you get a brace frame afterwards.

Image Quality
-I haven't really gotten into this and to be honest I'm wasn't that concerned about it, which is funny considering its a medium format camera and that's what these are all about, right?! :buggies:
The benefit of this sensor is that there are so many cameras using it, so it's been put through the paces and Hasselblad should be able to get the maximum quality out of it, which I think they have. The lenses look really sharp and are very compact. I will most likely use the 45mm XCD and get the H adapter and use my 100 2.2. While I like the 90mm, it's a little repetitive for me. I was going back and forth about the 45 or the 30, but I'm leaning towards the 45 because of the price and it's good for full length portraits.

Here are a couple pics. Maybe the first kiss fro the X1D?! :)

The previous pics of the dog/nighttime shots were at ISO 6400. the gym with lights was at ISO 400, f/4, 1/125 I think, the hands with white powder was at 1600.

These quick shots were 100, f/8, 1/320.

Attachments

wellfleet

I care about everything that was in the announcement on June 22 and the corresponding specification that was released that day, all of which resulted in my placing a pre-order. To me, it's not acceptable to publish a specification in a marketing program designed to generate pre-orders and not live up to that spec in shipping units. So yes, I do care.
I guess I need to clarify my statement also, though I thought it obvious. When I said I agreed with Godfrey and didn't care, I was referring to my personal need for a GPS. I don't need it. Nevertheless, I'm still trying to find out what's happening with the GPS module, so I've written to both Hasselblad support and an H ambassador, Peter Coulson, trying to get an answer to its implementation. So, from that perspective, I also do care.

Anyway, have a terrific 2017, and hopefully all of our questions will soon be answered.

wellfleet

Long exposure notes
-If you scroll past 1/15th of a second towards longer exposures, you have the option of T, B, and at the very longest 1 hour 8 minutes.
I didn't try any of these, so I'm not sure of you get a brace frame afterwards.
Hi Josh,

Is there any chance that you could check if there is an automatic dark frame and if it's the same length of time as the initial exposure. Thanks.

Last edited:

wellfleet

It did. It at 1 minute. This is pretty cool though! It's what shows up as it's taking the picture.
Thanks, but just to be clear, it did generate a one minute dark frame exposure after the initial 1 minute exposure, so that the total time was 2 minutes?

Last edited:
Oops. Sorry, my iPhone wants it to, but the camera does NOT shoot a black frame right now. That was supposed to say "I'll do it at one minute." My phone auto-incorrected it. :banghead: There was no black frame at either one minute or at 15 minute test. I don't do many long exposures, so not sure if that's a good or bad thing for those that do. What are your thoughts on that?

wellfleet

Oops. Sorry, my iPhone wants it to, but the camera does NOT shoot a black frame right now. That was supposed to say "I'll do it at one minute." My phone auto-incorrected it. :banghead: There was no black frame at either one minute or at 15 minute test. I don't do many long exposures, so not sure if that's a good or bad thing for those that do. What are your thoughts on that?
I'm glad your phone was wrong!!! I definitely prefer it not to have a black frame automativcally generated, especially when taking extremely long exposures. That's good news, thanks.