The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

D&A

I had another, totally unplanned, 1 on 1 with the X1D today and the latest, greatest firmware. Here are my observations:

- did not heat up excessively
- startup time was a lot faster as well. I did not time it, but it was certainly faster than 15 seconds
- auto focus seemed much snappier than last time and performed fine
- choosing focus point is awkward and unless you are on a tripod you will have to recompose
- EVF was less choppy
- did not crash even once!

I went to PearTree Photo in East London to buy a soft box so I did test the X1D using a strobe and my new soft box. While we were doing this we could not figure out how to turn off the 'preview exposure' feature which was rather annoying. Anyone knows how to do that?

Still feeling rather confident about my pre-order, but they did say they would not receive any more units until April. I have to check if my dealer is still confident about mid January.
Everything on your list was questionable and of great concern when I shot with a demo X1D a couple months ago and voiced my concerns back then. A not very snappy and hesitant autofocus, and a subpar view through the EVF were readily evident. Nice to hear they addressed these and more. Regardless of the recent news reported regarding Hasselblad, I for one am looking forward to hearing of Derek's unbiased experiences and views about his X1d as he's the only one I know of that has received a production X1D body.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

PedroL

Am I the only one who can't help but to wonder whether Kevin's article potentially says more about the financial viability of the strategy behind his own website, than it does about Hasselblad as a company?
No, right now is 2 of us....

ejpeiker

Not really. KR is a well established web reviewer. There is only one KR in the camera world and that is the indomitable Ken Rockwell.

Fact! :)
Ah yes. the guy that says that no pros use tripods, the guy that says that JPEG is superior to RAW, says that pros don't use mid-range zooms, says that lens sharpness doesn't matter, and many more. His whole thing is to generate clicks which he earns money off of. Even Ken Rockwell doesn't think Ken Rockwell is a serious web reviewer as he himself has stated.

ejpeiker

PCMag.com picked up the story, with nothing to add but speculation - Why Hasselblad Needs DJI's Cash | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
This quote from the PCMag article is very telling. If it wasn't true I think they would have used the opportunity to deny it:
"We have no further news about DJI's partnership with Hasselblad. We will continue to work together to push forward world-class imaging to creators around the world," DJI tells PCMag.

tjv

I bet he didn't write a hysterical piece about the death of the company he knows and loves when Phase were mostly sold to a private equity / venture capital firm.

i.e.

"Not The Phase One It Used To Be . . . What Will The Future Be?"

V

Vivek

Ah yes. the guy that says that no pros use tripods, the guy that says that JPEG is superior to RAW, says that pros don't use mid-range zooms, says that lens sharpness doesn't matter, and many more. His whole thing is to generate clicks which he earns money off of. Even Ken Rockwell doesn't think Ken Rockwell is a serious web reviewer as he himself has stated.
He may not be serious but he is not putting out rumors and articles based on them.

tjv

This quote from the PCMag article is very telling. If it wasn't true I think they would have used the opportunity to deny it:
"We have no further news about DJI's partnership with Hasselblad. We will continue to work together to push forward world-class imaging to creators around the world," DJI tells PCMag.
It's a hell of a lot more 'positive' than the LuLa sensationalist click bait...

"If DJI is willing to throw serious money Hasselblad's way, not only to allow it to scale up production to meet demand of its high-dollar medium format product, but also to develop new cameras, the future of the brand could be very bright indeed."

tjv

Nick-T has said that he has a friend trialling an X1D on a drone. Why use the expensive H aerial camera when you could use an X1D? (There are probably many good reasons for the hard core user, but for 99% of people?)

wellfleet

That's what's referred to as the "Glomar response."

ddanois

I had another, totally unplanned, 1 on 1 with the X1D today and the latest, greatest firmware. Here are my observations:

- did not heat up excessively
- startup time was a lot faster as well. I did not time it, but it was certainly faster than 15 seconds
- auto focus seemed much snappier than last time and performed fine
- choosing focus point is awkward and unless you are on a tripod you will have to recompose
- EVF was less choppy
- did not crash even once!

I went to PearTree Photo in East London to buy a soft box so I did test the X1D using a strobe and my new soft box. While we were doing this we could not figure out how to turn off the 'preview exposure' feature which was rather annoying. Anyone knows how to do that?

Still feeling rather confident about my pre-order, but they did say they would not receive any more units until April. I have to check if my dealer is still confident about mid January.
I can confirm Erik's comments based on my use of my X1D so far. BTW, my camera has the 1.14.2 firmware.

