The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Godfrey

I do not get the same negative feeling from the article that others are getting. KR is putting his neck on the line by reporting this. If it happens to be false, KR's credibility would be done. On the other hand if the news is true then it is certainly news worthy for a serious photography information outlet such as LuLa to report it.
Therein lies the basic problem. This isn't news ... news is reportage: an event has happened, the news reports it. Later, an opinion publication might evaluate it.

Neither Hasselblad nor DJII have announced anything yet. So this isn't reportage, this piece is exposé ... essentially a rumor posted as fact, whether 'informed' or not. This is the kind of cr@p that the current g*****n news industry calls 'investigative reporting' ... and what I call "the making of sensation to fuel the fortunes of the reporter". As soon as I see this kind of cr@p from information sources that I have looked to for news and information, I stop looking to them because it means they've succumbed to the same disease that's destroyed news over and over again in the latter half of the past century. They're not reporting on events that have happened, they are creating sensation and (either by intent or not) trying to bend reality to give them a scoop.

Any credibility that KR ever had (not much for me...) is now gone.

G

Jamgolf

Therein lies the basic problem. This isn't news ... news is reportage: an event has happened, the news reports it. Later, an opinion publication might evaluate it.

Neither Hasselblad nor DJII have announced anything yet. So this isn't reportage, this piece is exposé ... essentially a rumor posted as fact, whether 'informed' or not. This is the kind of cr@p that the current g*****n news industry calls 'investigative reporting'
G
I'll have to respectfully disagree...

If no one ever does any investigative reporting and we only find out after things actually happen then we may have some serious problems.
Verizon intending to buy Yahoo or Microsoft buying Nokia is important information. Traders & investors want that information. Yahoo, Verizon, Microsoft, Nokia etc. confirm/deny it much later, after it actually happens. If journalism only meant stating the obvious or what just happened, then we would not need any journalists.

I won't recognize Kevin Raber if he was standing next to me, but I do not have any problem with what he said.

Shashin

I am not really sure what the fuss is about. Hasselblad has had financial problems for some time. The fact that another company has decided to invest in the company and has become a majority shareholder is not really news--someone is usually a majority shareholder of a company.

I hate to break the bad news, but on the whole, the camera industry is shrinking. Products are become more expensive and the customer base is decreasing. Every manufacturer is trying to come up with a model that works in a climate that that not only has no precedent, but also is rapidly changing. Putting the devaluation of creative work and photography on top of that, my recommendation if you want to make money, don't go into camera manufacturing, at least not in the consumer markets.

First, LuLa is not a new outlet. Kevin's piece is an informed opinion. I found some of it insightful, some not. But no one has a complete picture. Obviously his idea that Contax (Kyocera) could have owned the medium-format world is way off base, but the cycle of resent ownership of Hasselblad and their rebranding of Sony cameras is not good news is close to the mark.

Perhaps the X1D is Hasselblad's roll of the dice to stay in business. I hope it works, although though they have really botched the roll out, the camera system itself might overcome that liability.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Godfrey,

The alternative is "press release" news, where corporations and politicians tell us what wonderful things they have done, what terrible things their competitors/opponents have done, and how we're supposed to react. We've seen both extremes in the past few decades to our immense detriment. Integrity in journalism is neither making things up, nor being a parrot.

--Matt

BANKER1

Neither Hasselblad nor DJII have announced anything yet. So this isn't reportage, this piece is exposé ... essentially a rumor posted as fact, whether 'informed' or not. This is the kind of cr@p that the current g*****n news industry calls 'investigative reporting' ... and what I call "the making of sensation to fuel the fortunes of the reporter". As soon as I see this kind of cr@p from information sources that I have looked to for news and information, I stop looking to them because it means they've succumbed to the same disease that's destroyed news over and over again in the latter half of the past century. They're not reporting on events that have happened, they are creating sensation and (either by intent or not) trying to bend reality to give them a scoop.

Any credibility that KR ever had (not much for me...) is now gone.

G
Great points, Godfrey. I ceased going to LuLa long ago for this type of thing. MR was the ultimate Hasselblad hater, and it looks like Raber has taken on his persona.

algrove

It's unfortunate that this guy ( never heard of him ) has gone and done this and there is no official announcement.

Sometimes you have to pass on click-bait value and show a little respect and this idiot showed none.
If you've never heard of Kevin Raber before, on what planet do you live?

jdphoto

I know that if I wanted to write an article about the supposed change in ownership of Hasselblad and wanted to strike a positive tone that would contribute to Hasselblad's future success in its core business, the article would not look anything like what Kevin Raber wrote.
I'm pretty sure the author's intent is not to contribute to Hasselblad's future success, nor should it be. He's just stating facts that most in the camera industry are well aware of regarding marketing decisions at Hasselblad. How many pre orders for the Luna were placed from members here?...(crickets) Yeah, that's what i thought. It's about a former reputation that has been legendary and an iconic branding that only Leica can compare to. The camera industry is changing dramatically and really no one needs this insane planned obsolescence and upgrade cycles. Like the auto industry, the tooling costs must be outrageous on an annual basis. So, please write that story about the supposed change in the business model of Hasselblad if it will contribute to their success because a lot of people are still waiting for their X1D. In 2015 DJI Innovations doubled its annual revenue to 1 billion for a privately held company, not too shabby. Maybe there will be an X1D drone. Start writing!

Last edited:

jdphoto

Godfrey,

The alternative is "press release" news, where corporations and politicians tell us what wonderful things they have done, what terrible things their competitors/opponents have done, and how we're supposed to react. We've seen both extremes in the past few decades to our immense detriment. Integrity in journalism is neither making things up, nor being a parrot.

--Matt
You had me until, "integrity in journalism".

I had another, totally unplanned, 1 on 1 with the X1D today and the latest, greatest firmware. Here are my observations:

- did not heat up excessively
- startup time was a lot faster as well. I did not time it, but it was certainly faster than 15 seconds
- auto focus seemed much snappier than last time and performed fine
- choosing focus point is awkward and unless you are on a tripod you will have to recompose
- EVF was less choppy
- did not crash even once!

I went to PearTree Photo in East London to buy a soft box so I did test the X1D using a strobe and my new soft box. While we were doing this we could not figure out how to turn off the 'preview exposure' feature which was rather annoying. Anyone knows how to do that?

Still feeling rather confident about my pre-order, but they did say they would not receive any more units until April. I have to check if my dealer is still confident about mid January.

gerald.d

Am I the only one who can't help but to wonder whether Kevin's article potentially says more about the financial viability of the strategy behind his own website, than it does about Hasselblad as a company?