The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Oops. Sorry, my iPhone wants it to, but the camera does NOT shoot a black frame right now. That was supposed to say "I'll do it at one minute." My phone auto-incorrected it. :banghead: There was no black frame at either one minute or at 15 minute test. I don't do many long exposures, so not sure if that's a good or bad thing for those that do. What are your thoughts on that?
Being able to do long exposure without mandatory darkframe NR is definitely a good thing (and considered to be essential for serious filters' pals).

Phase One does a good job for the 44x33mm 50MP sensor but does a poor job for all fullframe sensors including the 100MP CMOS. I'll check it out with the Hasselblad offerings when I have the chance.

tcdeveau

Being able to do long exposure without mandatory darkframe NR is definitely a good thing (and considered to be essential for serious filters' pals).

Phase One does a good job for the 44x33mm 50MP sensor but does a poor job for all fullframe sensors including the 100MP CMOS. I'll check it out with the Hasselblad offerings when I have the chance.
To my knowledge, no Hasselblad uses a dark frame for long exposure NR in the way that Phase does, and I have no idea why they don't highlight this in the marketing literature. The 645z I've been using lately also doesn't need dark frame LENR (at least at the minute and below exposures I've been doing). It's a huge advantage over Phase for those that shoot lots of long exposures when shooting at sunrise/sunset when the light is changing or anytime the light is changing quickly. With my H4D-40 I could shoot 256 sec. exposures (max exposure time for the H4D-40) and turn right around and shoot another after the first was done. It also makes getting the exposure correct on long exposures much quicker than if you had to wait for a dark frame. It's nice to see the X1D also lacks a dark frame. My rep called me last week and said he finally got his demo camera, so I'm hoping to meet up with him and throw the big stopper on for some tests soon.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To my knowledge, no Hasselblad uses a dark frame for long exposure NR in the way that Phase does, and I have no idea why they don't highlight this in the marketing literature. The 645z I've been using lately also doesn't need dark frame LENR (at least at the minute and below exposures I've been doing). It's a huge advantage over Phase for those that shoot lots of long exposures when shooting at sunrise/sunset when the light is changing or anytime the light is changing quickly. With my H4D-40 I could shoot 256 sec. exposures (max exposure time for the H4D-40) and turn right around and shoot another after the first was done. It also makes getting the exposure correct on long exposures much quicker than if you had to wait for a dark frame. It's nice to see the X1D also lacks a dark frame. My rep called me last week and said he finally got his demo camera, so I'm hoping to meet up with him and throw the big stopper on for some tests soon.
Phase One recently added various controls for if/when the dark frame is used via free Feature Update (firmware update). The quality that a dark frame provides is not something that should be dismissed out of hand. When time/situation permits a dark frame is the way to go. Of course when being able to shoot without a dark frame is essential it is, by definition, more important to be able to shoot without, and a slight dip in quality can be accepted in return.

You may also not be familiar with the Long Exposure Calculation Tool in Phase One IQ2 and IQ3 backs which, in my experience, is *significantly* faster to establish correct exposures than any alternative method.

Notably, the max exposure time on all current Phase One models is one hour (60 minutes)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on that stuff guys, good to know. Doug, can you put the lens cap on the lens and shoot the same capture time right after if you felt like you needed one? I feel like this was discussed way back on another forum and that was a solution. But this is not stuff I normally shoot, I can see trying to shoot some with this camera since it's so light to carry around.

2.3 FPS IS ACTIVE!
I was going to try walking around tonight and shooting some more because the weather was supposed to clear up in NYC, but it was pretty crappy out, so my night got cut very short. But I did find a new feature that's already enabled, well a feature that I didn't realize was available before. I don't have the manual, so I'm learning by playing with it. Which is pretty easy (and usually how I do it anyway), because it's a very intuitive interface and things aren't buried in menus. I mentioned before that when I had it attached to the Phocus mobile app, I could put it into continuous mode. I think I mistakenly thought this was AF-C, when this was actually the Continuous DRIVE MODE. I did a little test shooting the stopwatch on my iPhone and it took a sequence of 10 images before the buffer started to fill up. I started the watch before i started shooting, so it didn't start at 0 seconds. Here's the sequence in seconds, so you can see the time between. There was one frame before this first frame at 2.62, so it may need a frame to realize you are keeping the shutter down. 3.5, 4.1, 4.67, 5.25, 5.8, 6.4, 6.98, 7.54, 8.15, 8,71. It just locks out the eve while it does this, so you just see black. And instead of the usual dual click of the lens opening and closing it seems to just click once for each capture. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics behind this, but it seems like the 1.7-2.3 frames per second they say in the spec sheet is accurate and already enabled. I did a less technical test outside and shot a crosswalk with the countdown of the numbers flashing with the seconds until the light changed and caught the #2 twice as well.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Still patiently waiting to hear from my dealer. I don't expect to see or hear anything until March or April TBH given what I've been following of Hasselblad's ability to deliver or even keep customers legitimately informed of any delivery expectations.