- I played with a demo camera during the "road show" a few months ago and it was HOT during use. It really concerned me but my camera is barely warm on the bottom during use so, good improvement.
- Startup time is no longer than my A7RII
- AF is pretty quick but I agree that the AF point selection is awkward at best. Yes, you can choose a focus point other than center (which is great, don't get me wrong) but it's a bit impractical...I need more time to see if I can develop a rhythm to overcome the awkwardness.
- EVF for me is pretty sharp (albeit less contrasty than the A7RII or the Leica Q) but I really feel that it's about the same as the Q
-I had one "freeze" that required removal of the battery to reset but it could have been the SD card that I was using. I've since put in a faster SD card and all seems well.

I'll try to provide some more feedback and pics by the weekend.

Derek

It's either in the display or exposure compensation menu I believe. I don't have the camera anymore, so I can't remember for sure.

And yes, a joystick would have been better. I think the more you use it, the quicker it will get to move it around. They also need to let you use the AEL button to bring up all the points. I have small hands (bring on the jokes!) and i have to move my hand off the grip to access the button to bring up all the AF points. Forgot to mention that earlier, thanks for the reminder.

jduncan

I do not get the same negative feeling from the article that others are getting. KR is putting his neck on the line by reporting this. If it happens to be false, KR's credibility would be done. On the other hand if the news is true then it is certainly news worthy for a serious photography information outlet such as LuLa to report it.

As to the manner in which KR wrote the piece. I have no problem with that either:

• "The camera gear I wanted most was Hasselblad."
  • "On June 22, 2016, Hasselblad announced an amazing new camera that took the camera industry by storm and confirmed hopes that Perry’s promises would be realized. Hasselblad was back..."
  • "Perry, is a brilliant man and really believed in his new products and especially the team that was behind him."
  • "Can DJI maintain the iconic tradition and sales of such a mature and recognized brand?"

When I read these sentences, I do not get the sense of hate or P1 bias or whatever.
That's maybe because you are not used to rhetorics? that is the oldest trick in the book: add a couple of positive or praising words before going into destruction mode, so you can:
|1. Manipulate some people into believing you are "just being objective"
2. Get some possible deniability, in case people, are smarter than that and it blows in your face.
This is a classic sample with Steve Jobs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpAfDUst9wA
Notice how all the people of the audience notice that expressions like:"Perry, is a brilliant man and really believed in his new products and especially the team that was behind him" Are not indicative of good will.
Lets look at the "speculations / affirmations" of the article:
1. Hasselblad Acquired By DJI (maybe they just become majority investors that are not the same)
2. The decision was made simply because Hasselblad was selling a lot of H1 cameras and lenses, but not a lot of digital backs. It bothered them to know that other brands of digital camera backs were sitting on their prized cameras.
3.To top it off, the company had trimmed itself down to a bare bones staff, leaving a relatively small team to work miracles under immense pressure... Sensors had to be manufactured.
4.Hasselblad’s employees are a bit worried, to say the least. It could be that a few of them are no longer with the company or are already looking elsewhere for employment.
5.In all fairness, another Swedish iconic company – Volvo, is now owned by Chinese investors and Volvo’s new models promise really well – if they sell.

Each pseudo positive note is followed by gloomy statements that invalidate it. Notice that these gloomy statements are all, as far as we been told pure speculation. The article does not talk about DJI expertise with electronics, or autofocus, not it mention that if DJI acquired the company Hasselblad will have the resources developed against Fuji.
In fact, there is not a single positive asumtion that remain valid on the article.

Then there is the timing: Just when the X1D is reaching customers and People are talking about the camera LL intervenes with a speculative article and changes the conversation. Do you believe Kevin Raber is not smart enough to calculate this outcome?

Best regards,

Jamgolf

That's maybe because you are not used to rhetorics? that is the oldest trick in the book: add a couple of positive or praising words before going into destruction mode...
Well, thanks for explaining the concept of rhetorics and how it may be used to bamboozle audiences.
Trust me, even when I read that article again I do not feel the negativity nor get the sense of bamboozle-ment :)

Anyway - its just an article that informed us of a possible merger/acquisition.
Rest of it is all mumbo jumbo, he-said/she-said. Its just an article...

Frankly, I find the over reaction to the article to be far more obnoxious.

Last edited:

D&A

I'm really just hoping my X1D get DELIVERED by a Drone!!! :ROTFL:
How ironic that DJI with their world class expertise in GPS controlled drones, didn't assist along the way in putting that internal GPS module into the X1D. :)

Dave

Last edited: