The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

BANKER1

I really don't get all the negativity here and on the Raber thread. Injection of cash into Hasselblad (or Phase One for Howard) is good. It's an expression of confidence in this segment of the industry.

I still hope to see my X1D order in April / May though ...
As a banker for 42 years, we had a saying, "Throwing good money after bad.", where we had a policy of not trying to save a loan by making another loan. Earlier in this thread, someone postulated that DJI was injecting money trying to save their initial investment. I am sure DJI has the same policy of not "Throwing good money after bad.", so I agree with your analysis.

Regards,

Greg

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would suggest that DJI's ambition is probably "making Hasselblad profitable again". I would also suggest that a company like DJI can make a long term investment.

I don't think they are after the trademark, like having "Hasselblad 4K cameras" built into their drones.

Best regards
Erik

As a banker for 42 years, we had a saying, "Throwing good money after bad.", where we had a policy of not trying to save a loan by making another loan. Earlier in this thread, someone postulated that DJI was injecting money trying to save their initial investment. I am sure DJI has the same policy of not "Throwing good money after bad.", so I agree with your analysis.

Regards,

Greg

ErikKaffehr

If there is a shortage of sensors which one of these would you sell?

Hi,

Another conspiration theory, if there is a shortage of sensors, which one of these would you sell?

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 07.17.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 07.17.22.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 07.22.43.jpg

Best regards
Erik

MomentsForZen

An interesting, but unfair question, Erik ... until we dig a little deeper.

In my day job, I deal with the mathematics and probabilities of scenarios such as the one that you have proposed.

----------
The making of certain assumptions is required to answer your question.

The Most Probable assumption in the absence of any information (the usual situation until a little digging is done - we nearly always have Prior Information with an accuracy that will perceptively impact the predicted outcome) is that Hasselblad will sell the same number of each of the cameras, and that the profit margin is a fixed percentage of the retail price, and that they have the same number of forward sales.

In this mathematical Most Probable world, then the A5D-50c is your preferred product.

----------
However, I am certain that you (or others) have Prior Information about ...

1) the sales forecast (# of sales in a given time frame),

2) the sales that are already on the books from forward orders, and

3) the profilt margin for Hasselblad for each sale.

This Prior Information needs to be revealed, or else the result will be inconsistent with this "knowledge". The Prior Information in this instance is the answers to my questions, and an estimate of the accuracy of your answers.

----------
So back to you (and others) to reveal your individual answers (values and accuracy for 1 to 3 above).

I'm sure that more complex models of the supply of sensors, the choices that Hasselblad can make, and the vagaries of us, the customers. However, thay may not be any more useful due to the absence of hard facts.

And in closing, should the CFV-50c be added into the options? There may be some "hard" facts for this product that have been gleaned from annual replies, mandatory reporting be a company in Sweden, etc. I imagine that it could be a bit of a "sleeper" when I look at the various use-cases for the X1D. There could well be a large number of "amateurs" moving up from the the V-series (500 cameras) to the X-series.

----------

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

ErikKaffehr

Hi Richard,

I am aware of the things you mention. As a complication, we don't know if the Sony CMOS sensor is scarce or not, but Sony lost a lot of production capacity due to the earthquake, so they probably still have a backlog and MFD makers may not be their foremost priority.

So, Sony sensors may be scarce. So, say that HB has a batch of 1000 sensors available. The question may be how to allocate them.

Manufacturing cost is probably highest for the HD6-50c as it includes a quite complex camera that Hasselblad sells as the H5X at 7800 $US. The digital back on it's own has a similar complexity as the X1D-50c. Development costs on the X1D-50c are probably significantly higher, as the base firmware is the same but the X1D needs a lot of additional R&D.

Therefore we can assume that Hasselblad earns 26000 - 7800 - 9000 -> 9200$US more on HD6-50c than on a X1D-50c.

I would think that Hasselblad is late on X1D deliveries mostly due to delays in firmware development and limited manufacturing capacity.

But, if you are not flush with money and have limited supplies you may need to focus on what brings in most money.

Yes, the VFC-50c is an interesting product, but what I have heard it is not produced right now because of sensor shortage. I think Nick T. indicated that they would resume production later on.

Best regards
Erik

An interesting, but unfair question, Erik ... until we dig a little deeper.

In my day job, I deal with the mathematics and probabilities of scenarios such as the one that you have proposed.

----------
The making of certain assumptions is required to answer your question.