BTW, I am suspicious about Hasselblad's claims of delivering to real customers. Stinks of very questionable ethics and very dubious proof of any deliveries beyond empty boxes to friendly local photographers. Let's face it, if more than a tiny few cameras have ever been delivered to real customers there would be some news buzz and images out there. Alternatively, my spidey sense says early deliveries along with NDAs ... assuming of course that the physical deliveries have ever happened.

I've seen it before in the software business where unscrupulous companies have satisfied delivery deadlines with non-working or blatantly fraudulent excuses about delivery being delayed by external forces (box lost in the mail/Fedex/UPS etc).

JeRuFo

That would be something, an NDA with consumer cameras. You can do that with people you sponsor, but not with actual customers. The few people that seem to have one are talking about it, so my guess is that this was a first small run of cameras from the new production line and those went to friends and family.

GrahamWelland

That would be something, an NDA with consumer cameras. You can do that with people you sponsor, but not with actual customers. The few people that seem to have one are talking about it, so my guess is that this was a first small run of cameras from the new production line and those went to friends and family.
As we always said in retail, when the Platinum/Centurion card drops, the bullshit stops ...

Friends & family isn't retail delivery. Period.

GrahamWelland

Yes

it is the ultimate shill scenario.

Show me experiences and results from real customers and 'I'll take this back but I haven't seen ANY. Not one.

ddanois

As we always said in retail, when the Platinum/Centurion card drops, the bullshit stops ...

Friends & family isn't retail delivery. Period.
I hope you're correct Graham...

B&H hit the Amex last night for my X1D pre-order...waiting to see if I get a shipping notice today.

Will keep everyone posted :)

Paul2660

If they hit your card you can expect it to ship.

I have never seen them hit a card if something is not ready within 2 or 3 days.

Paul Caldwell

JeRuFo

Good news. Since more X1Ds started surfacing before Christmas I think it's safe to assume they are now in full production mode. Nobody knows ofcourse how many they can produce in a month, but it would be strange if they can fulfill all orders this month, since they won't need that capacity in the future when the pre-orders are fulfilled. February is probably a reasonable guess if you didn't order in the first week.

jdphoto

Nobody had noticed that. We all preordered thinking that there was no good reason to do so. Thanks for helping out here.

I'm always hesitant to pre order any camera gear simply because of obvious firmware bugs, glitches and wait times, but i've had tech issues with Hasselblad digital before. Better communication goes a long way to easing one's apprehension. This camera is no doubt intriguing and the black version is simply beautiful. The versatility of using it in square mode (33x33) to get 150mm from a XCD 90mm is tempting in itself, but it's the form factor for a MFD that resonates with me, not the specs. In many ways the A7rii smokes the X1D in regards to certain specs, but that tradeoff might change if /when camera reviews start coming in. Not from demo's, but final production models. I want one, but i'll wait till the hype is over and prices come down, which they invariably will. I also hope there's faster native XCD glass available soon too, cause it would be a great portrait rig

Last edited:

KeithL

I've never understood why anyone would want to be an early adopter in relation to any camera equipment. That said I'm glad there are those who do.

algrove

A "hit" on a CC could just be to see if the order can go through since all hits take some time to become real charges and stay on the CC as pending until such time as shipped.

B&H routinely "hits" my cc on orders even if it is a pre-order or for an item out of stock. BUT when I access my account details online I find the "hit" is a pending item only and does not indicate a shipment.

Let's hope "hits" in this case ARE shipments and not pending posts to your account.

ejpeiker

A "hit" on a CC could just be to see if the order can go through since all hits take some time to become real charges and stay on the CC as pending until such time as shipped.

B&H routinely "hits" my cc on orders even if it is a pre-order or for an item out of stock. BUT when I access my account details online I find the "hit" is a pending item only and does not indicate a shipment.

Let's hope "hits" in this case ARE shipments and not pending posts to your account.
Yup, you beat me to it. I was just about to post the same. If you have a pre-order, every few months, usually on the first of the month B&H will run an authorization for the amount of the purchase. They do this for two reasons, first to insure that your credit card is still valid as many cards are replaced long before their due date, and second to insure that the purchase can be completed when the item does become available and the card issuer still approves the transaction. This will show up as a pending transaction, it does not drop down to an actual executed transaction. After a week it will simply vanish off of your pending transactions if the item is not shipped. If they do actually ship it you will usually get a shipmnent notification late in the day on the same day as the transaction shows up on your card as a pending transaction. If you do not receive a shipment notification within 24 hours, it is likely due to what I described above.