The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

D&A

I can confirm Erik's comments based on my use of my X1D so far. BTW, my camera has the 1.14.2 firmware.

- I played with a demo camera during the "road show" a few months ago and it was HOT during use. It really concerned me but my camera is barely warm on the bottom during use so, good improvement.
- Startup time is no longer than my A7RII
- AF is pretty quick but I agree that the AF point selection is awkward at best. Yes, you can choose a focus point other than center (which is great, don't get me wrong) but it's a bit impractical...I need more time to see if I can develop a rhythm to overcome the awkwardness.
- EVF for me is pretty sharp (albeit less contrasty than the A7RII or the Leica Q) but I really feel that it's about the same as the Q
-I had one "freeze" that required removal of the battery to reset but it could have been the SD card that I was using. I've since put in a faster SD card and all seems well.

I'll try to provide some more feedback and pics by the weekend.

Derek
Thanks Derek! When time permits, could you let us know how well the AF does in low light and if there is much hunting. The demo unit I tried a few months ago constantly hesitated and often didn't lock onto subjects. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

ddanois

Dave,

My camera performs pretty well in low light. By way of example, I tried focusing in my bedroom with just one bedside lamp on and there was no hunting. The AF does a standard cycle and then locks. More than adequate for the intended purpose of this camera. No complaints for me on this one.

Best,
Derek

D&A

Dave,

My camera performs pretty well in low light. By way of example, I tried focusing in my bedroom with just one bedside lamp on and there was no hunting. The AF does a standard cycle and then locks. More than adequate for the intended purpose of this camera. No complaints for me on this one.

Best,
Derek
Thanks so much Derek! Clearly a big improvement from the demo I tried with an earlier firmware. Good to see Hasselblad taking notice of improving a number of key issues prior to releasing production units.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ddanois

I've received a few PMs with questions about the production X1D so I'll address them here for the benefit of others as well...

WiFi: The implementation of wifi on the X1D (in conjunction with the Phocus app) is remarkable. The camera uses the 5Ghz spectrum for connection and it's really fast. Live view on the iPad is very fluid and has no delay. Very effective for fine manual focus.

Shutter Sound: As most are aware, the X1D uses a leaf shutter. I was a bit surprised by the loud shutter activation. Think...the sound of the metal hammer strike when pulling the trigger on an empty revolver pistol. Not sure if this will subside after some break-in but I'll keep checking.

ISO: I have opened the RAW images in both Lightroom and Phocus and the noise up to 6400 is well controlled. In fact, I shot several test shots inside of my home with fairly low light and the auto ISO selected ISO 3200...all had remarkably low, fine-grained noise. If I were going to covert to B&W, I wouldn't even consider noise reduction.

Battery: So far I haven't experienced any issues with battery life but I'll be putting this to the test this week. I'll be taking it with me to Chicago so I'll get a better sense of how it behaves in cold weather vs the warm climate of South Florida. I usually have a minimum of two batteries but the Hasselblad spare is not yet shipping.

Lenses:
(30mm) Sharp edge-to-edge, even wide open. The left side is slightly crisper than the right side so it could be some minor decentering but more testing will be needed. The lens distortion can be seen when opening the image in Lightroom (no lens profiles yet). However, Phocus applies the profile and the image is corrected. Looks beautiful.

(45mm) testing today so stay tuned

(90mm) Simply spectacular! I have shot with every medium format lens out there over the last ten years and this lens is clearly at the top of the pack. Nice job Hasselblad!

Hope this helps answer some of the many questions. I plan to spend some more time shooting the camera over the next week so I'll post feedback (with pics) as I clarify/discover additional elements.

Thanks,
Derek

Greenaa

Can everyone who received their X1Ds so far please let me know what your camera serial number is?

I received mine yesterday and my serial number is UQ26010197, which I believe is pretty early in the hardware run......

Thanks,

ACG

I've received a few PMs with questions about the production X1D so I'll address them here for the benefit of others as well...

WiFi: The implementation of wifi on the X1D (in conjunction with the Phocus app) is remarkable. The camera uses the 5Ghz spectrum for connection and it's really fast. Live view on the iPad is very fluid and has no delay. Very effective for fine manual focus.

Shutter Sound: As most are aware, the X1D uses a leaf shutter. I was a bit surprised by the loud shutter activation. Think...the sound of the metal hammer strike when pulling the trigger on an empty revolver pistol. Not sure if this will subside after some break-in but I'll keep checking.

ISO: I have opened the RAW images in both Lightroom and Phocus and the noise up to 6400 is well controlled. In fact, I shot several test shots inside of my home with fairly low light and the auto ISO selected ISO 3200...all had remarkably low, fine-grained noise. If I were going to covert to B&W, I wouldn't even consider noise reduction.

Battery: So far I haven't experienced any issues with battery life but I'll be putting this to the test this week. I'll be taking it with me to Chicago so I'll get a better sense of how it behaves in cold weather vs the warm climate of South Florida. I usually have a minimum of two batteries but the Hasselblad spare is not yet shipping.

Lenses:
(30mm) Sharp edge-to-edge, even wide open. The left side is slightly crisper than the right side so it could be some minor decentering but more testing will be needed. The lens distortion can be seen when opening the image in Lightroom (no lens profiles yet). However, Phocus applies the profile and the image is corrected. Looks beautiful.