The Most Probable assumption in the absence of any information (the usual situation until a little digging is done - we nearly always have Prior Information with an accuracy that will perceptively impact the predicted outcome) is that Hasselblad will sell the same number of each of the cameras, and that the profit margin is a fixed percentage of the retail price, and that they have the same number of forward sales.

In this mathematical Most Probable world, then the A5D-50c is your preferred product.

----------
However, I am certain that you (or others) have Prior Information about ...

1) the sales forecast (# of sales in a given time frame),

2) the sales that are already on the books from forward orders, and

3) the profilt margin for Hasselblad for each sale.

This Prior Information needs to be revealed, or else the result will be inconsistent with this "knowledge". The Prior Information in this instance is the answers to my questions, and an estimate of the accuracy of your answers.

----------
So back to you (and others) to reveal your individual answers (values and accuracy for 1 to 3 above).

I'm sure that more complex models of the supply of sensors, the choices that Hasselblad can make, and the vagaries of us, the customers. However, thay may not be any more useful due to the absence of hard facts.

And in closing, should the CFV-50c be added into the options? There may be some "hard" facts for this product that have been gleaned from annual replies, mandatory reporting be a company in Sweden, etc. I imagine that it could be a bit of a "sleeper" when I look at the various use-cases for the X1D. There could well be a large number of "amateurs" moving up from the the V-series (500 cameras) to the X-series.

----------

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

17 pages and I couldn't find a decent shot taken with this camera. Have people not received it yet, or they haven't really gotten time to take pictures with it?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It seems that a handful photographers may have one delivered in the recent days.

Best regards
Erik

QUOTE=debabrata.ray;716330]17 pages and I couldn't find a decent shot taken with this camera. Have people not received it yet, or they haven't really gotten time to take pictures with it?[/QUOTE]

Godfrey

Well it HAS tainted my perception of Hallelblad
I never looked at either the Lunar or Stella—just an utter waste of time and an aberration.
When I think Hasselblad, it's always 500CM or SWC in my mind. That's why picking up the X1D seemed so right. :)

G

stephengilbert

Wow that conspiracy post was really the best. GetDPI is clearly the go-to site for thoughtful discussions of all subjects photographic.

All that's missing is information. Think about it. The original question was "Where is the X1D?" That's been answered by one of two people who said, "Here it is; it arrived today." I guess the posts about long overdue orders count, too. The rest is, what? It's like LuLa 2.0.

D&A

Joe, I bet if you send that composite/comparative image to Hasselblad for marketing purposes, you'd have an X1D on your doorstep the very next day. :)

Dave (D&A)

D&A

What I found interesting is a few days ago I stumbled upon a business article referring to a moderately known drone company (not DJI) that had a prototype hit on their hands and were overwhelmed with preorders, that far exceeded their expectations. All they need was sufficient capital to enable gearing up for production. Apparently they weren't able to secure it and so both their new model and possibly the company's future is in question. Unfortunately I cannot find that article to reference the actual company nor the particulars. Point is, infusion of capital is often necessary and quite normal in similar situations and I for one think the situation with Hasselblad is both encouraging and exciting.

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
17 pages and I couldn't find a decent shot taken with this camera. Have people not received it yet, or they haven't really gotten time to take pictures with it?
For a shipping camera with such enthusiastic proponents for it and it's high image quality expectations there certainly is a dearth of images isn't there? Heck, not even cats ... :toocool:

Tkhalloran

Hi,
I am brand new to this forum but have gleaned a lot from all the posts on "Where is the X1D ????", so thought that I would add my first impressions of the X1D. Received the X1D two days ago with the 45mm and 90mm from B&H in New York. I ordered mine about 10 or 12 hours after it appeared on the B&H site on June 22nd.

I wanted the X1D for its greater dynamic range, flash sync to 2000th second and its smaller size. I have been using a Nikon D800 for almost 4 years and have had analog Hasselblads for many years.

So far the X1D delivers on the greater dynamic range, flash sync and smaller size. The flash sync is very welcome since I photograph people often outside in the sun and have been using HSS to overcome sync at higher shutter speeds. My surprises in relation to the D800 are the slower initial turn on or startup, slower AF performance, manual shutter speed not remembered from the last shutdown and reduced battery life. I do not have a second battery since it was not available but will likely get two more batteries to be safe. I am still getting used to the EVF but think that in time I will like it better due to its live view capability. I have not been able to get a real time histogram on the EVF which I think would be a plus. I also miss the highlight alert that I had on my D800.

Hope that this gives a bit more info to some of you. As time goes on I will post other likes and dislikes.

Tim