The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

KeithL

Same with the Batis lenses for the Sony A7RII. The 90mm XCD lens seemed a lot more difficult. As Josh Merwin noted, there is very little room on the lens barrel to grab and twist. Oh well, let's hope this is the biggest issue with the X1D. No doubt, everyone will be evaluating the X1D performance using their own baseline camera to set expectations. For example, someone thinking that the X1D's AF will be comparable to a DSLR or even a really good mirrorless will be very disappointed. OTOH, if your baseline is the AF performance of medium format cameras like the H series or the Phase XF, you may be perfectly satisfied.
I've got Leica M lenses that slide on and other Leica M lenses that take a certain amount of effort.

Variability?

dchew

Interesting about mounting the lens. I was at my dealer a few weeks ago. They had one there that had yet to be delivered to a customer, and asked me to remove and reinstall the lens, which I did. It was quite difficult. Then they asked, "would you return that if it was yours?" I said if I planned to use a zoom maybe not because I wouldn't be swapping lenses that often, but with fixed primes, probably.

I think there were some early bodies that were incredibly tight. I could get the lens on and off but had to concentrate to do it. I have both the Batis and Loxia lenses; it was a lot tighter than those.

Dave

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My first Loxia the 21 was so tight the dealer and I thought we had the wrong mount ... then finally muscled it on ... and over time it seems a bit easier.
Part of that is no fear at this point that I might damage lens or the mount.

Bob

Here it is (regarding the original thread title)!

I got my production version today together with the 45mm lens. First in my area and third in the world (first is true and the latter is not for sure, but doesn't really matter though :D....).

Just some quick additional infos:

1. selection of various focus points works well by the front and back wheel when in focus point selection modus (after pressing the top camera located focus button for little longer than a second or so). One can do this with looking at the live view LCD and also by touching the targeted focus point directly on the LCD. Moreover, the selection with front/back wheel (normally for aperture and shutter selection) is also possible when looking through the viewfinder, meaning that one can do the changes without having to take the eye away from the viewfinder. Quite nice IMO or actually rather brilliant!

2. When looking at the live view LCD and manual focusing (rotating the lens jut a little) the LCD goes immediately to 100% for accurate focus acquisition and goes back to normal full view when stopping rotating the lens. Really smart feature, bravo Hasselblad! This feature can be put On or Off in the menu.

3. the 45mm lens can be changed well and without problems, but it is true that it is fitted a bit stronger to the lens barrel than e.g. on the current H6D. But still well within specs I would say.

That's all for now, she is charging....
(sorry, only iPhone night images, too lazy now....) Good night.

Godfrey

Demo'ing a camera for 20 minutes and dealing with the reality of owning a purchase after spending
next to no time with a camera are different. Especially when everyone is telling you at the demo how
"small" the camera is.

Walking all day with a camera will tell you your limits. I love large cameras with great big OVF but
for travel and being a bit less conspicuous I will carry the smallest camera I can find that will
give me decent IQ. Even then I will use a monopod 90% of the time.

The lens changing may not have been apparent at the demo as you are handed the camera ...
from someone wearing white cotton gloves ....

The Loxia lenses for the Sony with gaskets are very difficult to put on ... but doable.

I am sure that he will grow to love the camera over time. Most of us would.

Bob
Um, no one at either of the demos I attended was wearing white gloves. At both, there were several bodies and lenses on the table and they were simply handed to visitors when requested. I changed lenses on the two bodies I looked at several times. They fit snugly, about the same as my Hasselblad V system lenses do—which is more snugly than my Nikon, Leica M, or Leica SL lenses fit. The X1D lenses have weather sealing o-rings which might add a little more resistance in taking them on and off. I didn't really notice it.

I knew within moments of picking up the SL and its standard lens that it weighed nearly the same as my SL did with a Summilux-R 50 or Summicron-R 90 fitted. Not a light, small camera, except in the context of being a medium format camera. A solid, dense, pro-grade camera with high caliber build.

I just don't see the point of complaining about all this stuff. Report what you see when you review something, don't phrase your observations as complaints.

G

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Um, no one at either of the demos I attended was wearing white gloves.

I just don't see the point of complaining about all this stuff. Report what you see when you review something, don't phrase your observations as complaints.

G
Hyperbole ... I am sure that you can recognize it ... if not be assured that I know
no one had white gloves ... that is more Leica limited edition than H/DJI missing edition issue.

Leica M-P Lenny Kravitz ?Correspondent? limited edition camera gets the white glove treatment | Leica Rumors

The whole point of complaining is to elevate one's position as a reviewer ... and I wholeheartedly agree that it is unnecessary and unproductive.

But the whole review thing these days is more about I got the new new thing than it is to convey crystal astute observations about a product.

Bob

PeterA

Firstly - what a relief to read Hucbell's response to some of the nonsense posted on here and on lululand etc

BEWARE didactic rant follows:

Any company is simply a bundle of contracts - the financing function is different to the manufacturing fucntion which is different to the marketing/sales function etc etc etc
It has become standard practise in companies to outsource many parts of the total value add chain - to more efficient practitioners.

