The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

tjv

I'm very surprised LL would post such scaremongering info ahead of an official announcement and details. LL is, after all, not a rumour site. Weird.

D&A

Aravind said --->>>"The good news for X1D pre-order folks is that Hasselblad should have sufficient cash to fulfill the orders and in volume."<<<

I would think those that receive or plan on purchasing the X1D would expect more than delivery of their body and the one or more of the initial lenses... but a long term commitment to the growth of the system with additional lenses, firmware updates and accessories as such.

Dave (D&A)

dwood

I'm very surprised LL would post such scaremongering info ahead of an official announcement and details. LL is, after all, not a rumour site. Weird.
Agreed. Even if KevinR has the story generally right, I would think that DJI/Hassy would have preferred to release their own statement(s) first. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't work for either company. 'Weird' is kind of an understatement.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Agreed. Even if KevinR has the story generally right, I would think that DJI/Hassy would have preferred to release their own statement(s) first. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't work for either company. 'Weird' is kind of an understatement.
I agree. Great guy though KR seems to be, LuLa is so inextricably associated with MR that maybe it has lost its USP and is casting around to see what hooks work?

hcubell

Here was my response on LuLa:
"Very surprising take from LuLa. A total hatchet job; totally unjustified. This is 2017; changes of control of companies are commonplace. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. Yet, you have essentially proclimed that the sky is falling anda horrible tragedy has befallen Hasselblad and its customers. The notion that a strategic acquiror like DJI is BAD for Hasselblad and its future just because DJI is a Chinese company is ridiculous. There is a very significant likelihood that this is a positive move for Hasseelbad and its customers, not a negative move. After all, it was under the existing European ownership and former European CEO that Hasselblad made the worst moves in its history...the Stellar, the Lunar, etc. Whoever is acquiring Hasselblad today is buying into it based upon the products that have just been put into the pipeline, the H6D and the X1D, and other products that have not even been announced. The existing PE owner wanted out, and was probably unwilling to double down and pony up more capital to build out the manufacturing capacity and future R&D. DJI as a strategic acquiror will not be in this for a quick buck. I have no reason to doubt that DJI has very deep pockets and will be committed to the future of Hasselblad. If you have hard information to the contrary, let's hear it."

If you think DJI is some poorly capitalized, fly by night company that's struggling to sell drones and looking for a quick buck on Hasselblad, think again: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2015/05/06/dji-drones-frank-wang-china-billionaire/#294fac84210c

Nick-T

Congratulations to Hasselblad (and those who purchased) on starting to ship the X1D! It can now be said a new era (mirrorless larger then 35mm digital cameras) has officially begun. It's a nascent category I expect to grow steadily in the coming years. It's pretty rare, really, for a new category of camera to be born, so I, for one, am having a whiskey in celebration tonight.
It's mirrorless medium format Doug.

I think going from a minority to a majority stake and completely acquiring a company are two completely different things. If they announce they are shutting down production in Sweden and moving everything to China that's one thing and a total change in direction in the company. But assuming this is accurate info, this sounds to me like it's just moving money and percentages around. This is clearly something that's been in the works for a while, so I doubt they would have been updating firmware if they were going to make major company direction shifts. Hopefully it helps them get the rest of the cameras shipped faster and brings the V1D :bugeyes: to us sooner!

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would see the 33x44 mm sensor as the "APS-C" of medium. Well, the analogy with APS-H would be better as it had 1.3X crop factor.

What is revolutionary with the X1D is that Hasselblad and Fuji are building optimised systems around the small sensor.

Consider Fuji, all their ILCE-s were APS-C and they made very good lenses for that format. Nikon and Canon did not develop a high end lens system for APS-C, Fuji did.

So, Fuji says they want a larger format, they don't try to beat Canon, Nikon and Sony in their game. So they go 44x33 and optimise around that sensor.

Not so much difference between the Sony and the Leica in size the image diagonals are 55 vs 54 mm.

Best regards
Erik

If the 44x33 sensor is not MF then watch out what one might call the Leica S sensor.I would call the 44x33 a "cropped MF" and the S a "Super FF".

Last edited:

Geoff

Good point. Lets try to figure it out...a few possibilities:

Option 1: LL (KR) got the journalistic "can't sit on this anymore" urg and had to get it out. A bit of earning spurs, and reasserting LL independence, perhaps.

Option 2: trying to do something w the article - possibly force DJI hand a bit to go public? Help Perry and stabilize a potentially disruptive situation?

As much as I'm tempted to think (1), you kind of have to think there must be something else going on here. KR is too smart to burn bridges w Perry, whom he likes.

