The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

D&A

Just a thought....at present, is it possible the usual assembly of a small number of cameras are being done by hand each day (and subsequently shipped) as Hasselblad originally planned for its production when first announcing the X1D.....but when overwhelmed by preorders and thus entered into negotiations with DIJ on both financing and planned ramping up of production, the logistics of those latter plans are still being worked out and therefore in the interim, only small number of hand built units are the ones currently being released? If true, I suspect a reasonably large number of cameras will be forthcoming in the near future, once everything is settled upon and production on a revised assembly line is ramped up.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

Just a thought....at present, is it possible the usual assembly of a small number of cameras are being done by hand each day (and subsequently shipped) as Hasselblad originally planned when first announcing the X1D.....but when overwhelmed by preorders and entered into negotiations with DIJ on both financing and planned ramping up of production, the logistics of those latter plans are still being worked out and thus in the interim, only small number of hand built units are the ones currently being released? If true, I suspect a reasonably large number of cameras will be forthcoming in the near future, once everything is ramped up.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, I worked for a camera manufacturer. I could think of a million reason why shipping is delayed, each as valid as another. Only Hasselblad knows. One thing is sure, what is going on is really unusual (a one month product delay is rare in the business (and really expensive), by this length of delay is almost unheard of). The fact some cameras are getting out is a good sign as the company is trying to deliver.

By I can tell you one thing, Hasselblad will be reevaluating their product development system and strategy. They will not be repeating this anytime in the future.

D&A

Yes, totally, just wanted to post the pic again! I'm sending it to Hasselblad with the disclaimer that they can only use it once I receive my production camera...
Maybe this is what Hasselblad had in mind when deciding against a wired or IR remote shutter release solution for the X1D. They expected the footpad of one's pet dog or cat to comfortably push on the shutter button for it's firing, as your dog so aptly showed in your pic a few posts above. Of course for continuous shutter firing, you'll need to have a zip lock bag of their treats nearby! :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

hcubell

Just a thought....at present, is it possible the usual assembly of a small number of cameras are being done by hand each day (and subsequently shipped) as Hasselblad originally planned for its production when first announcing the X1D.....but when overwhelmed by preorders and thus entered into negotiations with DIJ on both financing and planned ramping up of production, the logistics of those latter plans are still being worked out and therefore in the interim, only small number of hand built units are the ones currently being released? If true, I suspect a reasonably large number of cameras will be forthcoming in the near future, once everything is settled upon and production on a revised assembly line is ramped up.

Dave (D&A)
Sound plausible, but we are really just guessing. I think once the deal with DJI is finalized and announced, we will learn more and hopefully get some accurate information about the pace of future deliveries.

etto72

I started this Thread 3 months ago!...today is January 14th !! I am still without the camera and still with no delivery info about my X1D 4116 edition :banghead: :banghead:

A few days ago I had a phone call with one of the Adorama employer, apparently they didn't get any single X1D standard edition either !!!!
I wrote to Hasselblad asking for a rough shipping estimation for the 4116 edition in the USA
here their reply:
"Unfortunately, We have no specific dates for shipping at certain dealers. I can assure you that we do all we can do get the cameras out asap to customers waiting. Hope you receive yours soon! It is definitely a camera worth waiting for. Beautiful design and outstanding image quality."

Personally the saddest part of the all this story is not the delay but the total lack of informations!!

Cheers
Ettore

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was going to order the 4116 version on the basis that perhaps Hasselblad would work harder to get the black special edition out first, especially since it was at a price premium. However, I recall seeing that it looks like these might even be later than the regular cameras - I'm hoping not, but there was a statement in Kevin Raber's review of the X1D about that before Christmas IIRC.

Per LuLa article about cameras 'shipping' back in December:
"The X1D Black Model 4116 will begin shipment later, and no date was given. "

Paul2660

I was going to order the 4116 version on the basis that perhaps Hasselblad would work harder to get the black special edition out first, especially since it was at a price premium. However, I recall seeing that it looks like these might even be later than the regular cameras - I'm hoping not, but there was a statement in Kevin Raber's review of the X1D about that before Christmas IIRC.

The black paint takes longer to dry!!, remember it's all hand assembled in Sweden. (Sorry could not resist).

Paul Caldwell

Tkhalloran

Thanks for your post. Do you have any comments regarding the shutter sound of either lens compared to your D800? TIA

Phil
Phil,

The shutter sound is a bit unexpected in regards to an in lens shutter. It is quieter than the D800 and no noticeable vibration. It reminds me of someone flicking a finger on a tin can.

Tim

Shashin

But the black looks really nice...

Godfrey

You mean it has a tinny sound.
'Tinny' has the connotation of "cheap and junky", which isn't the case. The demo units that I exercised in June have a sharp and metallic sound, just a hair louder than the Synchro-Compur shutter in my SWC. It's a different timbre from any focal plane shutter I've had, but not particularly loud. (My 500CM sounds like a steam engine coming to a stop by comparison, mostly the sound of the rear barn doors opening and the mirror lifting... the aperture and shutter sounds are lost in the din.)

G

Godfrey

I wonder how many orders have been canceled due to the delay and also
the announcement of the Fuji GFX
Have to admit: I have no such curiosity. I wonder if Hasselblad will introduce the lens that I want/need (21-22mm please!) to justify the X1D, and then I wonder how I'll raise the money for the body and lens if they do... :toocool:

G