Private equity exists because it is a more efficient capital allocator for certain companies than other options.
Private equity companies dont print money they manage money on behalf of investors.
The investors in the private equity company invest based on a timetable of investment - usually a 3-5 year cycle.
Therefore the Private Equity company has a shorter duration of investment than a publicly listed company ( whose going concern hypothesis implies infinite duration)

The duration of investment is managed either by selling out at a profit to a new private equity company for the next leg of growth OR a trade sale OR an IPO.

This is the 21st century folks best to get to understand some basics in finance and how business is done these days and spare the forum the tedium of implied criticism of changes in sources of capital ( shareholders) or sources of components( China) etc etc

FYI - there is ZERO negative information to be gleaned form a change in capital provider ( aka private equity firm) - in fact there is probably only POSITIVE information to be gleaned by the possibility that a succesful consumer digital and engineered product manufacturer is a willing owner in Hasselblad- it implies a move MORE towards longer duration and stability.

PS I'm still waiting for my order to come through.

KeithL

Firstly - what a relief to read Hucbell's response to some of the nonsense posted on here and on lululand etc

BEWARE didactic rant follows:

Any company is simply a bundle of contracts - the financing function is different to the manufacturing fucntion which is different to the marketing/sales function etc etc etc
It has become standard practise in companies to outsource many parts of the total value add chain - to more efficient practitioners.

Private equity exists because it is a more efficient capital allocator for certain companies than other options.
Private equity companies dont print money they manage money on behalf of investors.
The investors in the private equity company invest based on a timetable of investment - usually a 3-5 year cycle.
Therefore the Private Equity company has a shorter duration of investment than a publicly listed company ( whose going concern hypothesis implies infinite duration)

The duration of investment is managed either by selling out at a profit to a new private equity company for the next leg of growth OR a trade sale OR an IPO.

This is the 21st century folks best to get to understand some basics in finance and how business is done these days and spare the forum the tedium of implied criticism of changes in sources of capital ( shareholders) or sources of components( China) etc etc

FYI - there is ZERO negative information to be gleaned form a change in capital provider ( aka private equity firm) - in fact there is probably only POSITIVE information to be gleaned by the possibility that a succesful consumer digital and engineered product manufacturer is a willing owner in Hasselblad- it implies a move MORE towards longer duration and stability.

PS I'm still waiting for my order to come through.
Peter, your camera is in the post :)

I am going to rent a X1D + 90mm lens for the weekend. Unless something drastic happens :)
As it is taking its sweet time I might as well make sure this camera actually works for me and is not just a pretty face. At the moment I am fairly confident it will work, but hey it would be nice to take one out for a spin and be able to return it afterwards.

I have the following plans
- On location (outdoors) portrait shoot
- In studio (home) portrait shoot
- On location (a gym) fitness/athlete shoot
- In studio still life shoot if time permits. Mostly to try it on a tripod.

Got a pretty busy weekend, but I think I can make this work and I will pull the trigger tomorrow morning. Hopefully they still have it for rent by then :)

Anything in particular anyone want me to find out?

vjbelle

I am going to rent a X1D + 90mm lens for the weekend. Unless something drastic happens :)
As it is taking its sweet time I might as well make sure this camera actually works for me and is not just a pretty face. At the moment I am fairly confident it will work, but hey it would be nice to take one out for a spin and be able to return it afterwards.

I have the following plans
- On location (outdoors) portrait shoot
- In studio (home) portrait shoot
- On location (a gym) fitness/athlete shoot
- In studio still life shoot if time permits. Mostly to try it on a tripod.

Got a pretty busy weekend, but I think I can make this work and I will pull the trigger tomorrow morning. Hopefully they still have it for rent by then :)

Anything in particular anyone want me to find out?
I'm amazed that a rental house has one.... Does make some sense as then the camera is available to potential purchasers but still amazing. Hasselblad must have prioritized this sale. Hope it meets your expectations.

Victor

Your work speaks volumes about your talent as a photographer. :thumbup: I look forward to your findings and conclusion. I'd be interested in your take on battery life given such a busy weekend. Can you get through a full day of shooting on one battery charge? Also, can you adopt me? :cool:

Joe
:eek:

I will only have one battery so that's the most exciting test.

I'm amazed that a rental house has one.... Does make some sense as then the camera is available to potential purchasers but still amazing. Hasselblad must have prioritized this sale. Hope it meets your expectations.

Victor
I was told it's a demo unit and was part of the batch of cameras which went out in December.

bcambern

Same story with my local Samy's Camera. They just got the demo a couple of weeks ago and are now allowing it to go out on rental ($200/day).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I really don't get all the negativity here and on the Raber thread. Injection of cash into Hasselblad (or Phase One for Howard) is good. It's an expression of confidence in this segment of the industry.

I still hope to see my X1D order in April / May though ...

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would agree on the cash thing…

On the other hand, if someone says "April / May" I usually ask: "Yeah, but which year?"

Jokes aside, I hope you get your stuff "Really Soon Now".

Best regards
Erik

I really don't get all the negativity here and on the Raber thread. Injection of cash into Hasselblad (or Phase One for Howard) is good. It's an expression of confidence in this segment of the industry.

I still hope to see my X1D order in April / May though ...