(45mm) testing today so stay tuned

(90mm) Simply spectacular! I have shot with every medium format lens out there over the last ten years and this lens is clearly at the top of the pack. Nice job Hasselblad!

Hope this helps answer some of the many questions. I plan to spend some more time shooting the camera over the next week so I'll post feedback (with pics) as I clarify/discover additional elements.

Thanks,
Derek

algrove

Can everyone who received their X1Ds so far please let me know what your camera serial number is?

I received mine yesterday and my serial number is UQ26010197, which I believe is pretty early in the hardware run......

Thanks,

ACG
Congrats on your X1D receipt. Can you kindly indicate the country you live in and the dealer's name you got it from. TIA.

Greenaa

I am in Belgium and bought from Transcontinenta. They indicated they received 11 units yesterday.

Best Regards,

ACG

Congrats on your X1D receipt. Can you kindly indicate the country you live in and the dealer's name you got it from. TIA.

Some type of a review http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2017/01/09/hasselblad-a-road-trip-with-the-exquisite-x1d/

Not quite sure why they let this person have a demo unit to review though. Rather lackluster photos.
The images are lackluster indeed, could be done better with an iPhone7s...
He is saying it himself: "I’m not a photographer but rather someone who enjoys photographing things, so that’s the spirit in which I relate my thoughts on the camera."

I guess that H is targeting this cam not only on professionals but on the upper class of people who can afford it and like to own nice things....or do you think they get 30'000 orders for it from professionals only (if that is true nobody knows but Hasselblad...)? :rolleyes:

dchew

I guess that H is targeting this cam not only on professionals but on the upper class of people who can afford it and like to own nice things....or do you think they get 30'000 orders for it from professionals only (if that is true nobody knows but Hasselblad...)? :rolleyes:
Ya think maybe? The article was in Barron's, they picked them up in a Bentley with a $135,000+ camper attached. Hmm...
:p

Dave

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

The Barron's review is hilarious, worthy of a TOP parody. Barrons is a newsfeed for investors, stock-traders, etc. The reporter was probably at the CES to find out what will be the "next big thing." He was excited to see that the camera has a viewfinder, and he liked using it! I guess he is normally a selfie-taker. And, yes, the short junket into the desert was taken with the Hasselblad US President (not Perry Osting, the CEO of Hasselblad) in a Bentley SUV with a shiny Airstream-like retro trailer to relax in. It was probably drawn up next to the LasVegas conference venue for executive interviews and relaxation. No wonder he takes it for granted that dropping the price for a Hasselkit down to $12K has made 30,000 orders fall out of the sky.

scott

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The images are lackluster indeed, could be done better with an iPhone7s...
He is saying it himself: "I’m not a photographer but rather someone who enjoys photographing things, so that’s the spirit in which I relate my thoughts on the camera."

Do the math...30,000 orders at $10K for each $15K kit sold .....is $300M ....ten times the current size of HB and 3x -5x the entire MF market . Not reasonable in any way . If HB even hits their original forecast of 3,000 units it will equal a full years revenue . You can not scale a hand made product requiring skilled labor that fast .

algrove

That Barron's writer had better put away more than pennies, maybe wads of 100 dollar bills if the X1D is wanted just in case things go south for HB. I sure hope not.

BANKER1

Do the math...30,000 orders at $10K for each $15K kit sold .....is $300M ....ten times the current size of HB and 3x -5x the entire MF market . Not reasonable in any way . If HB even hits their original forecast of 3,000 units it will equal a full years revenue . You can not scale a hand made product requiring skilled labor that fast .
In my opinion, the real problem is not with skilled labor or infrastructure to produce these cameras. I doubt Hasselblad is working three shifts a day, seven days a week. That schedule could produce a lot of cameras in a pretty condensed period of time. Everyone here was mocking the "HANDMADE IN SWEDEN" inscription on the top of the X1D, saying it was an assembly of parts from around the world. Assembling and testing of a camera may require a degree of skill, but nothing that cannot be trained to a new employee in a fairly short amount of time. The real problem seems to be the money to buy the parts and the availability of parts, especially the sensor. The disruption caused by the earthquake in Japan makes obtaining sensors challenging at best. There may be a tiny part in the camera that cannot be obtained in quantity. Who knows? But, I think the difficulty obtaining the funds to actually acquire the sensors may be the stumbling point at this juncture. The firmware for the camera seems to be mature enough to release the camera, and if Hasselblad could, they would be releasing cameras as quickly as they could. It is getting from point A to C that is the stumbling block, and I really don't know what B is.

I think we have to finally rename this thread to "Where is MY X1D?" :)

G
I'd like to think mine is frolicking happily on a sunny field together with all the other X1Ds. Maybe, just maybe, it has even met another X1D and are already thinking of having little X2Ds together. I am not sure my happiness is more important than theirs. Worst case I'll have to buy two now just so they can stay together. Hopefully, they will be willing to relocate to London. I guess we could move as well but the Sterling has taken such a beating that moving to another country (Sweden?) would mean quite the loss for me.

Either way. I'm really happy for my X1D.