The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Have to admit: I have no such curiosity. I wonder if Hasselblad will introduce the lens that I want/need (21-22mm please!) to justify the X1D, and then I wonder how I'll raise the money for the body and lens if they do... :toocool:

G
That's not a very big zoom range! :ROTFL:

For 2.3 fps someone might want to revisit their math because other than the first two shots that doesn't sound like > 1fps to me.
I can't say what they had it set on, but I posted a while ago from when I had a demo unit. I shot the stopwatch on the iPhone and it was very close to 2.3 FPS. The only trick/downside is that you don't see the image on the EVF in between each frame. This may be/hopefully changed with the next firmware update. The camera seems to be bypassing some functions in order to get to this speed.

conger

Clearly this is not a (dprev)NIKON theme... just a few dogs... and not one single cat!

Indeed peculiar... a dearth of 'real' pictures from photographer-owned cameras.

The thick plottens... an NDA?... Putin strong-arm methods?... something Trumped up?

Watch this space... and all the others.

-g-

To quote Monty P....
John: Oh, I say, have you seen page eight? Nixon’s had an asshole transplant.

Terry: Ohhh, have you seen the stop press then?

John: No.

Terry: The asshole has rejected him.

The X1D was returned to the dealer earlier today. I took some notes for a blog post, but I shall just share the notes with you guys straight away.

To summarise I was really pleased with my time with the X1D and I am confident that for my portrait it will perform well. At the moment it does not really have the lens I need for my still life work, but hopefully that will come later this year. The X1D was a pleasure to use as well, with well thought out ergonomics for the most part. Did not have a chance to try any architecture or landscape, but since portraits are 90% of what I do I'm happy. During the two shots, which lasted for a total of 4 hours, there were no serious problems which I can remember. At the end of the second shoot I noticed the camera was warm, but in no way anywhere near what the it was during the initial demos. Although I have not delivered the final images yet I am confident my 'clients' will be more than pleased. Their Instagram feeds will never have looked so good before and :)

Below is a collection of observations from my time with the X1D. Some are very nitpicky, but nothing was close to making me cancel my pre-order. There are certainly a few things left for Hasselblad to iron out in the firmware, but I think we all already knew that.

AF good in ideal conditions and OK in poor, not yet analysed the result but from an inital look the keep rate seemed good

Lens changing - takes some effort and didnt immediately see the markings and the lens release button is in a dumb place which makes it very difficult to get a good grip on the camera body and the lens at the same time.

screen - poor, I wish it had a higher resolution and a tiny bit more oomph as it does not do the photos justice. Whilst looking at the photos during the shoot on the screen I was underwhelmed at first until I got home and put them on my iMac. Possibly, I am spoilt with the amazing Fuji JPGs, or I was just super hyped and expected bird song and rainbows :)

EVF better, but possibly a little bit choppy still

focus selection point - a let down - awkward to reach the button in the first place and instead of let me select point it just switches between af/mf even thought I pressed it for long enough and sometimes seemed to bring up the menu????

battery life - 250 photos in 2 hours resulted in 40% left then 20% after faffing around in cafe this is good enough for me

some settings seemed to reset/change after turn the camera on/off (shutter speed for instance)

turning camera on 7 seconds for display to turn and show settings screen and another 2 seconds for the camera to detect the SD card and count the number of images

worked with my Elinchrom Sky Port flash trigger

black out time after each shot is disruptive, but I have to wait for my flash to recharge anyway so no shots missed

live view seems to turn off at the most inconvenient moments

no jpg simulations, not even a black and white one

the af/mf and wb/iso buttons are quite tiny and just a tiny bit awkward to reach and use while the camera is against eye

phocus app did not let me save images to phone, but maybe that only works with JPGs

phocus app was not even keen on SHOWING me the photos on the phone, it only worked for a few photos

phocus app worked fine as a remote trigger, but I would much prefer a cabled option as it seemed to lose connection once in a while

Godfrey

Thank Erik!

Overall sounds pretty good, and sounds like plenty of room for improvement with the firmware. What lens for your still life work are you waiting for?

G

Thank Erik!

Overall sounds pretty good, and sounds like plenty of room for improvement with the firmware. What lens for your still life work are you waiting for?

G
A proper macro lens would be nice, even though I do not really do anything closer than 'close-up' photography. I wish we knew more about the lens roadmap.

KeithL

focus selection point - a let down - awkward to reach the button in the first place and instead of let me select point it just switches between af/mf even thought I pressed it for long enough and sometimes seemed to bring up the menu????
Could it be the camera you tried didn't have the latest firmware? It should allow you to select focus points using the two wheels.

Godfrey

I don't doubt it.

The point I was making is if that feature was available to you did you try it? I'm unsure of how intuitive the two wheel option will be.
I have used other cameras with the 'two wheel focus area selection' control paradigm. They work fine, just takes a few minutes to learn how to do it. At least for me, I don't move the focus point around enough to find it inconvenient: I only do that when I have the camera on a tripod and am doing table top work. Moving the focus point in that circumstance makes sense because I can target different parts of the subject without changing my camera setup; for hand-held work, I'd rather just point at what I want to focus on and then reframe. I've never seen the 'focus error' problems that I hear so much about with that methodology.

G

KeithL

I have used other cameras with the 'two wheel focus area selection' control paradigm. They work fine, just takes a few minutes to learn how to do it. At least for me, I don't move the focus point around enough to find it inconvenient: I only do that when I have the camera on a tripod and am doing table top work. Moving the focus point in that circumstance makes sense because I can target different parts of the subject without changing my camera setup; for hand-held work, I'd rather just point at what I want to focus on and then reframe. I've never seen the 'focus error' problems that I hear so much about with that methodology.

G
I was hoping Erik had tried it on the X1D and had an opinion. Whatever, it's something I'd have to try.

I was hoping Erik had tried it on the X1D and had an opinion. Whatever, it's something I'd have to try.
Yes Keith I did try it and my opinion is that to start with you have to press the af/mf button BEFORE you can use the control wheels to move the focus selection point. The first step was rather awkward and there was a lot of mistakes made, and using the control wheels was not fantastic either. I'm sure it will be easier with time, but nevertheless it is a rather poor solution when working with a subject who moves and when you want to change orientation.