Any other ideas?

hcubell

Good point. Lets try to figure it out...a few possibilities:

Option 1: LL (KR) got the journalistic "can't sit on this anymore" urg and had to get it out. A bit of earning spurs, and reasserting LL independence, perhaps.

Option 2: trying to do something w the article - possibly force DJI hand a bit to go public? Help Perry and stabilize a potentially disruptive situation?

As much as I'm tempted to think (1), you kind of have to think there must be something else going on here. KR is too smart to burn bridges w Perry, whom he likes.

Any other ideas?
I have no issue with publishing a scoop about a significant business move that directly affects one of the two players in the medium format digital marketplace. My issue is that the scoop about a change in ownership was embedded in a lengthy polemic that was, in my estimation, a hatchet job and was issued at exactly the time that the X1Ds were starting to ship to customers in the US. I can't imagine a "news scoop" being slanted in a more negative way. The whole thrust of the article was about sowing FEAR, UNCERTAINTY AND DOUBT about Hasselblad. Coincidence? You don't have to be Oliver Stone to reflect on the fact that Kevin Raber spent many years working for Phase One.

dchew

The whole thrust of the article was about sowing FEAR, UNCERTAINTY AND DOUBT about Hasselblad.
I didn't read it that way at all.

After being around Kevin several times over the last 6 years, I find him to be truly excited about anything related to photography. A purposeful attempt to derail Hasselblad or any other company trying to be successful would be just so out of character for Kevin.

Dave

hcubell

I didn't read it that way at all.

After being around Kevin several times over the last 6 years, I find him to be truly excited about anything related to photography. A purposeful attempt to derail Hasselblad or any other company trying to be successful would be just so out of character for Kevin.

Dave
I know that if I wanted to write an article about the supposed change in ownership of Hasselblad and wanted to strike a positive tone that would contribute to Hasselblad's future success in its core business, the article would not look anything like what Kevin Raber wrote.

Jamgolf

I do not get the same negative feeling from the article that others are getting. KR is putting his neck on the line by reporting this. If it happens to be false, KR's credibility would be done. On the other hand if the news is true then it is certainly news worthy for a serious photography information outlet such as LuLa to report it.

As to the manner in which KR wrote the piece. I have no problem with that either:

• "The camera gear I wanted most was Hasselblad."
  • "On June 22, 2016, Hasselblad announced an amazing new camera that took the camera industry by storm and confirmed hopes that Perry’s promises would be realized. Hasselblad was back..."
  • "Perry, is a brilliant man and really believed in his new products and especially the team that was behind him."
  • "Can DJI maintain the iconic tradition and sales of such a mature and recognized brand?"

When I read these sentences, I do not get the sense of hate or P1 bias or whatever.

Don Libby

I've had a couple dealings with DJI customer service all of which went from bad to worse and have sworn off them since. DJI has a long history of promising new things that either never show or take years all the while very ready to take your money with pre-orders. I have nothing against Hasselblad as I think they make a fine product; what I don't like and don't trust having been burned once too often is their new parent company DJI.

Do a search on DJI customer service and see the results.

kscott

I do not get the same negative feeling from the article that others are getting. KR is putting his neck on the line by reporting this. If it happens to be false, KR's credibility would be done. On the other hand if the news is true then it is certainly news worthy for a serious photography information outlet such as LuLa to report it.

As to the manner in which KR wrote the piece. I have no problem with that either:

• "The camera gear I wanted most was Hasselblad."
  • "On June 22, 2016, Hasselblad announced an amazing new camera that took the camera industry by storm and confirmed hopes that Perry’s promises would be realized. Hasselblad was back..."
  • "Perry, is a brilliant man and really believed in his new products and especially the team that was behind him."
  • "Can DJI maintain the iconic tradition and sales of such a mature and recognized brand?"

When I read these sentences, I do not get the sense of hate or P1 bias or whatever.
Agreed.

I would still like to be able to purchase an X1D. I hope that Hasselblad remains viable, and moreover that they're successful and able to innovate well into the future whether or not they've been acquired. But I don't find the gist of what KevinR said implausible, and given that he's spent a bunch of his energy promoting the X1D and giving Hasselblad a bunch of free promotional airtime on LuLa over the past 6+ months, I also wouldn't assess him to be anti-Hasselblad. As someone somewhere else recently said, I don't think that KevinR has ever met a camera he didn't love :)

I hope that some of his concerns prove to be unfounded. If Hasselblad (or their putative new owners) are concerned about this article harming their business, we're obviously all ears if they want to make a statement rebutting KevinR's claims and/or assuaging customer concerns.